Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6900 after firmware updated, no internet connection after doing checking firmware updated again

mluvw47
Aspirant

R6900 after firmware updated, no internet connection after doing checking firmware updated again

I updated my R6900 router to the latest verison ( R6900, Version 1.0.1.16)

After that, the router get rebooted and I am able to get internet connection and the connected device working fine. 

Then I login to the router again and Go the Administrator/Router update/Check firmware update

It shows. ""No Internet connection is detected. The router cannot check the NETGEAR server for updated firmware. After setting up your Internet connection, go to the Router Upgrade screen to check for updated firmware."

That is really strange error message. Anyone encounter this kind of issue? 

I have to download the previous version but still not getting resolved. I tried to go to "Setup"->"Internet connection" -> Test, it works just fine. 

So the only way I can get my R6900 seems doing manual firmware update., but why?

Thanks

Matt

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: R6900 after firmware updated, no internet connection after doing checking firmware updated again

@mluvw47 wrote:

Not sure about ISP block anything like that I am aware of it,  since it is In my case, I can do manual down the zip and perform update without any issue.Cat Happy

Comcast used to do DNS redirects, but I am not sure they are doing them now. 

You can test it by reconfiguring your router temporarily to use 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server (instead of the comcast-supplied DNS).  That's google's DNS server.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 27

All Replies

Did you reset the device to factory settings after the firmware flash?

This is sometimes, but not always necessary.

You certainly should try it if you have problems with new firmware.

Remember to note down key settings before you do it.

Message 2 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

Thanks. It is just interesting that need to do it. I would expect the firmware update will not cause this kind of akward issue. 

Message 3 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@mluvw47 - the message might be misleading, however there are multiple reports in the community that various router models have not got firmware upgrade notifications the last weeks.

Can't say more - most Nightawks get firmware updates (Beta or bugfix before the stuff is on the live feed) - lack of experience.

Message 4 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

Hi, @schumaku

IMHO, it is indeed confusioning and misleading. Someone should create  a bug on this matter, 'coz there is no way do firmware update from the router anymore. Need to save all the settting(in a file), like @michaelkenward mentions and then factory reset and restore it back.(And hopefully after that Check firmware update would work again, not to show this confusing message).  

For the record, this is what I have done. 

Step 1. stable v1.4 firmware update to v1.6 (beta) -- work fine thru the router. 

Step 2. from v1.6 (beta) checking firmware, gettin that above misleading message.

Step 3. manual download back to 1.4v, it still getting this above misleading message. 

Thanks,

Matt

PS: @schumaku Thumb up to u. Thnx

Message 5 of 27

@mluvw47 wrote:

Thanks. It is just interesting that need to do it. I would expect the firmware update will not cause this kind of akward issue. 

It doesn't always.

If it is just a security fix, then there won't be many other changes.

The reset is more important if Netgear adds new features to a device. These may not be compatible with the old settings.

No one forces anyone to update their firmware. If you don't want the new features, or they aren't relevant for you, just ignore the update.

Even security updates are mostly theoretical. I'vc seen no reports of real exploitation of the latest scare. It is just something that someone cooked up in a lab.

My line is not to reset unless I have to. If the thing works after the flash, leave it alone.

Message 6 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

Hi, @michaelkenward

I also have the same feeling too like u said. "If it is just a security fix, then there won't be many other changes.".

However, it doesn't seems happen in my case. 

Now I am on the latest (V1.0.1.16_1.0.15) and It is the same issue(Even after a hard reset, push the pin into the back of the router and hold for 5 seconds, and it got restart, all setting gone.), The firmware show the latest one that I updated,  Before I did restore my setting via the backup configure file, I did a "firmware update", it still the same above misleading message. 

So now, I restore my configuration back and did firmware update check, same misleading message, I guess it is just a bug after all which make me no longer able to do firmware update from the router. I really have to do manaul update.

I check my internet connection are all good, and the router mode is set as "Router" which I never make any change. The setting I did is changing the new SSID and that is all.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 7 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

I guess at the end. Flashing this firmware and factory reset(hold a pin on the back and wrap out all setting), still cannot solve this issue. 

Any one got any suggestion?

Message 8 of 27

@mluvw47 wrote:

Flashing this firmware and factory reset(hold a pin on the back and wrap out all setting), still cannot solve this issue. 

We are probably getting lost here. Let's go back to the beginning. Remind us, what is "this issue"?

Do you have an Internet connection through this router?

What modem is it connected to?

Where do you see this "Not connected" message?

If it is just the update server that you cannot reach, then you may have one of those freaky problems that comes up here from time to time. One user insisted that the update server was bust, but everyone else got in with no trouble. I don't think we ever resolved that one.

Message 9 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

Hi, @michaelkenward

Sorry I didn't make it clear. Yes, my router always got internet connection. 

Router now on the latest firmware, and I tried to follow what u mention did the factory reset by pushing a pin behind the hole on the reset button. So after the reset, I went back the Check firmware update, it still showing that ". "No Internet connection is detected. The router cannot check the NETGEAR server forupdated firmware. After setting up your Internet connection, go to the Router Upgrade screen to check for updated firmware.", and that is the issue.

My router just connect to the modem.

Yes, it is the update server that it cannot connect to. (Firmware update page). I am afarid that I am getting that freaky problems that u are mention none of your guys having this issue but me. =(   

That is just so bad, that means from now on, I cannot do firmware update on the router(from the page), I really need to do manual download and install. Right?

Regards,

Matt

Message 10 of 27

@mluvw47 wrote:
...I really need to do manual download and install. Right?

Probably. But I will let you into a secret, many people, especially experienced users, like to it that way anyway.

