Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

Benthebot
Initiate

R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

Hi. 

I have a Netgear 6700v3 connected to a Netgear CM600 modem. I pay for 300Mbps download and 30Mbps upload. I usually get 300-340Mbps download during speed tests. I noticed recently that I was only getting download speeds of about 150Mbps. I tested several times over a few days and the speeds were staying the same. I plugged my computer directly into my modem and I started getting above 300 again, so it seemed the problem was with my router. I tried rebooting and factory resetting my router a couple times, but that didn't help (both on factory settings and after making changes). I found another forum thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-R7000-Slow-Internet-Speed-Our-Fix-SO...) about an R7000 with similar problems. I skimmed through it and saw that he fixed his problem by rolling back a firmware version, so I gave that a shot. 

I noticed my router had firmware auto updates turned on and version 1.0.4.78 installed. I downloaded version 1.0.3.66 and flashed the firmware through the web interface. I immediately started getting speeds over 300Mbps again (both on factory settings and after making changes). I upgraded the firmware back to the newest version, and the speeds dropped again. I downgraded it to 1.0.3.66 again, and it was fixed again.

So now I'm using 1.0.3.66 and turned off firmware auto updates. I couldn't find others with this same issue on the same model, but I thought it should be reported somewhere. Let me know if there is a better place to report (seems like I couldn't contact Netgear support without paying for premium support). 

Thanks,
-Ben

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 101
that1crzywhtguy
Aspirant

Thanks for posting this. Remedied the issue for me as well!

Message 2 of 101
whoodat
Aspirant

Is there any update on this, will Netgear be releasing a newer firmware? I too had to roll back and now things work ok but I hate to leave it on old firmware.

Message 3 of 101
a531
Aspirant

Worked for me also, before rolling back around 200 mbps, after rollback 497mbps!

Thanks for the help!

Message 4 of 101
Akrios
Initiate

Myself and a friend had the same issue. I noticed slow download speeds the other day, ran a couple speed tests and confirmed something was up. We both have gigabit FIOS and I could not get more than 200-250Mbps up and down. I tried factory resets etc and nothing worked. Both speedtest.net and Verizon’s speed test to their network which consistently gets high 800s to 900s was getting sub 300. Reset my ONT, plugged into ONT directly and the speeds were better. Eventually I tried rolling back from 1.0.4 to 1.0.3 and the speeds were fixed!

I rolled back and turned auto update off. Really annoying the new firmware was causing this issue. Wasted a day or two troubleshooting and even calling Verizon. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Also, this was on the r6400v2, not the v3!! So it effected the v2 as well.
Message 5 of 101
stanjohn
Aspirant

Classic memory leak in firmware, do they test this stuff ? Truned off all features I could, even 5G radio, it helps but still have to reboot every day to get performance back. Also down graded version to V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 from current 1.0.4.78_10.0.55 it helped a little but this problem has been in the last two release time to fix this passed, who ever is testing and coding need more training.

Message 6 of 101
stanjohn
Aspirant

Trying V1.0.2.52_1.0.39 firware now, yes I factory reset after loading new fireware.

This memory leak seems related to the speed of the connection between the router and modem, wonder if back pressure/flow control from the router to the modem is working ? My speculation is when the router is flooded with data the buffers in the router's memory doesn't recover and some memory is lost. Over time this causes the router to slow down and a reboot is a way to recover the lost memory.

Message 7 of 101
Benthebot
Initiate

To clarify, the speed problem I described in my original post would happen immediately when loading the new firmware, not over time. The memory leak problem might be different.

Message 8 of 101
stanjohn
Aspirant

Just tried the V1.0.4.78_10.0.55 file abt the same several hours and router needs a reboot to recover normal speed ping times go from 20ms to 200ms to 2000ms I may try dd-wrt os next hope it is better ?

Message 9 of 101
myersw
Master

@stanjohn wrote:

Classic memory leak in firmware, do they test this stuff ? 

HIghly doubtful. Netgear seems to have forgotten what good tested firmware is. Same issues release after release. Only relief for folks is to install back level firmware. Not the direction most folks want to go, but seems the only solution for many. From what I see, there seems to be little or no oversite of firmware being shipped. If there was QA then ongoing bugs would have been fixed or the firmware would not be released. Reason I went elsewhere for my network equipment. Network now just works. No issues, never a reboot except for firmware update. Have never pushed the reset button after initial install. 

Message 10 of 101
Jharlan628
Tutor

Where can I find the older firmware and directions on how to roll it back? I’m a tech noob ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Message 11 of 101
stanjohn
Aspirant

@Jharlan628 wrote:
Where can I find the older firmware and directions on how to roll it back? I’m a tech noob ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

firmware is under downloads , load the firmware , factory reset , reload your settings.

