Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 limiting download speeds

CallOfRudy
Follower

R6700v3 limiting download speeds

We just moved into a new house a few weeks back and I'm a bit dumbfounded at this issue I'm running into. Signed up for a 400 Mbps plan and I am unable to get more than ~180 Mbps through wireless and wired connections, including a few different desktops/laptops and cellphones. I tried connecting directly to the provided modem and received speeds of close to 500 Mbps, so I feel pretty confident it's a router issue and not an ISP/cable/router port issue.

The router is a Netgear R6700v3 which supports up to gigabit speeds. The WAN and LAN ports on the router are all showing 1000Mbps/Full status in the router configuration and so is my ethernet adapter connection on my desktop computer. I've looked into this a lot with no success - I've seen a lot of suggestions talk about QoS or firmware issues. QoS is disabled and I tried updating to the newest firmware as well as several previous firmware versions with no change. It seems like this has been a pretty common issue with certain Netgear routers but haven't seen anyone find a fix for it yet through different reddit/netgear threads.

I realize that 180 Mbps is plenty of speed for most situations, but I would still like to get the speeds I'm paying for, especially since it seems like the ISP is actually providing those speeds. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R6700v3 limiting download speeds

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF the ISP modem and back ON and complete the setup wizard. Be sure to not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or any Access Controls. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: R6700v3 limiting download speeds

@CallOfRudy wrote:

We just moved into a new house a few weeks back and I'm a bit dumbfounded at this issue I'm running into. Signed up for a 400 Mbps plan and I am unable to get more than ~180 Mbps through wireless and wired connections

Wireless can never match wired. Its physics.

When the documentation says "gigabit speeds", that the local Ethernet traffic. Internet connections won't go that fast 

Remember, when moving house, your Internet service is very different. So, if this is hardware that travelled with you, reset everything  – modem and router – and set it up from fresh.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

I tried connecting directly to the provided modem and received speeds of close to 500 Mbps, so I feel pretty confident it's a router issue and not an ISP/cable/router port issue.

Any chance that it is a modem/router? (We can't tell unless you reveal the details.) Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The router is a Netgear R6700v3 which supports up to gigabit speeds.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7