R6900 Latest Firmware Locks Up Every 2 Days (cannot access router or internet)

DavidNetwork
Aspirant

R6900 Latest Firmware Locks Up Every 2 Days (cannot access router or internet)

On an R6900 Nighthawk and just upgraded a few days ago to the latest firmware 1.0.1.44_10.0.28. Ever since, the router will lock up. Details:

- Lights on the front are fine and show connected

- Wired devices (my desktop) loses access to the internet and even to 192.168.1.1 - I can only ping the address, but nothing else work (no internet, no TRACERT, etc)

- Wireless devices cannot connect (mobile phone, Xbox, iPad)

- Wireless devices that are already connected show that they are connected, but have no access. When disconnected from wi-fi, they can not reconnect to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Tried both networks. 

The only thing that helps is a reboot of the router; something I have never had to do since I've owned it. Since I cannot access the router via the router IP or routerlogin.net, and the display lights show ok, I am assuming the router is locked upor or is having some major internal issue. It's clearly more than internet here. Not positive it's the new firmware, but it's a strong suspect given the timing.

If you've experienced the same and have a solution, please reply. I am considering rolling back to the previous firmware, but before I do I'd like to hear from the community. My 90 day support is up, so the community is all I have.

Thanks in advance. 

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: R6900 Latest Firmware Locks Up Every 2 Days (cannot access router or internet)

@DavidNetwork wrote:

On an R6900 Nighthawk and just upgraded a few days ago to the latest firmware 1.0.1.44_10.0.28. Ever since, the router will lock up. 

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
DavidNetwork
Aspirant

Re: R6900 Latest Firmware Locks Up Every 2 Days (cannot access router or internet)

After more analysis, this problem appears to be related to using an external USB disk in the ReadySHARE USB port. I had never used the prot port before, but now after having the disk plugged in for 10-15 minutes, the router locks up. The disk is recognized and I can access it without any issues until the problem occurs. Not sure what the actual cause is (older Western Digital 160GB portable HD incompatibility, ReadySHARE issues, or something else). Router is stable as long as the disk is not plugged in. I'll review the community to see if anyone else has run into this issue,

Message 3 of 4

Good detective work.

Do you have another USB drive you can use to see if it applies to all USB drives or just this one?

Could it be that the USB drive needs m ore current than the USB port can deliver?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E