R6800 connection dropping every hour after Firmware V1.20.76_1.0.1 update

georgevermij
Tutor

R6800 connection dropping every hour after Firmware V1.20.76_1.0.1 update

Hi guys,

To start off, best wishes for 2021! Internet wise my year started with a bit of downer.

Usually, I check my R6800 router once in a while for updates and on Friday I saw that there was a firmware update (V1.20.76_1.0.1). After downloading it I, unfortunately, noticed some issues that I didn't have before installing the update.

-Firstly  I got a notification that there was a time zone difference between my router and another device. Eventually, I fixed this but I mention it because it might be related to the second problem:  

-The internet connection to all devices (wired and wireless) drops approximately every hour. The light on the router glows amber for a minute and then the connection is reestablished. This affects all the devices that are connected to the router: Internet on PC is down for a minute but also on my Apple TV (wired connection) when I'm watching a youtube clip for example. Devices that are connected through Wi-Fi like my iPhone have the same issue.

Set-up wise the router is connected to a modem and the modem doesn't have a connection problem. Plugged in my PC to the ethernet port to check and there are no drops. As my modem has so-so Wifi and only 3 ports I need to use a router to connect more devices.

As I didn't have this issue prior to the firmware update I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same issue. Everything worked perfectly before the update and I had no issues related to the connection dropping temporarily.

And can anyone suggest a fix that doesn't involve a reset? Already tried turning the modem and router off and rebooting them but to no avail. Was hoping that a change in the settings might do the trick so all suggestions are welcome!

Cheers!

G

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
georgevermij
Tutor

Re: R6800 connection dropping every hour after Firmware V1.20.76_1.0.1 update

Thanks for the tip Plemans! Reinstalling an older version of the firmware worked. I don't have any issues with internet drops. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

sorry but usually we do recommend a factory reset and clean install if there's issues after an update. 

If you're really against doing it, you could simply try downgrading the firmware back to the other version. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 7
georgevermij
Tutor

Thank you and will try downgrading first and do a factory reset if that doesn't work.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

let us know how it goes! good luck

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 4 of 7
georgevermij
Tutor

Thanks for the tip Plemans! Reinstalling an older version of the firmware worked. I don't have any issues with internet drops. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
do-you
Guide

Hi Georgevermij

i have the same problem and think the problem is connected with ReadyShare Vault as the problem came back after a while after downgrading and factory-reset.

Curious to know:

• Do you use ReadyShare Vault too?

Best

Message 6 of 7
georgevermij
Tutor

Sorry for the late reply. I don't use Vault but I do use readyshare for a hard drive that I have plugged in to my router. 
I still don't have any issues after changing to the old firmware although I do wonder what I should do if I ever want to upgrade the firmware for safety reasons.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E