× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P Wi-Fi Crash w/ Lenovo T480

MHarrisEP
Initiate

R6900P Wi-Fi Crash w/ Lenovo T480

Hello,

I've been chasing a strange issue since I've been working from home in early March of this year.

The basic summary is; if my work laptop (Lenovo T480) is connected to my home Wi-Fi network, any other device being used on the Wi-Fi will cause a Wi-Fi crash.

For example, if I am using my work laptop on Wi-Fi, and someone else tries to watch YouTube on a smartphone on the Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi network will crash almost immediately.  It will come back up after a few moments, but will crash quickly again if the smartphone is still trying to stream YouTube.

If my work laptop is hardwired to the router, there are no issues.

If my work laptop is not connected to the Wi-Fi (after work hours, for example), there are no issues.  I can have two Xbox Ones playing Call of Duty online, with multiple smartphones connected to the network, streaming 4K video on the FireStick, etc.  My Wi-Fi network seems very robust as long as my work laptop is not involved.

But, when the work laptop is on the Wi-Fi, almost any other activity on the Wi-Fi at all will cause a crash.

Sometimes even my work laptop alone on the Wi-Fi will cause a crash, if I am in a work meeting with multiple people sharing screens and/or video.  I've observed this fairly regularly during the work day, where I keep all other devices (aside from mostly passive devices, such as my Ring doorbell, Ecobee thermostat, etc.) inactive on the Wi-Fi network other than my laptop.  But these crashed are much more intermittent and seemingly random.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6900P Wi-Fi Crash w/ Lenovo T480

You could try to adjust the wireless channels to see if that helps. Also, make sure mumimo is enabled 

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/Resolving-poor-5GHz-wireless-range-signal-from-my-NETGEAR-router

Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.

2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. Manage the WiFi Network Settings 145 Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R6900P A login window opens.

3. Enter the router user name and password. The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive. The BASIC Home page displays.

4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings. The Wireless Settings page displays.

5. Scroll down below the WPS Settings section and clear the Enable MU-MIMO check box.

6. Click the Apply button. Your settings are saved. If you connected over WiFi to the network, you are disconnected from the network and must reconnect.

Message 2 of 4
mlalkaka
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem with the Lenovo T480s and the Netgear R7000P router. How did you solve the problem? There is no "MU-MIMO" option in the router admin page when I followed the directions given by the moderator.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 4
MHarrisEP
Initiate

I just purchased a $15 USB WiFi adapter on Amazon to use on my Lenovo laptop.

So I disabled the OEM WiFi device in the laptop, and connect via the USB adapter instead. This solved my issue.

My assumption is the Lenovo wireless adapter was not playing nice with my network for some reason...
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7