Message 12 of 101
stanjohn
Aspirant

Just tried newest V1.0.4.82_10.0.57 no improvement

In picture before long ping times just after reboot short ping times for internet traffic 

first 4 lines are local with 2nd line wireless local 

time frame about 8 hours

Message 13 of 101
stanjohn
Aspirant

under the list of downloads look for the circle with the down arrow and click on it to display old versions

Message 14 of 101
Jharlan628
Tutor

So I flashed older firmware and it worked somewhat. I’m still capping out around 300mbps but I have 400mbps. When I plug straight into the modem I break 400mbps easy. Anyone have other recommendations that might help?
Message 15 of 101
whoodat
Aspirant

Glad to see Netgear released yet ANOTHER firmware update where it cuts my speed by over 100mbs......I will never buy another netgear router from this day forward. Awful. Will have to rollback my router yet agian....

Message 16 of 101
that1crzywhtguy
Aspirant

I returned mine, bought a tp-link. Not a perfect unit , but very happy overall.

Didn't update that firmware either tho lol.
Message 17 of 101
Jharlan628
Tutor

Yeah I’m past the return date, Amazon said nans, so I bought an Asus AC3200. Gotta set it up still tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Message 18 of 101
stanjohn
Aspirant

"Anyone have other recommendations that might help?" 

Jharlan628 , replaced the Netgear with a TL-R600VPN v4.0 router and using the Netgear as and AP.
Message 19 of 101
NoSprk
Aspirant

i just downgraded the firmware and it fixed my ethernet speed issue. im paying for 400mbps and was only getting 180-200 on my desktop. after the downgrade its up to 375-400

Message 20 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have the same problem, when I downgraded the firmware to 1.0.3.66 it solved the problem. This seems like a problem that NETGEAR should definitely fix and issue an update for. I paid good money for this router and it is only fair that I get my full internet speeds with it. It really bugs me, I'm an update freak, I like to have all of my software as up-to-date as possible. NETGEAR please fix this, I have always loved NETGEAR,

Message 21 of 101
rwo
Initiate
Initiate

Have a new Netgear R6700v3 router. Set up using the suggested Netgear Nighthawk App, and allowed the Nighthawk App to upgrade from factory firmware to the latest 1.0.4.82 firmware. On a Charter Spectrum Cable Modem with Spectrum's Internet Extra Plan (400Mbps download, 20 Mbps upload) I was only seeing up to 250Mbps download speeds, but upload speeds seemed around 20Mbps.

After reading the problems many people were having in this thread about this R6700v3 router with Slow Speeds and recent firmware, I downloaded the older firmware version 1.0.3.66, as was suggested, and I am now receiving near 370Mbps downloads and faster uploads around 23Mbps as well. I believe the problem may be due to the Netgear Armor software support which was added in later firmware, as the router may be having to do extra processing for each data packet as part of Netgear Armor.

Regardless of the cause, the problem is now fixed by applying the older 1.0.3.66 firmware.

Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it. Hope this will help someone else having similar slow download speed problems with this router.

Message 22 of 101
BeachGear
Tutor

Still a problem... Latest firmware cuts my speed in half. Thanks for taking the time to post. This resolved my issue for now, but I can't apply any new security patches without dropping to 150mb speeds. 

Message 23 of 101
A_ALI
Star

I just wanted to add to this conversation. Purchased the V3 version of this router a few months ago at the same time that I upgraded my internet speeds with Comcast to 1GB.  I was only getting top out speeds of 250GB.  Verified that I was getting 1GB over the wire with comcast, had them check wiring and cable to the house.  All verified correct.  I directly connected my desktop to the cable modem (Netgear CM1000), removing the router all together, and my speeds shot up to 989GB!  Found a couple of articles on the forums here, and after troubleshooting here over a few days, I was finally able to achive very close to my advertised speeds with the router by downgrading to V1.0.2.66_10.0.48 firmware.  Turned off auto updates, and have never looked back. 

I do check occasionally to see if there is a newer FIXED version of the firmware, but I find that Netgear simply doesnt care at this point.  They are concentrating on their newer products.  I get that, but to resolve this issue should at least be on the radar!  I dont want to have to spend $300-$400 on a new router when I have one that fits my needs, and doesn't look like an eyesore sitting in my living room.  Not having the latest firmware does not give me the best feeling, but if that is what I have to do to keep my 18+ devices in my house working so be it.  When this router dies, I'll upgrade.  Until then...Old firmware it is!!

Message 24 of 101
dp_
Initiate
Initiate

Had the same exact issues, my Verizon FiOS speeds were half of what I could get with Verizon G1100 videos. After finding this thread I downgraded to 1.0.3.66 version firmware and speeds improved dramatically which is great. But this also means I have to miss out all security updates and other benefits, which sucks.
Message 25 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7