Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700v3 unable to support 400Mbps - capped at 140Mbps

JohnyVindex
Aspirant

R6700v3 unable to support 400Mbps - capped at 140Mbps

My R6700v3 seems to have the internet downlink capped at around 140Mbps.  I upgraded to 400 Mbps service but was unable to get the connection speeds.  A tecnician from the ISP came to take a look and switched out routers to show that the modem was not the issue and even direct connected to my PC and I am getting speeds over 400Mbps even when using the R6700 my connection is capped at around 140Mbps.   The technician said that the R6700 was know to not support the higher speed internet, but I cannot find anything in the specifications that would indicate that wired connections would be limited.  

Can anyone confirm whether the R6700v3 should be able to support 400 Mbps, or do I need to get a replacement router.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
A_ALI
Star

I couldn't wait anymore, kicked the family off the internet...and...Success!!!  After a factory reset, and a little waiting, I'm still on Firmware version V1.0.3.66_10.0.50, and using Speedtest my download speed is 947Mbps!  This is great!  Going to test my other wired devices to make sure all is good there, and then I'm done for now! 

I'm hoping that Netgear sees this post, and start looking into a fix to resolve the issue with the new firmware.  I'd love to be back on the newest firmware version.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 21

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the R6700 supports gigabit speeds.  The cable guy wasn't giving you good info. I specifically don't have an R6700 but I've hit gigabit with an R6300. so it brings you to troubleshooting.

1. how are you testing the speeds? Wifi isn't a reliable way. Make sure you are hardwired into the router and try more than one device if you have it. also make sure you are using a decent quality cable. 

2. You state you can pull the full speeds if you're wired into the modem. What modem is it?

3. Firmware on the router? 

4. whenever you update services, I always start with a factory reset. It removes any qos settings or other settings that could be slowing you down. You can do a bunch a troubleshooting, but sometimes its faster/simpler to start from factory. 

Here's the support site for the R6700. It'll have your most recent firmware, an install guide (in case you do factory reset it), and a manual

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6700v3

Message 2 of 21
JohnyVindex
Aspirant

1. I have a cat 6 cable connected from my pc to the router (no wifi involved)

The cable guy had a Netgear 1900 with him, he unplugged the R6700 and replaced it with the 1900 using all my cables exactly as my set up and we were testing using speedtest.net with his router we were getting 450Mbps with 22Mbps uplink (ish), when switching back to my router it immediately dropped to 140down/22up ish.

2. The modem was supplied by Charter Spectrum and is a Arris D3.1 WIRED EMTA (no markings on it that comes from an email)

3. Firmware is latest V1.0.4.78_10.0.55

4. There are no QOS settings enabled in any of the settings pages, but I have not done a factory reset, just a hard power off.

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

here's what I'd try. 

1. power off the modem.

2. Factory reset the router. Start fresh.

3. Setup your router with modem off. when you've done your basic setup, save a copy of the configuration in case you have to reset it in the future.

4. power off the router.

5. power on modem for a couple minutes. Let it fully boot and get up and running.

6. then power up the router. give it a couple minutes to fully boot. log into gui to make sure its connected to internet properly.

7. then speedtest. 

8. if still getting lower speeds, try replacing the cable between router and modem. Still low? try replacing cable between router and computer.

did it work?

Message 4 of 21
A_ALI
Star

Cable Modem:  Netgear CM1000

Wireless Router:  Netgear R6700v3

I have the R6700v3 that had the latest version of firmware installed automatically during setup.  I had recently upgraded with Comcast to the Gigabit service after purchasing a Netgear CM1000 cable modem, but was never able to get even close to the paid for speed.  Average speed was only in the low 200Mbps, and never higher than 220.  I verified that I was using Cat5e to eliminate that the ethernet cable was the issue.  I disconnected the router, and plugged my PC directly into the CM1000.  Restarted, and checked dowload speed with SpeedTest.  My download speeds were 953Mbps. I re-attached my router to the cable modem and plugged my PC into port 4 on the router to confirm, and speed goes back to 218Mbps.  

