Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700v2 - Where is Downstream Bandwidth Control?

decker12
Star

R6700v2 - Where is Downstream QOS?

I'm fiddling around with QOS settings on my R6700v2, but I can't find any option for Downstream bandwidth settings. I can only see Uplink bandwidth settings, which isn't useful for what I can imagine the vast majority of people want to do with QOS.

Using the latest firmware. What am I missing here?

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: R6700v2 - Where is Downstream QOS?

Neither the R6700v2 Data Sheet nor the User Manual does list the second half of the feature you are behind, there is only a global Uplink Bandwidth Control, no Downlink Bandwidth Control.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Netgear does designate this as...

"Manage Uplink Bandwidth
Control Uplink bandwidth control lets you check the maximum uplink bandwidth that your Internet connection can support and specify the maximum uplink bandwidth."

...it's independant of the QoS rules which can be set in place. 

Message 2 of 14
decker12
Star

I don't think that quite answers my question. Let me word it this way.

I have a 300mb/s down, and 15mb/s up connection.

Hypothetically, I want to permanently limit my entire network to only use maximum of 100mb/s down and 5mb/s.

On other routers, I have both a downstream and upstream setting, so I'd set it to 100mb/s down and 5mb/s.

On my R6700v2, I only have the option to set an upstream setting. If I set the upstream on the R6700v2 to 5mb/s, speedtests show me with a 300mb/s download speed and a 5mb/s upload speed.

How do adjust both the downstream and upstream on my R6700v2?

Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Neither the R6700v2 Data Sheet nor the User Manual does list the second half of the feature you are behind, there is only a global Uplink Bandwidth Control, no Downlink Bandwidth Control.

Message 4 of 14
decker12
Star

Right you are. Thanks for the reply.

Baffling omission from Netgear. I can't imagine why they would bother including a QOS service that only works on the uplink side. If you wanted to prioritize, say, an incoming video conference or VOIP call over whatever someone else who is streaming on Netflix, you can't. I don't know how the per service or device QOS rules can function in a downlink situation without knowing what the available bandwidth is.

Message 5 of 14
myersw
Master

Download is going to you and you may not have any control over accepting other then no resend. Upstream the router does have some control over. Therefore QoS only looks at upstream which in effect controls the download as TCP IP is a send and listen for a good response (ack) before sending more. 

Message 6 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Hmm Bill .... this question is about the pure bandwidth control. A smart router can always measure and identify the amount of traffic on the downlink, and limit the related sessions where they are flowing out to the other interfaces on the (W)LAN. Why ever, this feature is not implemented or not available. Under the QoS label the vendor try to do some ultra smart things, again, similar technology, always contrlling what is flowing out of the router. But that's not the question, the subject was choosen wrong by the OP.

Message 7 of 14

@schumaku wrote:

Under the QoS label the vendor try to do some ultra smart things, again, similar technology, always contrlling what is flowing out of the router. But that's not the question, the subject was choosen wrong by the OP.

300 Mbps is on the limit where Netgear says that QoS is a waste of time.

For a start you don't need to protect some processes from others because there is so much bandwidth.

They also say that running QoS on a router to do those "ultra smart things" takes processing power and that this can be a bigger hit on bandwidth than any gains you get from using QoS. That's why "turn it off" is an early recommendation when people complain that they lose bandwidth between modem and router.

Basic QoS may be one of those things is past its "use by" date.

Anyone who wants seriously sophisticated bandwidth control can buy something like the XR500 gaming router with its DumaOS.

Message 8 of 14
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward

Totally agree with your thoughts on QoS. My first "high speed Internet connection" was a DSL 1.544Mbps link. Felt like really flying after dialup. That link was only used by one device, but if there had been more then QoS would have been needed. Now with the high speed, I currently have 250/20, the need for QoS is pretty much over. Multiple folks streaming at a time plus other Internet use without a hiccup. With this info I maybe giving away my age of 82 years. 

Message 9 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@myersw wrote:

@michaelkenward

Now with the high speed, I currently have 250/20, the need for QoS is pretty much over. 

When it's coming to heavy usage, asymmetric connections can be cumbersome, and still require certain QoS measures.

Message 10 of 14

What sort of usage and what sort of measures?

Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

What sort of usage and what sort of measures?

Well, start with the situation when the "thin" uplink is saturated, the download side has problems with basic TCP answers to a SYN, the SYN ACK does hang in the saturated uplink. One of the very basic QoS measures...

Message 12 of 14

Does that mean anything in English? Is it describing something that people might actually recognise?

Does it relate to gaming? (The usual reason for people wanting QoS.) How about streaming? A massive file transfer?

The original question didn't actually present a scenario for what they wanted to achieve beyond controlling QoS.

I was puzzled by this bit:

"I want to permanently limit my entire network to only use maximum of 100mb/s down and 5mb/s."

I assume that the last but meant 5 Mbps up.

Message 13 of 14
decker12
Star

Thanks everyone for the intelligent discussion about this! I appreciate all the responses.

The scenario I was proposing was purposely - and temporarily - lowering the available bandwidth provided by my ISP, I was curious how I could limit my entire network to something closer to 20mb/s down and 2mb/s up.

My cable modem service has data caps and the property is being used for AirBnB rentals. I have problems with renters using the 300mb/s pipe to blast through the property's monthly data allowance in a week. If I could log into the router and change the QOS to limit the renters to something slower (such as 20mb/s), they may still be able to ruin the data cap, but it would take them longer to do it.

It does not appear that I can accomplish that with this router as I cannot set a maximum download rate using QOS. I realize there's other ways to manage this (although I can't see any other way on this particular router) but as I said in the past I've been able to handle it with a simple QOS change. When the renters left and I returned to the property, I could disable QOS and get the full pipe back for my personal use.

Shame, as it worked fine on my older Buffalo router that had DD-WRT preinstalled on it. It remembered the QOS settings between enable/disable so it was as simple as checking a box when I wanted to turn on the "limiter".

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7