Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

FTurpin
Aspirant

Is there and update to this information? I have the same problem. The firmware was updated and can not get the 300mbs that I have contracted with my ISP. I try down grading the FW to the version mentioned on the original post but did not work. 

Any help is appreciate it.

@Benthebot wrote:

Hi. 

I have a Netgear 6700v3 connected to a Netgear CM600 modem. I pay for 300Mbps download and 30Mbps upload. I usually get 300-340Mbps download during speed tests. I noticed recently that I was only getting download speeds of about 150Mbps. I tested several times over a few days and the speeds were staying the same. I plugged my computer directly into my modem and I started getting above 300 again, so it seemed the problem was with my router. I tried rebooting and factory resetting my router a couple times, but that didn't help (both on factory settings and after making changes). I found another forum thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-R7000-Slow-Internet-Speed-Our-Fix-SO...) about an R7000 with similar problems. I skimmed through it and saw that he fixed his problem by rolling back a firmware version, so I gave that a shot. 

I noticed my router had firmware auto updates turned on and version 1.0.4.78 installed. I downloaded version 1.0.3.66 and flashed the firmware through the web interface. I immediately started getting speeds over 300Mbps again (both on factory settings and after making changes). I upgraded the firmware back to the newest version, and the speeds dropped again. I downgraded it to 1.0.3.66 again, and it was fixed again.

So now I'm using 1.0.3.66 and turned off firmware auto updates. I couldn't find others with this same issue on the same model, but I thought it should be reported somewhere. Let me know if there is a better place to report (seems like I couldn't contact Netgear support without paying for premium support). 

Thanks,
-Ben

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 76 of 101
OriginalSavage
Aspirant

Make sure you turn off auto update first, then  downgrade the firmware.

I don't know whether or not Netgear thinks there's a problem or not.  I'm staying on the old firmware.

Message 77 of 101
FTurpin
Aspirant

I dis turned off the auto updates
Message 78 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've had so many problems with this router since purchasing - although I will say the newer firmware versions have resolved my down speeds. A few things that have worked to get back to just under 1gb AT&T speeds (hardwired): 

• Factory resetting router (don't restore backup settings from a file) then manually change your individual settings
  • Cut power to the router completely for ~5 min 
  • I've noticed Windows will want to use wifi during times when you are restarting the router repeadily so disable wifi when running speed tests or restart your PC
  • Disable/unplug other devices on your network for best accuracy

Finally be aware if you are speed testing using wifi the best you can hope for is 300-400 down (in my case I have 1gb internet) even under the best of circumstances. You mentioned you have 300 mbps plan - I'd be surprised if you hit those speeds anytime other than 2-3am (when the network is least congested). With my 1gb internet I generally hit 700-800 down hardwired. 

Message 79 of 101
OriginalSavage
Aspirant

@Retired_Member wrote:

I've had so many problems with this router since purchasing - although I will say the newer firmware versions have resolved my down speeds. A few things that have worked to get back to just under 1gb AT&T speeds (hardwired): 

• Factory resetting router (don't restore backup settings from a file) then manually change your individual settings
  • Cut power to the router completely for ~5 min 
  • I've noticed Windows will want to use wifi during times when you are restarting the router repeadily so disable wifi when running speed tests or restart your PC
  • Disable/unplug other devices on your network for best accuracy

Finally be aware if you are speed testing using wifi the best you can hope for is 300-400 down (in my case I have 1gb internet) even under the best of circumstances. You mentioned you have 300 mbps plan - I'd be surprised if you hit those speeds anytime other than 2-3am (when the network is least congested). With my 1gb internet I generally hit 700-800 down hardwired. 

Are you saying you encountered the issue with firmware  updates after  V1.0.3.66_10.0.50, but the latest update solved that problem or at least, solved it after the steps you listed below?  I'd like to stay current but not when it breaks functionality.

Message 80 of 101
FTurpin
Aspirant

Thank you for your help!!! I did troubleshooting with NETGEAR and they determined as I did before the call that the router was defective the 5mhz radio is not working so I will be getting a new one. Hopefully it will work fine right out of the box.

Cheers.

Message 81 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm using V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 and getting full speeds. Another item I failed to mention before is making sure to disable Access Control functionality - I've noticed this cuts the speed on mine as well. 

