Re: R6900 stopped recognizing Backup Plus Hub

JWallyR
Aspirant

R6900 stopped recognizing Backup Plus Hub

Ok, here's the sequence of events:
1) I purchased an R6900 from Costco, brought it home and set it up with my existing 4TB WD MyBook hard drive, noting that I was able to access the drive as expected. (Took a few reboots of the router to really get it working for no good, obvious reason, but whatever.)
2) Due to space constraints on the old drive (it was nearly full, and Time Machine offers no way to transition an existing local USB backup to a network sparsebundle backup) I purchased a 5TB Seagate Backup+ Hub (also from Costco) and plugged it into the R6900. Showed up as expected, all's well.
3) (Safely) Removed the 5TB Backup+ from the router to connect it directly to my laptop for partitioning, as I hope to back multiple Mac laptops up to it, and Time Machine works best with defined partitions for each backup.
4) Partitioning went fine; reconnected the 5TB Backup+ device to the R6900 router to see all of the partitions detected and presented as network storage. Great!
5) Designated one of the drives as a backup drive for Time Machine on my laptop; it completed a backup without incident.
6) Noticed the USB drives on the front of the 5TB Backup+ device and plugged my 4TB MyBook in; pleasantly surprised to see it appear as a selectable share, but I had difficulty actually connecting to it. Chalking it up to an unforeseen set of circumstances not supported by NetGear, I thought no more of it.
7) Several days pass, during which my laptop continues to back up over the network without incident. After which additional hardware arrives from Amazon which, although unrelated to my router and hard drive setup, requires me to temporarily power them down and move them out of the way for routing of cables and etc.
😎 Due to unforeseen personal circumstances (illness in the family, no fun but irrelevant), I don't get around to installing the unrelated hardware, and instead plug *just* the router back into power so that the household has Internet access. Three days pass.
9) Today I get around to reconnecting the 5TB Backup+ device to the router, only to find that it does not appear as a network share, and is not appearing in the router's management UI. I get a "No disk" message when I click on the "Create Network Folder". Oddly enough, other USB devices *are* detected when plugged into the 5TB Backup+ device's USB ports.

10) I plug the 5TB Backup+ Device directly into my laptop and see the partitions without problem, and USB devices connected to its ports also appear as normal. I run Disk First Aid on the partitions to find no problem, and eject the drive to reconnect it to the R6900.
11) When the 5TB Backup+ device continues to not be detected by the R6900, I attempt to factory reset the R6900 in case something got garbled in cache somewhere, and it's preventing the 5TB Backup+ from being properly detected. After reconnecting to the R6900 (using the preset SSID/password combos, suggesting that the factory reset "took"), I reconnect the 5TB Backup+ device to find that it still does not appear in the list.

So, that's my attempt to exhaustively illustrate that the R6900 *did* detect the 5TB drive incorporated in the Backup+ device both before and after partitioning. It even continued to work after I plugged the 4TB MyBook drive into its built-in hub, although my access to the MyBook drive was sketchy at best. However, for no obvious reason, after clicking the "Safely Remove USB Device" button to eject devices before the initial power-down ~3 to 4 days ago, it will no longer recognize the Backup+ Hub. As the *only* reason I purchased this router was due to its support of networked Time Machine backup, and it worked using the 5TB drive (right up until it didn't), I'm really frustrated and irritated. I've been given no reason to believe that the Backup+ device isn't working to its specifications, so I'm left with the R6900's inconsistent behavior.

Any thoughts on what to do here? After being pretty happy with everything working (after several days of consecutive Time Machine backups without hiccup), I broke down the packaging and recycled it, so I'm not sure I can return the R6900. Its wholly unfit for use if I can't get it to play nice with my backup drive, though.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
rubinre
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.  Readyshare says "no disk" even though my Seagate 5TB Backup Plus Hub is connected via the USB port.  When I connected a thumbdrive to one of the "hubs" on the harddrive, readyshare did recognize the thumb drive and ONLY the thumbdrive.

Message 2 of 8
rubinre
Aspirant

According to Netgear Support, ReadyShare will not support external hard drives greater than 4TB.  In my opinion, Netgear should be obligated to note this product limitation under product specs and compatibility for the 6900.  Netgear's failure to do so rises to the level of consumer fraud.

Message 3 of 8
JWallyR
Aspirant

Well, I'm pretty sure that 5TB "limit" is nonsense, because after some tinkering I was able to get my Backup+ Hub working with the R6900... by putting a $7 USB 2.0 hub between it and the router. Apparently that forces the Backup+ Hub to fall back to USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0, and the R6900 recognizes it as a valid drive. Then I learned that you have to format the names of shared volumes without spaces, because it's not smart enough to handle that character.

So, aside from having to reboot the router to make any configuration change to USB Readyshare stick, it seems to mostly be working. Time machine is backing up, the partition for shared files is accessible and working, so aside from the naming weirdness and undocumented requirement that any hubs connected be USB 2.0 isntead of 3.0 (with a commensurate decrease in throughput), I'm pretty ok with it. Not super impressed with the software, and it's updated to the most recent firmware version so I don't think I can expect any actual software upgrades at this point, but... it was cheap. *shrug*

Message 4 of 8
William10a
Master

Yes the usb 2 port while slower works where the usb 3 port has problems is a common issue in many posting to tell the truth a usb hard drive is a very limited way of handling network storage has always had issue when the first router came out with a single usb 1 port years ago.

Now the next serials of routers on the market  have two ports or  more, some even have a combine esata and usb 2 together it still comes down to the router is left doing work of storage access controller for the added ports I do not see things changing soon.

Message 5 of 8
JWallyR
Aspirant

Just so we're on the same page- I understand that the R7000 has 2 USB ports, one being 2.0 and the other being 3.0 (or something, I don't really care because that's not what I have). The R6900, which I have learned is something of a "special order" for Costco, only has a single USB port. I *think* it handles USB 3.0 for purposes of plugging a drive directly into the router (tested using a "plain old" USB 3.0 HD), but for some reason it seems to choke when connected to a USB 3.0 hub in any way, and I say this having tried connecting a cheapo USB 3.0 hub in case the issue was the USB 3.0 hub built into the Seageate Backup+ Hub device, but finding it to still give me fits.

So, yeah, at the end of the day I've managed to get it working, and since I'm using it for network Time Machine backup and simple network access, I'm not too worried about the markedly reduced bandwidth of USB 2.0 instead of 3.0. It's still annoying, and the oddities of having to trial-and-error troubleshoot the darn thing have still left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Message 6 of 8
William10a
Master

I believe the true issue with the usb 3 port is the transform rate since usb can handle 4.8 gb of data and the lan 1gb is limited to 1gb the chip set for the usb 3 may at its present limit. if the 1gb gives way to a 5gb or faster the usb 3 may be powerfull then. 

Message 7 of 8
TW_MMA
Aspirant

I have the same problem: my Seagate Backup Plus 5TB drive stopped working; it no longer shows up in the router GUI; a USB memory stick will work however.

>> "According to Netgear Support, ReadyShare will not support external hard drives greater than 4TB."

That's strange, because the drive WAS working just fine...

I think if it worked before it can be made to work again...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E