Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

Railhead
Tutor

Re: R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

I could not afford the week of down time attempting to reach or discuss the matter with Netgear’s so-called “Tech Support”.
I am going to leap-from several firmware versions to the current release this weekend, and immediately check the speeds on all connected devices.
Message 51 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I’m running the latest firmware (V1.0.4.102_10.0.75) with GB internet and no issues. Highly recommend a full factory reset regardless of whichever version your choose.
Message 52 of 101
A_ALI
Star

I'll try again this weekend as well. I recently did a factory reset and had speeds that were acceptable for about 3-4 days, then tanked again. Will report back Sunday.
Message 53 of 101
A_ALI
Star

Review of my connection...I have Comcast GB connection, with Netgear CM1000 Cable modem DOCSIS 3.1. 

I checked for new firmware.  Downloaded V1.0.4.102_10.0.75.  After factory reset, I updated with the firmware file, and tested speeds with Speedtest. Download speed is 803.36 Mbps, Upload 41.53 Mbps. 

Steps followed taken from user from this same thread:

Installed newest firmware
Factory reset all settings
Enabled QoS applied settings (Downstream + Upstream)
Disabled QoS (Downstream + Upstream)

Screenshot 2020-11-23 011046.jpg

Hope this helps!  Seems like Netgear may have fixed the firmware issue.  I'd like to hold off on final, FINAL conclusions, but I'm reluctantly hopeful. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 54 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have GB internet, shouldn't you be getting download speeds of 1000+, not 800?

Message 55 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You will never get to full 1GB. I generally get ~800 hardwired and max ~400 wireless.
Message 56 of 101
A_ALI
Star

That is true, best i've ever seen was 960Mbps, late at night, when I was plugged directly into the cable modem.  When plugged into the R6700, the best I've seen was 870'sMbps, again late at night.  I'll keep an eye on it over the week, and post again to see if my speed stays the same.

Message 57 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What firmware version are you using? If your using the latest one, try using the 1.0.3.66 version and see if you stay at the higher speed. Any version above 1.0.3.66 slows down the internet connection (at least for most of us). I have 200 Mb internet and I get 232 Mb download with the firmware version (1.0.3.66), but if upgrade to any firmware above the 1.0.3.66, I only get about 180-190 Mb

Message 58 of 101
A_ALI
Star

I've just recently installed the latest firmware version (V1.0.4.102_10.0.75).  I did a factory reset, and then made the following changes that I found from another post a few months back:

Enabled QoS applied settings (Downstream + Upstream)
Disabled QoS (Downstream + Upstream)
Also disabled SIP ALG in WAN tab (as I noticed I was experiencing issues with WIFI Calling)
Reset router

After the last reset, I've been getting good speeds again both up and down.  The only question is wether or not they'll hold.  I've done this before, but several days afterwards, the speeds seem to trend back down again.

Message 59 of 101
wangcheung
Tutor

the latest version of the firmware for the R6700V3 (version 1.0.4.102) breaks the Access Point function and hides the router being used as the AP. The AP (R6230) works fine but access is blocked so you can't administrate the AP settings. If I power cycle the AP the device shows up in the attached devices list for a couple minutes and then disappears. During that time the IP address for the AP is visible but neither the Nighthawk APP nor command line access to the AP is possible. 

I downgraded to version 1.0.4.98 and the AP is now accessible again. I turned off auto firmware update and will stick with 1.0.4.98. Not impressed with Neatgear software development or their SQC.

Message 60 of 101
Railhead
Tutor

This is a stunning vote of confidence, but thank you for the insights.

I've found that trying to reach tech support and listening to hours of reeeeeallly bad hold music makes the software dev and SQC SEEM comparatively okay.

It's all relative, after all, much as the 480 Mbps speeds I got with firmware from almost a year ago compared to today's blazing 208 Mbps.

Netgear is not going to be mentioned at the Thanksgiving table this year…

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 61 of 101
etdSF
Initiate

One more datapoint,

Firmware V1.0.4.102_10.0.75  wifi speed of max 200mbps on a 2020 Macbook Pro

Firmware V1.0.3.66_10.0.50  wifi speed of max 387mbps same computer

Wired speed: 580 Mbps for both firmwares (using a Raspberry Pi - sorry no ethernet adapater for the Macbook Pro so i cannot test ethernet directly on the same computer)

Message 62 of 101
AB12
Initiate

I've been struggling with this same issue for a year on my R6700v3 and no new firmware has solved the problem. I won't pay for Netgear support so they won't help me. I'm a network administrator who works on large networks including firewalls, routers, etc., so I know what I'm doing. I feel trapped because I don't want to buy a new router since I bought this one only a year ago, but there is nothing Netgear will do to fix it or replace it.

I don't want to run old firmware because I don't want to be insecure, but I can't handle the constant issues with the new firmware. Recently, I have had to reboot the router every week because I get all sorts of issues. Today, no wireless devices would connect because of an authentication error. I couldn't access the router's web interface. Devices plugged directly into the router couldn't access websites. Somehow my IP camera was working and accessible via the Internet. I rebooted the router and everything works again.

I can't keep dealing with these issues. I'm probably going to downgrade my firmware again in order to restore functionality at the expense of security, which I hate doing. Netgear gives me no option!

Message 63 of 101
eranxyz
Initiate

Hey,

I recently upgraded my r6700v3 version to 1.0.4.102_10.0.75 and that had a major affect on my download speed. I now get around 170MB/s on a fiber connection over 5GHz.

I have a modem connected and when I downgraded the version to V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 (including a factory reset) and I get 320MB/s over 5GHz.

I can confirm using a different router gives me the same high speed at around 450GB/s.

I'm mostly concerned about secutiry fixes I'm now missing with an old firmware.

