Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

BeachGear
Tutor

I can't believe how horrible their support is for this router, especially since I just bought it new a few months ago. The support ticket I had open to resolve this they just closed with no explaination. Like this issue was fixed or something. Netgear, you had one job... Move the data through the router at rated speeds...  I am so disappointed that I have to run old firmware and now my router is vulnerable to exploits, because Netgear can't fix its firmware.

Message 26 of 101
AB12
Initiate

I also have a 6700v3 which was getting 350Mbps with firmware version V1.0.3.66_10.0.50. As soon as I upgraded to V1.0.4.anything the speed went to about 170Mbps at most. I downgraded back to V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 and my speed went back to 350Mbps. I've tried everything I can possibly think of to fix the issue, but there is nothing I can do to make any firmware version past V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 work at anything near full speed. I'm really feeling trapped by Netgear since my only choices are to operate on an insecure firmware version and get full speed or use a "secure" version and have my speed cut in half or more. I guess I do have a third option: throw the router out and buy a different brand. I don't like any of those options.

I am a network administrator of 20 years and have deep experience in routing, switching, firewalls, etc. This kind of issue especially bugs me because I have no recourse. Even if I paid for support with Netgear, I wouldn't get any help. The firmware has broken the router fundamentally and the only resolution is for Netgear's dev team to concentrate their effort on my specific model, which won't happen. I'm not hopeful at all for a fix.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 27 of 101
knarlomatic
Tutor

Must echo all the other replies here.  It seemed that lately my speeds on my r6700v3 had gone from 100/10 to 15/.5 and 4x my regular pings.  I tried restarting all the equipment from the pcs to the router to the cable modem, no change.  Plugged my laptop into the modem, and got the advertised speeds.  I found this thread and using others for some instructions downgraded firmware from 1.0.4.84 to 1.0.3.66.  I forgot to do the factory reset (with the reset button in back) and got confused that I now had 100/.5 with the same bad pings.  Finally realized:

******DON'T IGNORE THE POSTS THAT SAY DO A FACTORY RESET!******

After the flash of the 1.0.3.66 firmware and factory reset all speeds through the router from any device are now as advertised!

Unfortunate that we have to use an insecure version of firmware, and spend half a day troubleshooting.

Has anyone tried the DDWRT builds?  Does it solve these problems and how is the experience?

I saw that one message on these forums about the R7000 had the same issue and one of the posters noted that he just did a factory reset (without changing firmware) and it worked for him.  Anyone else try this?  It would make sense, maybe after the newest build was installed all we needed to do was a factory reset.  Again, if true, it's unfortunate that no one told us, and that all your settings need to be reentered.

Message 28 of 101
Plothary
Initiate

I had the dance problem as everyone in these threads... Pitiful speeds - 20mbps on a spectrum 2000mbps plan - and finally tested flashinh DD-WRT onto the router.... INSTANT FIX. This works. It's as if the OEM firmware is preloaded with a rootkit! WRT is the fix.
Message 29 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Would you please provide step by step instructions to accomplish this?  I have litterally tried everything with no success

Message 30 of 101
A_ALI
Star

Please provide instructions for the update!!! 

Thank you!!

Message 31 of 101
dp_
Initiate
Initiate

Review these steps, should be similar but can’t guarantee:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router
Message 32 of 101
Plothary
Initiate

Message 33 of 101
Ringandpinion
Initiate

March 12, 2020.  This is still a problem 9 months later.  I recently noticed some speed problems with my router, tried everything to fix it, upgraded to the latest firmware.  1.0.4.84  No good.  Finally, I came across this post and downgraded to the 1.0.3.66, and the speeds are back up.  Fortunately, I didn't take Netgear up on their HARD SELL warranty support, for more than I paid for the router.  I've been using Netgear products since the 90s, this will be my last.  Lets see, bought the R6400, it cratered after about 3 months and Netgear sent me a beat up downgraded version of the R6400 because it had been discontinued, I refused it and the expensive extended warranty at that time, so they sent the R6700v3.  It worked till now, about 2 weeks after the warranty ran out.  I'll called tech support because of the slow speeds and they didn't mention what is obviously a pretty well documented firmware problem, maybe the tech support guy was too busy pushing the tech support spiel to think about it.  But it was clearly such a snake oil pitch that I refused it, the new "warranty" extension would do everything but fix my toilets.  Even if I had wanted it and the price didn't scare me, I would never buy anything pitched like that.  Sorry Netgear, no sale, in more ways than one.  Roll back your firmware before it is no longer archived and disable firmware update.

Message 34 of 101
whoodat
Aspirant

This is still a problem March 30....I will never, ever buy netgear again. This is the worst product I have ever seen. They update the firmware it works for a small time then throttles the speed again. I think they purposely throttle speeds.

Message 35 of 101
A_ALI
Star

Yeah, its pretty amazing that one of my favorite hardware vendors has now become a new hardware pushing machine that forgets that they have abandoned loyal customers.  I understand the need to push new products, but I've had this product for less then a year, and I refuse to purchase a new router when this fits my needs.  I've purchased Netgear products for the better part of 5-6 years.  Not just for myself, but for people that I've helped setup their home networks.  I can not in good conscience do that anymore because this experience has left a sour taste in my mouth.  I'm looking to purchase an AX Router in the near future, and it will not be NETGEAR!!

