Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700v3 firmware 1.0.4.118 caused connection problems

MaxNolder
Tutor

R6700v3 firmware 1.0.4.118 caused connection problems

Thunderbird could not connect to imap servers.

SplashTop said no internet.

TomTom MyDrive Connect said no internet.

Chrome would say site unavailable and then later connect.

I went back to previous firmware version and all problems have been fixed.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 86

Accepted Solutions
delerick
Aspirant

New 120 Rev appears to be out and fixes the issue, along with others. Running it 5 days now, so far so good.

View solution in original post

Message 32 of 86

All Replies
plemans
Guru

After the install, did you try a factory reset? 

If there's an issue after a firmware upgrade, thats one of the first things we recommend. 

Message 2 of 86
Chainsawuser
Initiate

I can confirm that R6700v3 with 1.0.4.118 firmware has serious issues.

(just for information, my computer is connected to router via ethernet) 

Immediately after installing I got the following errors in Microsoft Edge with every other website I visited.

"Hmmm… can't reach this page

server IP address could not be found."

I checked every single network setting in Windows 10 to make sure nothing had changed (and nothing did).

I checked every router setting and everything was correct.

I did not change one setting on my computer or router because everything was correct.

Went back to 1.0.4.106 and everything is perfect again.

(never had any problems with all the past firmware upgrades, and NEVER had to reset and setup up router again after a firmware upgrade/downgrade)

Message 3 of 86
DragonNest
Aspirant

I just got done hooking up a replacement for the same router I had that i upgraded to the current firmware. 

After i upgraded my PC kept on giving no internet errors, wasnt able to access voice chat on xbox app, and even Discord. Kept getting network issues on my gaming consoles.

It was also not showing my connected devices, would say i had 10 connected, but when i clicked on it would only show 1. or 2

I updated though the nighthawk app. Which might up caused the issue, but even after a factory reset it was still happening.

I blame the update on my Nighthawk not even launching on my phone too. The app keeps on crashing on the check network bar. Even after putting in the new router. Though that might be since my phone is kinda old Galaxy s7. Even if it worked before the update.

Message 4 of 86
snevel
Guide

Same thing happened to me...

Did the upgrade before going to bed and next day my internet was all fscked up.

Unhappily, I spent the best part of 3 hours trying to diagnose the issue (having forgotten about the firmware upgrade as I slept).

I even called my ISP (Cox) for help and they told me a lie (that there was a service outage) just to get me off the phone.

It wasn't until finally plugged the cable modem directly into my desktop (thus bypassing the borked router) that I realized that the router was the problem and I remember the fimware upgrade.

I swung by here, saw that other folk were reporting the same issue and them got the older firmware from netgear and downgraded.

All has been well since.

I've had my router a couple of years and can't get thru on telephone support anymore.  Is there any other way to raise this issue with Netgear so they can fix the problem?

Message 5 of 86
justanguser2
Tutor

I'll post a summary here of what I posted in another thread about DNS probe errors.  Complely agree.  Spent close to a day debugging this firmware on 2 routers on completely different ISPs, both returning intermittent DNS errors 0101 = Reply code: Refused (5)  on wireshark trace of port 53.   Not the ISPs problem.  Didn't  matter if using cloudflare or google public DNS configured within internet settings. Yes, when revert to version R6700v3-V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 back in business.  

Only problem now is how to go forward?  Cannot update to latest firmware anymore unless netgear fixes this terrible release (where is QA?).  

Message 6 of 86
robjak
Luminary

Similar issues   R8300   Firmware Version  V1.0.2.154

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 86
MaxNolder
Tutor

Yes I tried the factory reset after the firmware update amd saw no change.

Message 8 of 86
MaxNolder
Tutor

I would be suprised if Netgear is not monitoring this. I think they are working on it, but it takes time to fix. You have to find out why then you must find out how. I work some with code. It just takes one bit to mess it up. 

Message 9 of 86
robjak
Luminary

It would be nice if someone from Netgear would just say  " Hey there is an issue  we are working on it".   

My roll back fixed the issue,  but what security flaws were fixed in the update.  The release notes just say:

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security issues
Message 10 of 86
robjak
Luminary

I just had some DNS error show.  maybe my roll back wasnt as good as i stated. 