Netgear, if you're reading this, please make sure to fix 1.0.4+ firmwares.

One thing for sure, I'm done with Netgear products.

Message 64 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Anyone else upgrade to V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 yet? No issues on my end.

Experiencing full speed and elminated the Circle App pop up. 

Message 65 of 101
etdSF
Initiate

@Retired_MemberCan you precise what you mean by full speed? Is it  >400Mbps?
My concern is that the wifi on the previous version did not fully match the wired speed on wifi.

Message 66 of 101
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@etdSF I have AT&T 1GB speed currently getting around ~800mb hardwired and anywhere between 300-400 wireless (speeds are to be expected). Hoping this firmware has resolved most issues as I haven't noticed any problems since updating. 

Message 67 of 101
jamssx1
Aspirant

@Retired_Member Keep us informed as to your experience. With two kids streaming school and my own work video calls I can't risk experimenting at the moment.  I am stable with the 1.0.3.66 but I would prefer to get the security fixes, but the earlier 1.0.4.x releases like other have experienced just haven't worked for me.

Message 68 of 101
eranxyz
Initiate

I can confirm also here V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 has fixed the speed issue.

I'm now getting ~420MB/s wireless and ~900MB/s through a cable.

Not sure if factory reset is required but I did it anyway.

Message 69 of 101
higgins9875
Aspirant

I recently updated my router to the latest firmware and start having weird connection problems - dropped connections and slower speeds. Also I could not access my WAP (R6400.)  I too reinstalled the older firmware and can now access the WAP through my home netework. Speeds increased. Will have to see about the dropped connections.

Message 70 of 101
NameTaken33
Aspirant

Just throwing my 2 cents in for anyone who comes across this thread from google like myself. Just got this router and once I got it set up I started to immediately have speed issues.

Before this router

~400 mbps down and ~20 mbps up (which is what I pay for)

After this router and updating it to the latest firmware (1.0.4.106)

Speeds dropped to ~115 mbps down and ~15 mbps up

After downgrading to 1.0.3.66 and turning off auto-updates

Speeds went back up to ~400 mbps down and ~20 mbps up

Message 71 of 101
jamssx1
Aspirant

Ok so I took the plunge and upgraded to 1.0.4.106 and immediately regretted it. My cable speed is 200/10 which is what I normally get. With this firmware I was maxing as 150/10. (I tested before and after installation and this was clearly a drop.) This was not the only issue. After about 18 hours the router crashed and rebooted itself.  So I went back to 1.0.3.66 and now I am back to getting 200/10. Other than the speed loss, the crash is also unacceptable as I can't have the kids remote school randomly dropping. 

The main difference between 1.0.3.x and 1.0.4.x appears to be the introduction of Netgear Armor. Since this does some sort of packet inspection I am guessing it is causing the slowdown. Interestingly under 1.0.4.106 on the routers main page it showed Armor active. However I do not have an active subscription and there appears to be no way to disable it from the Web UI. The documentation says if the subscription is lapsed it is disabled, but my suspicion is it is not completely disabled unless it is turned off manually before expiration. Either way there's clearly a bug if it shows active without a subscription.

So for the moment I am staying on 1.0.3.66. 

Message 72 of 101
Railhead
Tutor

Jumping back into the fray of Netgear disappointment here: for some reason, my firmware autoupdate preference swapped to "ENABLE", and the rest is history…

The wifi connection speed plummeted to a whopping 19 MBPS, yada-yada.

Netgear really needs to get their act together.

It's bad enough that their firmware apparently isn't field-tested, they want to charge me for support less than 90 days after a purchase?

What kind of business model is this, except maybe the Westies extorting bar owners?

Message 73 of 101
JXB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a R6400v2 AC1750 router and had a similar issue to yours with the lastest firmware version 1.0.4.106_10.0.80. My wired and WIFI speed were capped around 130 Mbps, although the speed of direct wire connection to FIOS ONT is around 300 Mbps (unload and download). Switching to old firmware vesion 1.0.2.52_1.0.39 solved the problem. However, I don't want to take security risks with the old firmware.

As you and others pointed out that the newer version 1.0.4 added Armor security feature. The router admin page showed the my Armor security was still activated (the Netgear IOS app showed the Armor security is off, but did not state whether it is "activated"), although I did not renew Armor security after the trial period. Apprantly, Armor security was not completely disabled. Yet, there was no obvious way in the admin pages to disable the Armor security, lile parental control. It appears that one way to completely disableArmor is through factory reset.

After I reloadeded the latest firmware version 1.0.4.106_10.0.80 from the old version 1.0.2.52_1.0.39, the problem was back and  the speed was still capped around 130 Mbps. Simple reset or power off the router did not improve the speed. I then did a factory reset,  setup passwords for WIFI networks, and kept defalut factory settings for other parameters. Now the Armor security is completely disabled, and both wired and WIFI speed are ~ 300 Mbps! I hope that this is the end of the problem.

Message 74 of 101
OriginalSavage
Aspirant

I'm  really glad that I found this thread.  For at least a couple months now I've had an issue where my ROKU devices seemed sluggish, my ring doorbell would not stay connected and other various oddities.  Not really thinking about firmware I was wondering  what the heck changed and whether there's something interfering with my signal.  I even cancelled my ring subscription  thinking the wireless had kicked the bucket.

Today my "older" ROKU that only does  2.4Ghz completely stopped working, not able to connect to wifi.

I find this thread, downgrade to  1.0.3.66 and bingo... Roku is working.  I decide to download the Ring app and after being offline for several weeks (when I gave up...), it magically comes back online.

I guess I'm going back to "if it's not broken don't fix it" with this device. Manufacturers have generally had firmware down to a science where you can stay current these days but apparently, not Netgear.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Message 75 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7