All of the pieces were Gigabit capable, so why was the router the problem???  After some research, I found out that the latest firmware was the issue.  The reluctantly recommended fix was to downgrade the firmware (No one wants to go to a lower version of firmware).  I had to test this out.  I downloaded R6700v3-V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 (Which is only one version away from the current version 1.0.4.78), and followed the process to install.  After rebooting the Router, I was able to get about half of my paid for download speed.  Fastest speed after several tests was was able to 526Mbps.  Much happier then I was before!!  I'm going to test with the firmware just below 1.0.3.66 to see if that helps.  Not sure what version 1.0.4.78 introduces into the router, but it is bad!  I also turned off auto-update to eliminate it screwing with my download speeds.  I have 11 devices on my home network, and anywhere from 5-9 Wireless devices also connected at various points of the day. Speed is Very Important to my family, and if the downgrade was the fix, I'm okay with it for now. 

Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

did you factory reset after downgrading the firmware? its always a good idea after firmware updates or downgrades.

Have you enabled ivp6 or ivp4 in the advanced settings? I tested a router once that would only pull gigabit with ivp6 for some reason.

Are you using QoS? if so try enabling it, speedtesting, and then disabling. 

Message 6 of 21
A_ALI
Star

I did not!  I will give that a shot and report back!

Message 7 of 21
A_ALI
Star

Tried only changing QoS setup.  I enabled download and upload QoS, and my download test tanked!  Went down to like 1.25Mbps...Really weird.  There are too many online at the moment to do a factory reset, and retest.  I'll have to wait until very late tonight to do it.  Will report back as soon as possible. 

Message 8 of 21
A_ALI
Star

I couldn't wait anymore, kicked the family off the internet...and...Success!!!  After a factory reset, and a little waiting, I'm still on Firmware version V1.0.3.66_10.0.50, and using Speedtest my download speed is 947Mbps!  This is great!  Going to test my other wired devices to make sure all is good there, and then I'm done for now! 

I'm hoping that Netgear sees this post, and start looking into a fix to resolve the issue with the new firmware.  I'd love to be back on the newest firmware version.

Message 9 of 21
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working! That's why we struggle when technicians are giving bad information like they did to you.
Message 10 of 21
that1crzywhtguy
Aspirant

I'm using the same router, same modem, and have been unable to replicate your success. Tried doing the factory wipe, and I'm already on the downgraded firmware. 😞

Message 11 of 21
A_ALI
Star

Do you get your advertized speed when you connect directly to the modem with your PC or Laptop? 

Message 12 of 21
that1crzywhtguy
Aspirant

Sure do. Think I'm gonna just return.
Message 13 of 21
Krethys
Apprentice

I have same issues on my R8000p Nighthawk, good speeds from my modem and even wired on router but throttled WiFi speeds. I am switching brands too 🙂

Message 14 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@Krethys wrote:

I have same issues on my R8000p Nighthawk, good speeds from my modem and even wired on router but throttled WiFi speeds.

The OP repoted the issue for his wired network connected systems was resolved following a factory reset and a reconfiguration. No word of wireless, and a complete diferent router product. 

Message 15 of 21
Krethys
Apprentice

Could be something they are doing wrong on their firmware releases and similar issue. High throughput at modem, bottleneck at the netgear product.

Message 16 of 21
that1crzywhtguy
Aspirant

Wifi and a completely different router means a completely different problem. Not related at all.
Message 17 of 21
Krethys
Apprentice

Data speeds are capped on WiFi much like your speeds are capped on Ethernet. I'd like to think these are data link errors in direct relation to firmware
Message 18 of 21
that1crzywhtguy
Aspirant

Wifi is always slower for starters.

But sure, there obviously could also be an issue with wireless speed, and on your model, but that's a seperate issue to be addressed seperately.
Message 19 of 21
Krethys
Apprentice

Not disagreeing with you. Just adding to the log here in case Netgear comes back through for analytical reasons or for diagnosing firmware releases. Much of their firmware is baselined the same and many .cfg attribs are same. Have my own issue open too
Message 20 of 21
that1crzywhtguy
Aspirant

Oh yeah cool. Was just about to suggest opening another thread.

To be honest, I've seen very little evidence of netgear caring about faulty firmware however. Surprise, surprise, the replacement I ordered was a different brand.

There is a known issue where one must revert to a previous firmware to get decent performance. And yet, nothing has been done. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing IS done either.

Just imo.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7