R6800 RSSI

bmohandes
Follower

R6800 RSSI

Hi,]

Seasons greetings eveyone...

I live in UK and use a Netgear R6800 dual band router.

I have a pair of RING doorbell chimes connected to it. The Doorbell itself is connected to my ISP' fiber router, but it all works well.....

Every now and then, the chimes 'loose' connection to the R6800, and flash, meaning WiFi connection is lost.

After I spoke to the Ring support team, they kept telling that its due to 'RSSI' settings on my router.

Personally I think the chimes are very small and have a cheap inbuilt antenna. The are less than 5m away from the router through a single internal wall.

What I do know if that if I turn the router off and then on again, they reconnect to it.

Wikipedia tells me that " In telecommunications, received signal strength indicator (RSSI) is a measurement of the power present in a received radio signal. RSSI is usually invisible to a user of a receiving device. However, because signal strength can vary greatly and affect functionality in wireless networking, IEEE 802.11 devices often make the measurement available to users."

I could not find any options on h settings for RSSI with the R6800.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks, Bijan

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: R6800 RSSI

@bmohandes wrote:

Hi,]

Seasons greetings eveyone...

I live in UK and use a Netgear R6800 dual band router.

I have a pair of RING doorbell chimes connected to it. The Doorbell itself is connected to my ISP' fiber router, but it all works well.....

Every now and then, the chimes 'loose' connection to the R6800, and flash, meaning WiFi connection is lost.

After I spoke to the Ring support team, they kept telling that its due to 'RSSI' settings on my router.

Personally I think the chimes are very small and have a cheap inbuilt antenna. The are less than 5m away from the router through a single internal wall.

What I do know if that if I turn the router off and then on again, they reconnect to it.

Wikipedia tells me that " In telecommunications, received signal strength indicator (RSSI) is a measurement of the power present in a received radio signal. RSSI is usually invisible to a user of a receiving device. However, because signal strength can vary greatly and affect functionality in wireless networking, IEEE 802.11 devices often make the measurement available to users."

I could not find any options on h settings for RSSI with the R6800.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks, Bijan

Your statement about having a fibre router AND the netgear router might be your issue. When you're running 2 routers on your network it can cause many issues. Such as dropped connection.......its called double nat.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2 easiest options are to place your fibre box in passthrough mode or to place the router in AP mode. This leaves only 1 device controlling the network. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E