This gives us control over what we are doing. It also means that we do not run the risk of a failure, and a dead device, if something interrupts the Internet update. We have seen reports here of that happening. Then the only solution is to get into some complicated networking.

For the same reason, experienced users also prefer to do updates with a wired connection rather than wifi.

Message 11 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

IC, good to know. 

My house network connection is very simple, modem -> router, that is all. When I first bought the R6900, it ran prefectly working fine, and even the firmware upadate work prefectly..exactly recently update this latest firmware and cause this issue.

I was using Linksys router before and yes u are right, the only way to do fw update is manual update, 'coz the UI doesn't provide firmware update wireless.

For my current R6900, I was trying to do over my phone, of course it works before but no no more.

I was just a little upset w NetGear about that, if it does allow over firmware update wireless, it should just work prefectly(well, maybe I was just one of the "lucky" encounter this issue). If it doesn't allow to do firmware update wireless, it might as well disable this function. That is just my take on that.

@michaelkenward, anyway, thanks for letting me know the secret. 😃

Regards,

Matt

Message 12 of 27
iodie
Aspirant

I have the same issue but with a R7000 any time I got to check for new firmware I get an identical message to the one above about how there is no internet connection (even though there is).  With that said I have a perfectly functioning internet connection, and went through the process of manually updating the firmware (even after which still same message of no internet connection detected) since it would not update itself, however, I would like at least a reasoning/explaination for this issue.  I cannot risk a buggy / unpredictable router especially given the data I need to secure and reliability needed.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

Hi, @iodie

Thanks for posting the message that made me like to sing "You are not the only one" to myself. 😃 Yes, that is exactly the issue that I posted in here. It felt to me that that is just a bug that need to be fix. Like I mention to @michaelkenward, if the UI intended not being support or not working, it should go ahead and disable or even better (not to provide this feature) to confuse user. If it does, it should provide working function to the end user. 

I have also hard reset my router, but still not working, so I guess the only way to get it working is just wait for someone to file a bug and fix this issue. The router 6900 itself is a great piece of hardware, I am sure R7000 is great as well. However, leaving some bug like that on the firmware, that doesn't seem leave good experience to the end user. For me, I would like to have the latest version on it, 'coz due to security issue fixed. 

Is that any internal netgear engineer/insider montior this forum? If someone could put in a case that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 14 of 27

Is there any pattern to these "blockages"?

Which countries do the victims live in?

Could it be linked to some sort of "protection" software? A particular ISP?

It feels more like a remote hurdle than something to do with hardware or even Netgear's servers.

Message 15 of 27
iodie
Aspirant

I live in the United States and the feature worked perfectly fine for years it only just recently started happening. Given every connection to any other sure works and I had no trouble downloading firmware manually I doubt it has anything to do with the ISP.
Message 16 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

I don't think it is related to ISP(I am using Comcast), 'coz I didn't change any ISP before this incident occurs or after. 

Nothing change on my end, I mean the network configuration or no any new software got installed.

When I first got this router, I was able to do firmware update from the router itself without any issue.

It is just the latest firmware one that I update causing this issue. I haven't roll back the older firmware, 'coz I did want the security fix on my router. 

Yes, it kind of feel like remote hurdle, but the error message that really misleading. 

It is not no internet connection, it is just cannot reach to netgear firmware update server. 

The workaround will be manual update next firmware till this thing got fix. IMHO

Message 17 of 27

It is probably not at all related, but some ISPs have taken to blocking sites that hold naughty downloads. No, not filth, just copyright  music and movies.

This is partly why I see this as a remote issue.

One puzzling report came from someone who simply could not get firmware at all. It wasn't just the web update that failed, they could not even download zipped firmware from the Netgear website.

Then again, that victim was one of those paranoid types who interpreted everything as a personal affront, from a world that existed mostly to give them a hard time.

Message 18 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

Not sure about ISP block anything like that I am aware of it,  since it is In my case, I can do manual down the zip and perform update without any issue.Cat Happy

IMHO, Just hope that it got resolve and provide a better error message on the page for troubleshooting, so no one will be victim in this matter. Man Happy  Thanks @michaelkenward and @schumaku

Message 19 of 27
StephenB
Guru

@mluvw47 wrote:

Comcast used to do DNS redirects, but I am not sure they are doing them now. 

You can test it by reconfiguring your router temporarily to use 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server (instead of the comcast-supplied DNS).  That's google's DNS server.

Message 20 of 27
mluvw47
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB. That is exactly the solution that I am looking for. 

After changing the DNS on the router to 8.8.8.8(Primary one), do a firmware check, it shows "No firmware found". No more misleading message anymore. 

Regards,

Matt

Message 21 of 27

Does this mean that there are DNS out there that don't find the address for the Netgear servers?

Message 22 of 27
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Does this mean that there are DNS out there that don't find the address for the Netgear servers?

Yes. I does mean that some ISP are morons and prohibiting or capturing some domains (beyond of certain pssible legal requirements) becuse the "think" these are insecure or whatever. Popular free and commercial dynamic DNS domains (some vendor specific ones, too) for example are caught. And because these and most consumer ISP don't understand that an Internet connection is used for more than Web browsing and with some luck to handle email, M2M communication is torpedized - becuase machines can't read some redirection Web pages, and deal with it accordingly.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 23 of 27
iodie
Aspirant

I am also a Comcast subscriber so that is likely the connection, having said that oddly without making the DNS change on the router it started working again today (or at least reporting no new firmware instead of the previous message).
Message 24 of 27

@iodie wrote:
I am also a Comcast subscriber so that is likely the connection, having said that oddly without making the DNS change on the router it started working again today (or at least reporting no new firmware instead of the previous message).

Perhaps it has taken time for the Netgear address to roll out to the world's DNS system.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7