Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900 locking up

old_ras
Tutor

R6900 locking up

After I power off my Oculus 2 VR headset, the router locks up.

I am unable to re-connect to the router (wired and wireless). I am at firmware 1.0.2.16_10.0.42

Has anyone else experienced this?

I usually have to power cycle the router. The other work around is to just not power off the VR headset but that's not ideal.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
old_ras
Tutor

Re: R6900 locking up

I believe the R6900 had some hardware issue. I am not sure. If I get really motivated I might do more probing.

But after replacing it with a different router, I have not had any issues for the past two days, even with the Oculus 2 being

powered off. The R6900 only lasted for 2 - 3 years. I bought it from Costco. 

I'm going to mark this as resolved.

View solution in original post

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 5

All Replies
old_ras
Tutor

I suspect that the router is having hardware issues. In addition to the router being unavailable after using Oculus 2, the router has started intermittently dropping all devices and within a few seconds or so coming back. This results in a minute or more of interrupted video conference calls, etc. The interruptions have been gradually getting worse from infrequent, to more than once per day. I don't think the Oculus 2 VR headset had anything to do with the outages. Yesterday, I swapped out the router for another one and will see how things look today.

Message 2 of 5
old_ras
Tutor

I believe the R6900 had some hardware issue. I am not sure. If I get really motivated I might do more probing.

But after replacing it with a different router, I have not had any issues for the past two days, even with the Oculus 2 being

powered off. The R6900 only lasted for 2 - 3 years. I bought it from Costco. 

I'm going to mark this as resolved.

Message 3 of 5
FractalCode
Aspirant

I also get the intermittent drops and it is beyond frustrating as it causes me to completely disconnect from various applications. The ethernet ports on mine are also locked to 100mbps no matter what I try, and I've tried just about everything under the sun. There is definitely something inherently flawed with this thing's design. Everything about this router is sus and I definitely won't be purchasing Netgear again.  

Message 4 of 5
old_ras
Tutor

@FractalCode - 'Sorry to hear about your experience. I can relate to it - wifi dropping right in the middle of a conference call is so frustrating!

You might try, downloading this really neat free tool called "netspotapp" to look at your wifi environment. I can see the strength of the wifi signal of my router (and see my neighbors routers):
https://www.netspotapp.com/wireless-network-wifi-scanner.html

(for some instructions, look here: https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-change-wifi-channel-on-router)

If your signal is consistenly dropping out, you may want to try a new router, or if your channel range is flooded by your neighbors routers, you could switch channels around if your router can do that.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7