Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6850 won't recognize my modems internet

warlock6151
Aspirant

R6850 won't recognize my modems internet

I've owned this unit for over a year now and finally decided to utilize it in place of the unit I had to purchase from my internet provider ( COMTREND unit- combo modum & WiFi)  , 

My Netgear will not connect to it even after several attempts to do so. It will power up all the lights initially flash and the only ones that stay lit are the power and WiFi light. The internet light will not turn on.I've used the nighthawk app, and the Genie mode provided  in the Netgear sign in. I've inputted ALL of the information trying to get it to connect IE: MAC addy, IP addresses,..Subnet mask, and DNS's. Nothing I try will allow my Netgear unit to connect to the already exsisting internet connection provided by the Comtrend modum.

I need some help here if I'm ever going to be able to utilize my Netgear WiFi unit

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: R6850 won't recognize my modems internet

Try it in access point mode. 

the comtrend is a modem/router combo device and puts you in a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 12
warlock6151
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply,.. but exactly how is that accomplished (axcess point mode) ??

I'm not the most savy person when it comes to these things. and it's quite frustrating to me to know the Netgear unit is far better and I can't get the dang thing to work,..Smiley Embarassed

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 12
warlock6151
Aspirant

Thanks for the link,.. however my laptop doesn't provide a port for a ethernet type plugin,.. I guess I have to wait until I can find a a USB type connector line with a ethernet conversion on the other end of it. My Netgear unit does have a USB-2.0  plugin port on it,.. can I use a double ended USB cable to transfer the needed info from my laptop to the Netgear unit ??

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

You don't have to connect the laptop/pc to the router with ethernet to set it up in access point mode. 

You can connect to it over wifi and follow the same process. 

Message 6 of 12
warlock6151
Aspirant

Well I'll have to give that a try then,.. the artical made the comment of the ethernet connection between the 2 of them and no mention of doing it based on a wifi signal is this something that the "Nighthawk app" does somewhere along the line ? All I've ever had the sign-in section of that app do is ask about setting like I mentioned in my original post and keeps going back to the same set of questions over and over with no effect in the outcome.

I've never been prompted to a new set of possible inputs

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

You need to connect the router to the other router using ethernet. but the laptop/pc can be wireless for setting up access point mode

Message 8 of 12
warlock6151
Aspirant

Alright,.. I finally managed to get the page that pops up asking for the admin info and password. That's as far as it goes as the page "times-out" on each attempt I've done (about 8 of them so far) I'm guessing I'll have to contact my internet provider and have one of their techs come out and handle this as I can never get to a page that shows me an ADVANCED tab or Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings > to be able to Enable the AP Mode.

I truely appreciate all of your input in trying to help me here,.. and thank you for your time and assistance !

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

have you tried a different web browser or different pc/laptop?

Message 10 of 12
warlock6151
Aspirant

Yeah,.. my cell phone and laptop, one is google, and the other is chrome, no luck on any of them. Things shouldn't have to be so hard,.. never had any issues with my other modems. so my issues have to be due to this new modem combo unit, what a piece of crap !
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Try this. disconnect the R6850 from everything. 

then factory reset it. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

then during setup, install it in access point without connecting it to the comtrend.

You might have to first install it in router mode and then switch it but make sure to leave it disconnected from the comtrend. You can skip the internet connection part of setup.  

Once you have it switched to access point mode, then connect it to the comtrend. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7