R6900: How did i get blocked from the internet. Is there a log of how just my laptop got blocked?

reah
Aspirant

R6900: How did i get blocked from the internet. Is there a log of how just my laptop got blocked?

My laptop got blocked from internet.  I had to reset the router since the password was not working. Is there a way to know how it got blocked in the first place? 

Message 1 of 15

Re: R6900: How did i get blocked from the internet. Is there a log of how just my laptop got blocked

@reah wrote:

My laptop got blocked from internet.

What did you see when this happened? Any prompts?

How were you connected? Wifi? Wired?

Was it just the laptop? What about other things?

Is it a Windows laptop?

What version is the firmware on your R6900?

Apologies for piling on the questions, but we need to know more about what is happening at your end.

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
    Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
    Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 15
reah
Aspirant

Re: R6900: How did i get blocked from the internet. Is there a log of how just my laptop got blocked

Mode: R6900, AC1900

I was browsing on Chrome. Amazon, emails etc. Didn't get any prompts. First i thought my internet connection went off. Later i found that my laptop as blocked in the router.

No other machines were in 'blocked' state. 

Message 3 of 15

@reah wrote:

Later i found that my laptop as blocked in the router.

What told you that? Windows? Something in the router?

You didn't answer my question about wifi or wired. It matters.

And what about the firmware on your R6900? That matters too.

You asked:

Is there a way to know how it got blocked in the first place?

There is support stuff for the R6900 at the end of this link:

>>> R6900 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 197. The logs might give a clue.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Please allow some more questions ...

What Internet Service Provider (ISP)?

Any special Internet configuration requirements, authentication, like PPPoE or PPTP, ...?

Message 5 of 15
reah
Aspirant

Thr router showed me ad blocked (http://www.routerlogin.com under Attached Devides)

I was on WiFi.

Firmware Version: V1.0.0.2_1.0.2

Message 6 of 15

@reah wrote:

Thr router showed me ad blocked (http://www.routerlogin.com under Attached Devides)

Does that mean you have an ad blocker? Or does "ad" mean attached device?

Ad blockers can get in the way of pop-up Windows that are only doing what you told then to do.

If we are talking about Attached Devices, is Access Control turned on? Unblock it.

Firmware Version: V1.0.0.2_1.0.2

That is seriously old firmware, the initial release. There have been several more more since then. You would do well to get the latest:

R6900 Firmware Version 1.0.1.34 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

There is an even newer version that hasn't reached the finishing line for a full release:

R6900 Firmware Version 1.0.1.44 - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The Release Notes explain how to apply the firmware, but first you will have to work out how to kill that ad blocker, if that is what we are talking about here. Hard to tell from the minimal information provided. If possible, do the upgrade with a wired connection.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 15
reah
Aspirant

not ad it was meant to be as.  Sorry for the typo.

My router showed me as blocked. I was answering to you question "What told you that? Windows? Something in the router?"

The log only show the logged in details. Also i lost what happened before i reset my router.

Message 8 of 15

And the question about Access Control?

Just another user.

Message 9 of 15
reah
Aspirant

Access Control is turned on. I though that was to block other devices to access my network. Can they block my laptop?

Message 10 of 15

If your laptop is blocked in Attached Devices, what do you see in Access Control?

Just another user.

Message 11 of 15
reah
Aspirant

My laptop while it was blocked showed "The device is blocked by access control in the router"

So I accessed router through the desktop to see if i was blocked. 

Laptop WiFi. Desktop wired. 

What i am trying to figure out is that, Other than someone blocking me by clicking the 'block' button, what are the other ways i can get blocked from the router? 

Message 12 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi reah,

Are you still getting the same problem?

Message 13 of 15
reah
Aspirant

no i don't.. seems to be working fine now.

Message 14 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi reah,

Thank you for confirming.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements