Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900 rebooting itself / freezing

DGLTX
Aspirant

R6900 rebooting itself / freezing

I have a R6900 from Costco which ran flawless for a couple of years, but started acting up since about one month. It suddenly looses internet connection for all connected devices (wired and wireless) even though there is still internet from the ISP, sometimes I can't even log into the router from a wired connection in this situation, sometimes it reboots itself. It locks up between several times a day and once in two weeks.Very frustrating with having the whole family working / schooling from home. The only thing which changed about a month ago is that we have some more devices online. We now have 30-40 devices in the attached devices list with about half of them hardwired via switches, the other half on WiFi in both, 2.4 and 5.Ghz. Sometimes the router status page shows a negative number for attached devices which maybe due to a Netgear WiFi Extender which I may have to hardwire as an access point. But that should not cause the lockups / self reboots. Problem with a lockup is I can't access the log to see what happened, when it self reboots it starts with a clean log, so I do not know what was going on.

I have tried the following without success.

• Reinstalled the latest firmware (V.1.0.2.16_10.0.2.42) even though I had this already before, performed a factory reset and configured everything new.
  • Added some support feet under the router so it has more air circulation (although it does not feel hot).
  • Disabled OpenDNS parental control.
  • I am not using Netgear Armor and have also disabled UPNP.
  • I have checked and replugged the power supply. It is connected to a UPS.

I am about to switch to an Edgerouter. Very disappointed by Netgear that their products last only a few years, hope someone can help before I make the decision to abandon Netgear in its entirety.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DGLTX
Aspirant

Re: R6900 rebooting itself / freezing

OK, here is the update. Did a factory reset, installed the 1.0.2.6 firmware via cable, another factory reset, reconfigured everything by hand and rebooted the router. 5 minutes later it froze up again. As this was no solution I went back to the most recent 1.0.2.16 firmware, factory reset, reconfigured. This time the router even stopped refreshing the web interface while updating the settings. So it looks like it is dying after only 4.5 years of operation.

I removed it and reinstalled my old Tomato flashed Linksys router which now runs fine, although the WiFi is slower. But at least I can work now until a new non-Netgear router arrives which then hopefully lasts a bit longer.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try installing version 1.0.2.6 of the firmware over a hardwired connection. then do the factory reset/clean install option. Disable auto-updates and see how it runs. The newer 2 versions have armor and even though its disabled, I've still seen a few devices struggle with the armor firmwar.e 

Message 2 of 5
DGLTX
Aspirant

OK, thanks for the suggestion. Will try this. When looking at the release notes the newer versions 1.0.2.8 and 1.0.2.16 fixed "other security issues" and "security vulnerability issues". Should I be concerned taking a pass on these with downgrading to an older firmware? Is there some more detailed listing what these issues were they adressed?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

sadly its part of the risk you run. 

Good thing is that netgear actually does update firmware for those vulnerabilities. Many companies are horrible at updating firmware. 

I've had several flagship routers that didn't get any updates after release. the R6900 was released 5 years ago and is still getting updates. 

You can always try this.

1. factory reset the router back to stock. 

2. then reload the firmware to the router over a hardwired connection. let it fully reboot. 

3. Then reset it back to factory again and do a clean install. (not from backup). 

Maybe your firmware is corrupt and I've found the best results following the above. 

Message 4 of 5
DGLTX
Aspirant

OK, here is the update. Did a factory reset, installed the 1.0.2.6 firmware via cable, another factory reset, reconfigured everything by hand and rebooted the router. 5 minutes later it froze up again. As this was no solution I went back to the most recent 1.0.2.16 firmware, factory reset, reconfigured. This time the router even stopped refreshing the web interface while updating the settings. So it looks like it is dying after only 4.5 years of operation.

I removed it and reinstalled my old Tomato flashed Linksys router which now runs fine, although the WiFi is slower. But at least I can work now until a new non-Netgear router arrives which then hopefully lasts a bit longer.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7