Message 82 of 101

Here we are in August of 2021 and I have the exact same problem. 400 down, wired to my ISP's modem. 150 (on a good day) when wired to my new Nighthawk. 

I guess I'll start rolling back the firmware. What a disappointment.

Message 83 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just updated to the latest (V1.0.4.118_10.0.90) and seems ok. Did you Factory Reset and then disable Access Control?

2021-08-10_22-31-19.png

Message 84 of 101

TL;DR: maybe I should just start over and factory reset?

I just installed the router and updated to the latest firmware when prompted during setup - got about half my speed (400Mbps - Spectrum) - 150-300 Mbps - when wired to my PC via the router. Xbox is the same (also wired). Speed's all good (460 Mbps) when connected right to the modem.

I screwed with port forwarding/triggering when I was setting-up (for Steam and Epic downloads) and messed with downgrading bios (based on this and other threads). I immediately killed Netgear Armor and turned off access control - and looked for anything that might be overly-sniffing my packets as they pass through the router. ​

Nothing seems to get past this router without a fight. Top speed, to date, is 310 Mbps - according to the Android app and a Steam game download.
Message 85 of 101
Railhead
Tutor

I stepped away from this thread as it was too frustrating to find out repeat cases of where users' frustration is all but ignored by the manufacturer.

So, this problem with sluggish speeds is still happening?

I have not upgraded since I banged my head against the wall trying to figure out the sluggishness, and was unwilling to friggin' PAY for tech support after the ridiculously short window of "complimentary" tech support.

My question for other Netgear sufferers: any suggestions for a better WiFi router?

Sigh…

Message 86 of 101

WOW.

What a pain in the ass.

Here's what "fixed" (?!) my issue:

Factory reset

Pulled all cables and acted like I was just taking the Nighthawk out of the box (... just like I did yesterday)

Fresh setup from the app - including BIOS update (that wouldn't stick until I did a second factory reset and started the whole process again)

Immediatly disbled Netgear Armor from app

Booted PC and accessed router

Disabled Access Control from router web interface on PC

Rebooted router and PC

Speed test from Netgear Android app, ISP website (wired - website), Speedtest.net app (wired - Windows) and 3rd party website (wired - website) reported speeds between 133-225 down, around 11 up (via a 400/20 Spectrum cable connection)

As suggested on another thread (this or another forum, not sure)

Re-enabled Access Control from router web interface on PC

Rebooted router and PC

Re-disabled Access Control from router web interface on PC

Rebooted router and PC

Same wired Speed tests now show a pretty solid 467-475 down, and a rock-solid 23 up.

Note: the Netgear android app still peaks at about 225 down, 11 up (measuring wireless to the phone??)

So what I discovered:

Wave a chicken foot, sing a few hyms, clap, push buttons, boot/reboot, sacrifice a goat or two... and you might just get what you pay for.

This will be MY LAST NETGEAR PRODUCT. I'm too old for this sh*t.

Message 87 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I agree, I used to love netgear, would always swear by them, but since I got the netgear R6700v3, I have been completely disappointed. This is an issue that should have been patched a long time ago and I used to recommend netgear to a lot of people, I will never buy netgear again, and I especially will never recommend netgear to anyone again. I see a lot of people on here with the exact same issue and it ends up being the choice of getting full network speed using an older firmware, or using the new firmware with almost half your bandwidth you pay for. This is completely unacceptable. I should at the very least get full security of new firmware updates and get the bandwidth I pay for. This issue effects everyone who uses this damn router. I plan on moving to another company and I am going to use this garbage router as target practice. I used to love netgear, but it is quite clear they don't give a **bleep** about their customers and don't patch major issues with their products. NETGEAR, you have lost a very loyal customer and many others due to I will never recommend your products ever again. **bleep** YOU netgear. Peace Out Bitches

Message 88 of 101
Presbycat
Initiate

Frustrated with this product ! First tried to install the router with the Netgear NightHawk app, but the QR Code scan option would not work, (kept saying that the QR code was invalid... so I had to fallback to the manual setup steps.

