R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

FTurpin
Aspirant

Re: R6700v3 New Firmware Slow Speeds

Is there and update to this information? I have the same problem. The firmware was updated and can not get the 300mbs that I have contracted with my ISP. I try down grading the FW to the version mentioned on the original post but did not work. 

Any help is appreciate it.

@Benthebot wrote:

Hi. 

I have a Netgear 6700v3 connected to a Netgear CM600 modem. I pay for 300Mbps download and 30Mbps upload. I usually get 300-340Mbps download during speed tests. I noticed recently that I was only getting download speeds of about 150Mbps. I tested several times over a few days and the speeds were staying the same. I plugged my computer directly into my modem and I started getting above 300 again, so it seemed the problem was with my router. I tried rebooting and factory resetting my router a couple times, but that didn't help (both on factory settings and after making changes). I found another forum thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-R7000-Slow-Internet-Speed-Our-Fix-SO...) about an R7000 with similar problems. I skimmed through it and saw that he fixed his problem by rolling back a firmware version, so I gave that a shot. 

I noticed my router had firmware auto updates turned on and version 1.0.4.78 installed. I downloaded version 1.0.3.66 and flashed the firmware through the web interface. I immediately started getting speeds over 300Mbps again (both on factory settings and after making changes). I upgraded the firmware back to the newest version, and the speeds dropped again. I downgraded it to 1.0.3.66 again, and it was fixed again.

So now I'm using 1.0.3.66 and turned off firmware auto updates. I couldn't find others with this same issue on the same model, but I thought it should be reported somewhere. Let me know if there is a better place to report (seems like I couldn't contact Netgear support without paying for premium support). 

Thanks,
-Ben

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 76 of 82
OriginalSavage
Aspirant

Make sure you turn off auto update first, then  downgrade the firmware.

I don't know whether or not Netgear thinks there's a problem or not.  I'm staying on the old firmware.

Message 77 of 82
FTurpin
Aspirant

I dis turned off the auto updates
Message 78 of 82
sc2steven
Guide

I've had so many problems with this router since purchasing - although I will say the newer firmware versions have resolved my down speeds. A few things that have worked to get back to just under 1gb AT&T speeds (hardwired): 

• Factory resetting router (don't restore backup settings from a file) then manually change your individual settings
  • Cut power to the router completely for ~5 min 
  • I've noticed Windows will want to use wifi during times when you are restarting the router repeadily so disable wifi when running speed tests or restart your PC
  • Disable/unplug other devices on your network for best accuracy

Finally be aware if you are speed testing using wifi the best you can hope for is 300-400 down (in my case I have 1gb internet) even under the best of circumstances. You mentioned you have 300 mbps plan - I'd be surprised if you hit those speeds anytime other than 2-3am (when the network is least congested). With my 1gb internet I generally hit 700-800 down hardwired. 

Message 79 of 82
OriginalSavage
Aspirant

@sc2steven wrote:

I've had so many problems with this router since purchasing - although I will say the newer firmware versions have resolved my down speeds. A few things that have worked to get back to just under 1gb AT&T speeds (hardwired): 

• Factory resetting router (don't restore backup settings from a file) then manually change your individual settings
  • Cut power to the router completely for ~5 min 
  • I've noticed Windows will want to use wifi during times when you are restarting the router repeadily so disable wifi when running speed tests or restart your PC
  • Disable/unplug other devices on your network for best accuracy

Finally be aware if you are speed testing using wifi the best you can hope for is 300-400 down (in my case I have 1gb internet) even under the best of circumstances. You mentioned you have 300 mbps plan - I'd be surprised if you hit those speeds anytime other than 2-3am (when the network is least congested). With my 1gb internet I generally hit 700-800 down hardwired. 

Are you saying you encountered the issue with firmware  updates after  V1.0.3.66_10.0.50, but the latest update solved that problem or at least, solved it after the steps you listed below?  I'd like to stay current but not when it breaks functionality.

Message 80 of 82
FTurpin
Aspirant

Thank you for your help!!! I did troubleshooting with NETGEAR and they determined as I did before the call that the router was defective the 5mhz radio is not working so I will be getting a new one. Hopefully it will work fine right out of the box.

Cheers.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 81 of 82
sc2steven
Guide

I'm using V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 and getting full speeds. Another item I failed to mention before is making sure to disable Access Control functionality - I've noticed this cuts the speed on mine as well. 

Message 82 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements