Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6900 Nighthawk AC1900 - 5ghz drops every day

Maloha
Star

R6900 Nighthawk AC1900 - 5ghz drops every day

Hi,

I have the Costco router AC1900 R6900. Setup was smooth, however, the 5ghz network drops every day and I have to reboot the router. The network is visible, just won't connect without a reboot. When it's connected, I get screaming speed...

Last night, by mistake, I left my pc on, and this morning the 5ghz network was still connected. I shut off the pc, restarted, and was still able to connect to the 5ghz because my phone was also connected to that network. When I disconnected both devices from the 5ghz, I could not reconnect either device. Only a reboot will allow access.

Ideas?? I was on chat with support last week, they said faulty router and return it...   I can do that because it's only 10 days old, but thought I'd throw this out here for any possible solutions...

Thank you!

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 40

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi Guppy,

Try to reset the router to factory default. If same thing, I would suggest contacting support team.

View solution in original post

Message 35 of 40

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Maloha,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Have you tried to reset the router to factory default and reconfigure?

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 40
Maloha
Star

Hi James,

Firmware Version
V1.0.0.4_1.0.10

Which I understand is the latest version.

Via a chat session with support we reset everything back to factory defaults. It miraculously started working for 3 days before doing any reflashing, then the same problem resurfaced. My devices see the network, but I get "incorrect password" and "cannot connect to this network". When I reboot, it connects. 

Message 3 of 40
Maloha
Star

As an update, I bought a 2nd R6900 yesterday and installed it this morinng. I'm having the EXACT same issue - I have to reboot the router in order to connect to the 5ghz network.

If I disconnect all devices from 5G, they will not reconnect without a reboot. I get a "wrong password" or "cannot connect to this nework" errors.  If I leave one device connected, the network stays available. 

For now, I'm going to keep the 2nd router, return the first Netgear, and live with the reboot situation. I even bought a Linksys 1900ac to try it out - the network stayed available without dropping, but the connection speeds were awful so I returned it.

Message 4 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi Maloha,

Can you try to load the previous firmware then check if the same problem. Reset after loading the firmware.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29920?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 40
Maloha
Star

I may try it this weekend if I have time. Currently, like I mentioned, the network stays available as long as at least one device stays connected 24/7.

Message 6 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi Maloha,

Provide us feedback once you have done loading the firmware.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 7 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi Maloha,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 8 of 40
Maloha
Star

Hi James,

Nope - doesn't help. I've reflashed the firmware, reset to defaults, everything that I've been asked to try and the problem still exists.

If I leave one device connected to the 5g network, then I can access/connect other devices. If I disconnect all devices (or they are out of range), then the router requires a reboot.

I'll be looking for a new router, but in the meantime I'm going to live with it - - I have 75 days to return the router to Costco.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi Maloha,

Try replacing the unit with the same model number. It might be a hardware issue.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 10 of 40
Maloha
Star

Hi James,

This *is* my 2nd unit. I bought the 2nd one on October 14th - exact same issues... I'm going to live with it and wait for a sale on something else - I have until Christmas to return this one...

Message 11 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi Maloha,

Please check your inbox.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 40
Maloha
Star

Messaged you

Message 13 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi Maloha,

Please continue to work with them and provide feedback for any resolution.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 14 of 40
Damador490
Tutor

I am having the same problem as Maloha. My internet speed will decrease as the day goes along. It is normally around 25mbps and will drop down to two or three and I won't be able to connect to 5g. Sometimes it shows but keeps asking for a password and then says wrong password. Other times you can't even see the 5g and the 2.4 is very slow. I do a reboot and everything works again. I have to reboot several times a day. I just bought the unit at Costco this week.
Message 15 of 40
Damador490
Tutor

As a side note, ATT is the internet provider and all I did was change from an older netgear router to a newer model.
Message 16 of 40
Maloha
Star

FWIW, I'm still having the problem. To their credit, support tried to call me twice but I wasn't home to answer the call. My ticket closed, but there has been no solution to the problem. My 5Ghz network dropped three times in the past week. I do a quick reboot and it resolves, but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

If I try to log on to the 5Ghz network, it keeps asking for the password and then I get the "cannot join the network" (or something like that) error. I reboot, then my devices all connect automatically.

Frustrating, but fortunately rebooting only takes a couple of minutes each time.

Message 17 of 40
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can always make a follow-up on your open case with support even if it auto-closed.

Message 18 of 40
jbaker04
Initiate

I too have the Costco Router.  Had 1st for 18 months with no issues.  Then randon drops on 5G, devices won't connect, passwords won't work, etc.  Can't get a netgear rep w/o per pay service (free phone support for only 90 days).  Finally got another router from Costco.  Set up and exact same problem.  On phone with Netgear for 60 minutes listening to music (system says all reps are busy).  I get frustrated and hang up.

I next decide to try changing the 5GHz channel.  Go from 157 (I think) to 161.  Same problem.  Change to 36 and bingo, 5GHz connects with most all devices.  No disconnects arter 24 hours.  Will keep checking, but may have found answer. 

Not sure if related, but when devices scan, I'm finding a lot of netgear routers in my area; most with both 2.4 and 5GHz signals. 

I wish Netgear would mention channel changes in start up guide as a way to optimize signal if connections drop or failure to recognize occurs. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 19 of 40
StephenB
Guru

@jbaker04 wrote:

Not sure if related, but when devices scan, I'm finding a lot of netgear routers in my area; most with both 2.4 and 5GHz signals. 

I suspect seeing a lot of 5 Ghz signals (Netgear or not) is relevant, especially when changing the channel improved performance.

@jbaker04 wrote:

I wish Netgear would mention channel changes in start up guide as a way to optimize signal if connections drop or failure to recognize occurs. 

It's not in the troubleshooting section of the user manual for your router either.  It is a surprising omission.

Message 20 of 40
singhbob
Initiate

I have same issues with my router that I bought from Costco. It worked fine for couple months and over last few days I have to reboot it everyday to get the wireless devices connected.

I did however update the firmware today to the latest available 1.0.1.16  hopefully it resolves the issue.  Additional issue I faced was that I was unable to perform firmaware version update via the routerlogin directly. Tried multiple times and it would say no internet connection. I had to download the file and then perform the firmware update. 

I am happy with router in general as it provides better wifi coverage and some better speeds, but if it keeps dropping connections I may have to return it. Hopefully Netgear is able to address this issue.

Had Apple Airport router for almost 6 years without having to face such connection drop issues i used to reboot it just for the sake of it once every couple months. Wondering If i should return the Nighthawk as its still within Costco return policy.

Message 21 of 40
Maloha
Star

I ended up keeping mine. It rarely drops the 5ghz signal now. Probably because I keep one device connected at home all the time. Haven't done the firmware update only because I'm afraid new problems will surface.

Message 22 of 40
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Try to perform a factory reset on your router and reconfigure it manually. Check and observe after the reset.

Message 23 of 40
Maloha
Star

Hi James,

Been there done that, it doesn't help. 🙁
Message 24 of 40
LeeH
Prodigy

You might be having a DHCP problem.  Have you tried reserving IP addresses in the router?

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 44 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7