Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 Can't Reset Password or login after firmware update

CantonDan
Aspirant

R6700v3 Can't Reset Password or login after firmware update

I just upgraded the R6700v3 to the latest firmware and now I can't login.  I am put into a loop asking me to enter a new password.  When I try and enter the new password, I receive a message that it's not meeting the password requirement - even though it does.  I've performed a hard reset of the router and after entering the default password it brings me to a screen to enter the new password and again I can never meet the password requirement, even though my password is 12 characters, includes numbers, special characters, and uppercase and lowercase letters.  Any suggestions???? 

Message 1 of 8
microchip8
Master

Re: R6700v3 Can't Reset Password or login after firmware update

How did you reset? Using the Reset button on the back of the router?
Message 2 of 8

@CantonDan wrote:

I am put into a loop asking me to enter a new password.  When I try and enter the new password, I receive a message that it's not meeting the password requirement - even though it does. 

Are you sure about that?

Netgear is being a pain by adding ever stronger security features that just get in the way.

How are you trying to access the router? An app or the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

Wired or wifi?

Message 3 of 8
CantonDan
Aspirant

I’m accessing the router via a web browser and I performed the hard reset by using a paper clip and pressing the reset button for 60 seconds.  The router is being successfully reset - when the router resets - it puts me into the loop of trying to reset the password.  Help!!!!

Message 4 of 8

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

I wouldn't usually advise it, but for once, and as  an experiment, it might be worth trying to get into the thing with the Nighthawk App.

I say that because Netgear is determined that we should all use that to set up a new router. It may be that they have broken something in the latest update and the GUI won't work. I do hope not.

Message 5 of 8
CantonDan
Aspirant

Modem is a netgear CM500 - it’s only a modem and isn’t a combination modem/router.

Message 6 of 8
Kitsap
Master

How are you connected to the router, wired or Wi-Fi?  Repeat of question from @michaelkenward .

What web browser are you using?  Have you tried a different one?  Edge, Firefox, Chrome?

Did you clear the cache on the web browser you are using?

Message 7 of 8
CantonDan
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.

I’m connected to the router wirelessly.  I’ll try wired next time I’m in front of it.

I’ve tried Chrome & Microsoft Edge and cleared the cache on both browsers without any luck.  

Frustrating!!!!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7