Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

R6700v2 ROUTER RANDOMLY DISCONNECTING!!!

So far, I have not found a discussion that helped to fix my router. Is it the firmware? Do I have a defected router? If so, how do I get a new one? I am within the one-year warranty still.

Basically at random times during the day, the "online" light turns orange and I'm disconnected from the internet. My modem is fine. I tested it. When I plugged in my laptop with an ethernet cord to my laptop, the internet is fine. So it's DEFINITELY my router and the connection keeps dropping and it doesn't re-establish the connection by itself. I have to keep power cycling my router a few times a day now. It's gotten worse.

How do I solve this problem? Do I go back to an older firmware? Is it my ISP? IDK I'm trying to find answers here because I dropped $100 on a router that doesn't work.

Thank you!  This sucks. I would like to fix it.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted

Re: R6700v2 ROUTER RANDOMLY DISCONNECTING!!!

wrote:
Do I go back to an older firmware?

Did it start after you installed new firmware? If so, you could go back a version.

You could also factory reset the current firmware to see if that helps.

Which device is this? Your footer lists two different versions of the R6700.

Pick the one that is relevant and get the firmware from there:

>>> R6700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

>>>R6700V2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've had the exact same issue since I bought my R6700v2. To fix the issue, I had to power cycling router and modem otherwise it wouldn't establish the internet. After messing with the router settings, I was able to fix the problem. Right now one month has been passed and i haven't had any dc issues so far.

So what I did is;

1. Upgrade router to latest firmware which is 1.2.0.24 right now.

2. Type "http://192.168.1.1/index.htm" in browser and get into router settings.

3. Advanced -> Setup -> Qos Setup

4. Delete all Qos Rules

5. Check the "Turn Internet Access Qos On"

6. Set Uplink bandwidthMaximum to 20 Mbps. Please note that this setting is depends your internet speed, my internet speed is 100mbps, and I found 20 mbps is the optimal value after making speedtest check. If you make a speedtest, please increase the default number that test gives you, atleast 8 or 9.

7. In "Add Rules" section, check the "Qos by Device" and chose your computer, then set "Priority" to Highest. Click "+ Add" then "Apply".

I hope this will help your dc issues aswell. It was very frustrating power cycling modem and router everyday 1-2 times. With the method I did, now I can enjoy the router to the fullest.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

This seems to fix the issue BUT it also halves my internet download speed from 950Mbps to 460Mbps ish. Wish Netgear could come up with a solution.

Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

You might try seeing if IPV6 is disabled on the router and try enabling that to see if there's any change. 

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Since my issue is definitely tied to the DNS failing when a computer is woken from sleep, there is no way that worrying about the internet protocol being a fix for the problem. Hard to figure out why the Quality of Service works but it may lock down the DNS tables. I guess I could set up manual IP address. Hmm. I will give that a shot.

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

The only other thing i can think of is maybe setting your Ip and DNS to static. You could try the 8.8.8.8 or the other one, but it might be better to use the 192.168.xxx.xxx, or whatever ipconfig /all shows for your default gateway. 

I hope you get it worked out

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

After the router went down 5 times in less than an hour, I quit. Enough was enough. I bought an expensive Linksys router that the comments said worked with Cox Gigablast (which is why bought the Netgear in the first place). Wireless is faster, setup was so much easier, even got my Wemo lighting module to work without all the router swapping and pushups that my Netgear made me do. Altogether a much better and faster router but much more expnsive.

Linksys Max-Stream AC2200 MU-MIMO Tri-band Wireless Router

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Going back to 1.2.0.16 usually resolves the instability issues with the chipset. Unfortunately, it opens up security gaps and has less functionality than the latest firmware. 

Netgear upgraded me to the v3 under the one year hardware warranty and it's been stable for the past few days. 

Message 9 of 9