Current Network - CM1000 Cable modem (NO ISSUES With Cable Modem) - R6700v3 Wireless Router - EX6100 Extender

Message 36 of 101
knarlomatic
Tutor

I recently noticed the issues cropped back up again.  Looked in the firmware and found that somehow the firmware had been upgraded after I turned off that option.  Decided to try a factory reset and darned if that didn't fix the problem.  All systems normal.

Message 37 of 101
A_ALI
Star

What is the Firmware version after the factory reset?  What was your previous version? 

Message 38 of 101
MX150
Aspirant

How do you download the old firmware?
Message 39 of 101
antinode
Guru

> How do you download the old firmware?

Much the same way as one might download new firmware.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 40 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same issue here. Currently pay for 1G Fiber AT&T Internet and after router installation (and most recent firmware upgrade) was only receiving 300-400mgb Down. Took the advise to downgrade to firmware V1.0.3.66 and now receiving ~750-800 for hardwired devices which is to be expected. Extremely dissapointing Netgear has not resolved this issue and as a result cannot have the most recent firmware installed to maximize performance. 

Message 41 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Update: Hope this helps other folks. Must be a bug in the firmware (so annoying). 

• Installed newest firmware
  • Factory reset all settings
  • Enabled QoS applied settings (Downstream + Upstream)
  • Disabled QoS (Downstream + Upstream)
  • Also disabled SIP ALG in WAN tab (as I noticed I was experiencing issues with WIFI Calling) 
  • Reset router

Outcome: I'm now consistently getting 700-800 down with hardwired devices on my AT&T Fiber 1GB Plan

Message 42 of 101
Salt326
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues. Unfortunately, loading firmware V1.0.3.66 and factory resetting isn't helping. I'm completely lost on what to do here. No matter what I reset/change its just stuck at 24 down 4 up

Message 43 of 101
knarlomatic
Tutor

new 1.0.4.84 old 1.0.3.66

Message 44 of 101
solcipher
Initiate

2020-07-22 and still an issue.  Disappointing to say the least that Netgear hasn't put out a fully-functional set of firmware.  For reference -- Updated to 1.0.4.98_10.0.71 and 200Mbps connection was only pulling 100-110.  Downgraded firmware to 1.0.3.66 and suddenly I'm back up to 190-210.  For those who need the instructions (from the 1.0.3.66 Release Notes):

To Install

Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.

1. Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to re-enter them manually.
  2. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is R6700v3-V1.0.3.66_10.0.50.chk

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6700v3/R6700v3-V1.0.3.66_10.0.50.zip

3. Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
  4. Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade. 
  5. Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
  6. Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and blinking, power cycle the router to complete the upgrade.
  2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade. After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.
    Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.
Message 45 of 101
Railhead
Tutor

You may have just made my day…

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 46 of 101
Railhead
Tutor

Thank you, Benthebot, for posting this.

Perhaps NETGEAR should hire you!

I have spent countless hours on the phone with my ISP (the natural initial source of blame suspect for crazy-slow internet speeds…) and NETGEAR.

If NETGEAR is going to put you on hold for THREE HOURS, perhaps they could spring for some decent hold music…

Really -- an entire day, and then some.

The NETGEAR techs knew little to nothing about this issue, nor the firmware downgrade solution, and kept asking me to check my WiFi speeds.

I finally lost it: "Let's figure out why my direct-to-modem is 600 MBPS and via the NETGEAR LAN is 92 MBPS!"

It's "escalated" to the point where a NETGEAR tech heavy-hitter is going to contact me today…so I can tell them what the solution is.

My issue is, instead of figuring out how to upsell us with Disney parental controls, "protection" subcriptions, and take away things like broadcast power settings, why doesn’t NETGEAR kick the tires of their firmware before unleashing it on those of us who depend on connectivity for our livelihood.

This lack of internal communication has to do with a virus that's completely unrelated to COVID-19.

Had to get the time and money lost owing to company miscommunications off my chest.

PPS

Message 47 of 101
baconator
Aspirant

Current ISP: Comcast with gigabit service.

Modem: Netgear CM1000v2

August 2020 I purchased a Netgear r6700v3 and installed with firmware 1.0.4.98 (stock settings no tinkering). compared to my previous router Asus rt-acrh13 the Netgear 6700v3 does have better range on both bands. But, I noticed slower 5 ghz speeds at 275 mbps instead of 375 mbps. Also which was really strange I was also noticing slower wired connection speeds (200 mbps) than my WiFi.  (Yes... I retested with new Cat6 cables)

Searching for a solution I found this thread and installed firmware 1.0.3.66, reset my router to factory settings and turned off firmware auto update.  Now on firmware 1.0.3.66, I can confirm my 5 ghz speeds are back to 375 mbps and my wired connections are at 600 mbps.

I am happy about the fix but, not excited about running a router with older firmware.

Thank you Ben for your post.

Message 48 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I encountered the same problems (1gb internet) I'm currently on the most recent firmeware (1.0.4.98) - trick was to factory reset the router following upgrade. Also made sure to disable SIP ALG and change NAT filtering to Open (both located in WAN Setup) as I was having issues with WIFI Calls being dropped. 

Message 49 of 101
Gammafist
Aspirant

Just curious did you test out 1.0.3.66 firmware before deciding on your current firmware?

Message 50 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7