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

Message 11 of 86
cochese187
Tutor

Re: R6400v3 firmware 1.0.4.118 caused connection problems

this router firmware is terrible especially the latest....this company still has not release a latest firmware to give me the speed I pay my ISP for......I have to revert all the way to 1.0.2.50 in order to get my bandwith....there is a big problem here and netgear needs to address and fix......test yourself its broken.  Security vunerability or better speeds.  I have not been able to get the router to get any better then 200mbs with newer firmwares.  I have done all the factory resets and all specified....no joy 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 12 of 86
rr98
Initiate

I ran into DNS issue after firmware upgraded. I downloaded the previous version of firmware and downgrade the firmware on my router, that fixed the issue. The link below is the firmware before version 1.0.4.118.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700v3.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.4.106

Message 13 of 86
delerick
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Since it fixes some bugs and security vulns, I just elected to hard code my various NICs for the time being. But...it is a bug in the newer firmware for sure. Constant DNS lookup fails, timeouts, F5 refresh needed often. THey need to fix this soon. 

Message 14 of 86
snevel
Guide

In reply #14 in this thread (immediately after this post I'm replying to) is a direct link to the firmware file you need to grab.
1 download it
2 you need to unzip it to extract the *.chk file. That's the firmware you need.
3 log into the router's web interface
4 click the advanced tab
5 on the left hand side, under administration, choose router update
6 under "locate and select upgrade file" , browse to the chk file you extracted before
7 click the upload button
8 wait while the router does it's thing (3 or 4 minutes)
9 reboot the router for good luck

You should be good to go.

Good luck!

Simeon
Message 15 of 86
snevel
Guide

@robjak wrote:

It would be nice if someone from Netgear would just say  " Hey there is an issue  we are working on it".   

Yes! This!

I would be really nice to know if Netgear is aware of this issue and working on it.

Without some sort of notice that the problem was fixed, I'm not likely to upgrade my firmware anytime soon/

Message 16 of 86
robjak
Luminary

No more DNS issues. roll back of firmware fixed the DNS issues. 

Message 17 of 86
rr98
Initiate

See the posts above how to downgrade firmware to previous version.  That will resolve the issue.

@referu76 wrote:

This is exactly the same issue that I am facing in my R6700v3 its not working well from the last three days I needhelp yo solve this issue.

Message 18 of 86
philameena
Aspirant

Exactly the same issue on the R6400.

Updated the firmware last night

Constant DNS issues all day today. Taking 5 secs on average to lookup DNS and connect to a page.

Going to try and roll back now.

Message 19 of 86
apophis13
Aspirant

I have been having the same issue after upgrading to 1.0.4.118. hunderrs of times a day we would get page cannot be displayed on every computer. Plex, netflix etc. Downgraded this morning back to 1.0.4.106 and all the problems went away

do not install: 1.0.4.118. it is extremely buggy

Message 20 of 86
philameena
Aspirant

Rollback seems successful. All well again.

Message 21 of 86
smackmick
Aspirant

Had numerous "Hmm could not find that page", but also missing pictures in Outlook and in Browsers, ftp connection issues.  All of these happen immediately on the first connect, then the reload or retry usually fixes them, sometimes it auto reloads.  Wish Netgear would acknowledge this, or at least have somewhere to report bugs.  Went back to V1.0.4.106 and will see what happens.

118 also has the issue in the router web where the connected devices will not show, shows only about 4 of the 12 or so.  Can use the advanced button but this does not show any detail on what the devices are.  Going back to 106 fixes this as well.

Not sure I want to advance software again, I hope Netgear says something about fixing these issues.

Message 22 of 86
eret543
Aspirant

I also have the same issue with my R6700v3 firmware device as this guy mentioned here and still this solution that you guys gave here is not looking suitable to solve it pleasehelp me to solve this issue.

Message 23 of 86
robjak
Luminary

What version of R6700v3 firmware are you running?  

1.0.4.118 is the problem FW

This would be the fix:  https://kb.netgear.com/000062701/R6700v3-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-106

Message 24 of 86
snevel
Guide

In what way are the solutions being offered unsuitable?
Until Netgear makes corrected firmware available, the only fix is to rollback to the earlier version
Message 25 of 86
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7