Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 Wired connection CAPPED at 200mbs

BabyIT
Aspirant

R6700v3 Wired connection CAPPED at 200mbs

Hello everyone, 

Im new to this thread posting but i need some assitance on my router. 

Equipement: R6700v3 

Firmware: v1.0.4.106

Testing via hardwire and using multiple site to test such as speedtest, speakeasy, and my works monitoring system. 

I have read a few older threads regarding the mbs capping out at a certain limit and have more questions here is my concern, I have my ISP packet at 1gig. I have had a technician come out and verify connectiy and connection and test results come back at roughly 920-960mbs using the companies All in One Modem/Router directly into my PC. 

Once i plug in my Netgear r6700 my speeds max out at roughly 190-215 mbs. What could be the issue causing the huge downgrade on my connection. should i have certain setting on or off? i have just completed a factory reset so setting are at factory. 

Message 1 of 5

Re: R6700v3 Wired connection CAPPED at 200mbs

@BabyIT wrote:

I have had a technician come out and verify connectiy and connection and test results come back at roughly 920-960mbs using the companies All in One Modem/Router directly into my PC. 

Once i plug in my Netgear r6700 my speeds max out at roughly 190-215 mbs. What could be the issue causing the huge downgrade on my connection. should i have certain setting on or off? i have just completed a factory reset so setting are at factory. 

The issue could be using a router after a router. Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The symptoms you describe are a classic "Double NAT" phenomenon.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 5
BabyIT
Aspirant

I left out the part when I meant to say I revert back to my equipment. I use my own modem: arris sb6190 to router r6700. From there I have 2 ethernets one to my pc the other to work pc. Both pc speedtest come out at around 190-210 on a good day, I have also swapped out cables for both (cat 6) thinking that could be an issue.

To test a third time I connect only my pc directly into my own modem sb6190 and get speeds over 500.

So in conclusion there's something capping out the netgear router. Hope that clarifies a lot of what I left out. 😞
Message 3 of 5

@BabyIT wrote:
I left out the part when I meant to say I revert back to my equipment.

Whenever you do that you have to remember to restart, and perhaps even reset, your equipment.

You can't just swap out one device for another. Modem and router work together to set up the network. You don't want them remembering settings from previous connections.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 4 of 5
BabyIT
Aspirant

I'm sure I mite of forgotten to do that. So I'll factory reset and then do your steps. I'll report back!

Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7