But after getting the setup ok, I kept testing the IP Speeds of the WiFi connectins (via the 2G line) and was underwhelmed....only 50mbps or so download speeds to my Roku device. I then checked the ethernet port speed to my PC (which should reach up to 400mbps) and found that I was only getting around 150mbps at best.... 

I thought perhaps that it might be a simple tweak in the router settings, so I started researching here on the web looking for tips on how to increase router speed settings....tried several things, all which didn't seem to help...several updates of the firmware to latest versions....many reboots of the router....reconnection of lines....tried different ports....etc. etc....

I finally found these posts about reloading of the firmware to the previous version, and thought "Why should I need to do that for a brand new product?". I'm not an expert on all this stuff by any means, and don't feel very comfortable with reloading the base software. 

I eventually was successful at restoring the firmware back to v1.0.3.66_10.0.50. 

The speed to my PC is now +-450mbps (which actually is greater than the advertised speed of my ISP service)!

So I'm only out about 5-6 hours of my time trying to debug/setup this router. I plan to return it for a full refund. I will be looking for a brand other than Netgear for my next purchase.

Message 89 of 101
EBicker
Aspirant

I have a Nighthawk R6700v3 with the latest firmware (v1.0.4.120) installed and recently noticed that I was having the same speed issue. It turns out that I had turned on Traffic Meter in the app a couple days ago.  Turning it off immediately increased download speeds from 200Mbs to 700Mbs without rebooting.

Message 90 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Agreed! I noticed keeping the access control functionality disabled as well keeps the speeds as expected. 

Message 91 of 101
mattfinley12
Aspirant

Not to bump an old thread, ran into the same problem as everyone else...  I forgot to turn of auto update and got lousy speeds after not noticing it for a while... rolled back to 1.0.3.66_10.0.50 and everything is good.   I mean WTF... you have to roll back to a 2 year old version to get proper speeds?

Message 92 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you disable Access Controls and Traffic Meter after doing a factory reset on current version of FW? 

@mattfinley12 wrote:

Not to bump an old thread, ran into the same problem as everyone else...  I forgot to turn of auto update and got lousy speeds after not noticing it for a while... rolled back to 1.0.3.66_10.0.50 and everything is good.   I mean WTF... you have to roll back to a 2 year old version to get proper speeds?

Message 93 of 101
mattfinley12
Aspirant

Yes, I turned both those off, although I never really saw any speed drop with them on..

Message 94 of 101
Railhead
Tutor

When performance of a router is measured NOT with “fastest” but with “slowest”, there’s an obvious problem.
Indeed: that the three-year-old firmware is “better” than the latest and greatest (and the difference between 458mbps and 46mbps is NOT small!), it’s time to change brands, which is exactly what we did.

Thanks Netgear!
Message 95 of 101
FURRYe38
Guru

Users are encouraged to contact NG support and let them know what yoru seeing:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 96 of 101
Railhead
Tutor

You have to be kidding me!!!
Not only does Netgear have the gall to charge for the tech support of their serious design flaws, but I spent over three PAID hours explaining to a cascade of tech support representatives that the issue was clearly and empirically associated with the still-unresolved firmware glitch, and had NOTHING to do with my computer brand or model, my ISP, nor the color of my shoes.
Message 97 of 101
mattfinley12
Aspirant

Yep, I went from 120-140 to 480... so kind of a huge freaking difference considering netgear has been aware of this for 3 years now..

Message 98 of 101
mattfinley12
Aspirant

I was having 1/3 speeds, 130-140 mbps, with the most recent firmware update.... So I had to go back to the  R6700v3-V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 version and downgrade to get my speeds up to 460-480 mbps..

Something happened TODAY on Netgear's end....apparently as I came home and wifi was dead so I had to go back, do a factory reset, upgrade firmware, and now with version Firmware Version V1.0.4.122_10.0.95,  I am now back to my normal 460-470 mbps.

So whatever Netgear decided to do finally fixed the problem... Only  3 years later...

Thanks Netgear..

Message 99 of 101
mattfinley12
Aspirant

Nope, just a temporary fix apparently..  Back to 1/3 of my speed at about 130 instead of the 450 with the old firmware.   And I tried to roll it back again, to the 3.66 version and it now doesn't work at all...   Beta testing anyone?  before you do an update that chokes speeds?

Message 100 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7