Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6800 connection dropping every hour after Firmware V1.20.76_1.0.1 update

georgevermij
Tutor

R6800 connection dropping every hour after Firmware V1.20.76_1.0.1 update

Hi guys,

To start off, best wishes for 2021! Internet wise my year started with a bit of downer.

Usually, I check my R6800 router once in a while for updates and on Friday I saw that there was a firmware update (V1.20.76_1.0.1). After downloading it I, unfortunately, noticed some issues that I didn't have before installing the update.

-Firstly  I got a notification that there was a time zone difference between my router and another device. Eventually, I fixed this but I mention it because it might be related to the second problem:  

-The internet connection to all devices (wired and wireless) drops approximately every hour. The light on the router glows amber for a minute and then the connection is reestablished. This affects all the devices that are connected to the router: Internet on PC is down for a minute but also on my Apple TV (wired connection) when I'm watching a youtube clip for example. Devices that are connected through Wi-Fi like my iPhone have the same issue.

Set-up wise the router is connected to a modem and the modem doesn't have a connection problem. Plugged in my PC to the ethernet port to check and there are no drops. As my modem has so-so Wifi and only 3 ports I need to use a router to connect more devices.

As I didn't have this issue prior to the firmware update I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same issue. Everything worked perfectly before the update and I had no issues related to the connection dropping temporarily.

And can anyone suggest a fix that doesn't involve a reset? Already tried turning the modem and router off and rebooting them but to no avail. Was hoping that a change in the settings might do the trick so all suggestions are welcome!

Cheers!

G

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
georgevermij
Tutor

Re: R6800 connection dropping every hour after Firmware V1.20.76_1.0.1 update

Thanks for the tip Plemans! Reinstalling an older version of the firmware worked. I don't have any issues with internet drops. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

sorry but usually we do recommend a factory reset and clean install if there's issues after an update. 

If you're really against doing it, you could simply try downgrading the firmware back to the other version. 

Message 2 of 7
georgevermij
Tutor

Thank you and will try downgrading first and do a factory reset if that doesn't work.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

let us know how it goes! good luck

Message 4 of 7
georgevermij
Tutor

Thanks for the tip Plemans! Reinstalling an older version of the firmware worked. I don't have any issues with internet drops. 

Message 5 of 7
do-you
Guide

Hi Georgevermij

i have the same problem and think the problem is connected with ReadyShare Vault as the problem came back after a while after downgrading and factory-reset.

Curious to know:

• Do you use ReadyShare Vault too?

Best

Message 6 of 7
georgevermij
Tutor

Sorry for the late reply. I don't use Vault but I do use readyshare for a hard drive that I have plugged in to my router. 
I still don't have any issues after changing to the old firmware although I do wonder what I should do if I ever want to upgrade the firmware for safety reasons.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7