Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P 5Ghz dead after failed firmware upgrade

Greenbean123
Aspirant

R6900P 5Ghz dead after failed firmware upgrade

I was in the router settings and upgraded my firmware like it recommended which failed and bricked my router.  I then installed the latest firmware 1.3.2.134 and found that 5Ghz was not working.  I then rolled back the firmware to 1.3.2.126 and it still does not work.  I had no problem prior to Netgear firmware upgrades not the 5Ghz does not work.  Coincidence?  Is my 5Ghz dead for ever?!  

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
Greenbean123
Aspirant

Re: R6900P 5Ghz dead after failed firmware upgrade

So I changed the channel on whim (never had to do this before) and it seems to work.  How do i know which channel to use for 5Ghz?  Why does it not just pick one like 2.4 Ghz?

Message 2 of 4
JonZ85
Aspirant

I was going to post something today about this.  My router was set to automatic updates and the firmware update happened.  All of a sudden, I was resetting my router every hour to every other hour because the 5GHz network was completely hosed.  Working from home, I cannot be resetting the router every hour and dropping video conference calls for work.  I have 50+ WiFi devices on my router between both networks and there is nothing worse than a half dozen Amazon devices yelling at me all at once that they cannot connect to the Internet.  I was able to fix everything this morning with the following steps:

1. Backed up the settings.
  2. Downgraded the firmware from 1.3.2.134 to 1.3.2.126.
  3. Rebooted the router.
  4. Restored the router to factory settings.
  5. Disabled automatic firmware updates and router analytics data collection.
  6. Rebooted the router.
  7. Went through the setup as a new router using the same names as before for my WiFi networks so all devices reconnected without issue.
  8. Backed up the settings.

Since about 8:00 AM this morning, I have yet to reboot my router once and all my devices have been connected to both networks all day.  I consider this resolved as the firmware update has an issue with the 5GHz network.  I will not allow automatic updates again, this was a headache all week.  I thought I needed a new router after only 13 months.

Message 3 of 4
chopper98
Aspirant

I had to roll back my firmware from 1.3.2.134 to 1.3.2.126. I also turned automatic updates off. On Wed. Jan. 20th at noon at WiFi starting dropping. It happened 3 times that day. This is a problem because I work from home. It increased in frequency Thursday and on Friday night, it would play the fire tv for about 5 to 15 minutes before dropping. On Saturday, we purchased a new router (same). On Sunday, we swapped out our Spectrum modem. A Spectrum tech came out for 4 days starting Monday until Thursday. Spectrum gave us a new modem to better match our 100 upload/10 download. WiFi worked fine until this past Thursday Feb. 4th. WiFi started dropping again. Spectrum's next thought after everything had been checked and maintenanced is that we're running out of bandwidth. I pull a lot of bandwidth for work. All of my calls are voice over internet and teams conference calls. On Friday, we picked up a new modem to match so we could increase our speed 400 download/20 upload. Still continued to drop. The only thing I could think of left is something was going on with the router specifically. Then I started reading about the firmware. I decided to roll it back since there was a release on Jan. 18th. Since rolling back, the WiFi hasn't dropped. However, the Amazon fire stick is rebooting about once new hour. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7