R6700v3 Speed Problem

cholland12
Follower

R6700v3 Speed Problem

Good evening,

Computer/Internet Information:

Windows 10

Xfinity Internet (800 Mbps)

Modem has limit of 600Mpbs, so some of my lack of speed can be explained there.

Computer uses ethernet connection straight to router.

Ethernet from PC directly to modem shows expected speeds (specifically around the 550 Mbps mark, near the limit of the modem). 

Internet tested using Speetest by Ookla. 

Router information:

Nighthawk AC 1750, R6700v3, using latest firmware (V1.0.4.106_10.0.80)

Problem: Wired/Wifi speeds both lower than speeds delivered by modem. Specifically, I was having issues with speeds between 115 and 250 Mbps. I worked with a Netgear support person to try to adjust all sorts of settings, but I can sum up everything very quickly:

Turned off Traffic Meeter, QoS, Parental Controls, Access Control. Downgraded firmware to 1.0.4.98. Although some of these get my speeds up from 150 Mbps or so (i.e. some of them were sapping speed but did not appear to be the main problem), none work and the support people will apparently give me a call. Eventually, I got around to updating firmware back to V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 and did a full factory reset. Immediately after the reset, my ethernet speed (the one I really care about here) went to ~550 Mbps. Hurray! I think it is solved. However, after getting my WiFi info set back up, the speeds drop back to 250 Mbps. I do a restart (no help), then a factory reset. Again, with a fresh start, I test and have 550 Mpbs. I enter a new password for the router in, retest (550 Mbps). I go to the Wifi settings and change only 2.4's SSID lable, and after the router applies that change and reboots, the speeds drop to 250 Mbps. So dear reader, it seems that when I change the WiFi information (SSID and/or access key) everything goes back down to slow speeds, even though the connection I'm trying to fix is a direct ETHERNET one. As far as I can tell, that is when everything goes bad. Any help with this seemingly endless labrynth of issues would be immensely appreciated. 

I apologize: after further testing it seems that after about 5 minutes after each reboot after changing the wifi info, the speed goes back up to 550 Mbps. I'm leaving this up in case this issue persists and there are fluctuations; maybe people will have ideas about this. Thank you.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7