Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 disconnects from internet

Azadi
Aspirant

R6700v3 disconnects from internet

Hello. I am very new to this community, so I apologize if I am missing something. I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk R6700v3 about a week ago from Amazon. Installation went fine and when the router works it is great. But I have noticed about every couple of days it disconnects for no apparent reason. Even though the laptop/PC/mobiles indicate the Internet is connected nothing happens - wifi and the wired Ethernet both stop functioning. I can not even access the application or login into the router interface on the web browser. Even rebooting the cable modem does not help.  I have to reboot the router to have it work again. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Or do I have to exchange it with another one?  I have noticed some people have a similar problem. Thank you.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700v3 disconnects from internet

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What firmware is on it? 

Message 2 of 7
gsuburban
Tutor

If you have a seperate modem, such as one from your ISP or one you purchased as a modem only, the R6700v3 needs to be configured as an AP or access point. In the firmware, there is a setting in advanced that will allow you to select Router or AP Mode. You will need AP mode. The nighthawk software app does this for you when first setting up the router by using your smart phone. You don't have to but it's fairly easy vs. trying to log into the router firmware. Your modem has to be turned off, then connect the R6700v3 via CAT cable to the modem then, turn on the modem, then the R6700v3 so that the modem assigns the R6700v3 an IP address. Once that gets done, you should be able to connect to the firmware and make any changes you want to however, AP mode is a must because the R6700v3 is also a modem and no single network can have more than one modem otherwise there are conflicts and nothing will work.

Message 3 of 7
Azadi
Aspirant

Hello. It has the latest firmware: V1.0.4.102_10.0.75.

The cable modem is a cox cable modem and it was replaced with the latest one from Cox about two years ago. 

I should also state that the previous router was also a Netgear that I got a two to three years ago that started acting up in the same manner but only the wifi of it not wired Ethernet. But the nighthawk locks both wifi and wired connection.

Message 4 of 7
Azadi
Aspirant

Hello. I checked and the AP is already on.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

what cox cable modem do you have? 

and you have the R6700 running in ap mode (per your last message)?

Message 6 of 7
Azadi
Aspirant

Thank you for all your responses. I just need to let you know that, as expected, the router disconnected again. This has been the 4th time in about two weeks and I am sick of it. I ordered an exact one for the hope that it would work - and returning the current one as soon as the new one arrives. 

The whole purpose of this email is that I noticed that I am not the only one having this problem. There are a number of other users having the same issue and I wonder why Netgear does not address the problem and keeps losing customers.  I am hoping the new one would not have the same problem. If not I will give up on netgear routers - specially that the previous (older - not the nighthawk) router acted in a similar way. Again thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7