R6900v2 and skybell

SMV1234
Aspirant

R6900v2 and skybell

I am having trouble with my skybell and hoping someone here can help. Although my issue is with Skybell, I believe this is a router issue. Please read my post fully. It is not off topic.

Issue: I have a skybell at home. I used to be able to view the live feed without any issues until a few months ago. Now, I can view the live feed on my chromebook and on wifi, but only at low resolution. On my android phone, I am unable to connect while on wifi (error: Stream could not be established), but able to connect when on data network. The video though is still only low resolution.

What I have tried so far: I've hard reset my skybell, reached out skybell support. They recommended setting a static ip from the app. I tried that and it didn't work. I tried setting a static IP from the router. Didn't work either. 

I have 2 different ssids for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Skybell is connected to the 2.4 GHz as required.

From this post, I understand a similar issue with a netgear router was resolved. Didn't help me though. I tried the below config while setting up the bell.

IP Address: 192.168.1.201
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1
DNS: 8.8.4.4

Anyone know what this issue is? One post seems to suggest that I remove the password on the router. I will try that, but really, that's a no-go as a solution.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: R6900v2 and skybell

Which skybell do you have? 

Something to keep in mind is that skybell is 2.4ghz only. 2.4ghz is more sensitive to interference and is a much slower standard. 

Have you tried changing wifi channels to one with less interference? 

What is the skybell mounted to and what is the exterior wall made of? certain materials such as brick, concrete, metal siding, adobe, plaster lathe all block wifi extremely well. 

How far from the router is the skybell? 

Has something changed in the layout of the home from when it was working?

It could be a combination of things between mounting location, obstructions, and interference. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> Arris W31 x2-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 12
SMV1234
Aspirant

I have the skybell trim plus. It is connected and will connect only to 2.4 GHz. It is mounted on my front door and has been there for a couple of years. It used to be just fine until a few months ago. The bandwidth is good. It's unlikely to be location because I brought the bell in and connected via usb to my chromebook to test. This was in the same room, about 15 ft from the router. Same issues as I mentioned in the original post.

I have set the router to autoselect the channel an I'm currently the only one on that channel.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

@SMV1234 wrote:

I have the skybell trim plus. It is connected and will connect only to 2.4 GHz. It is mounted on my front door and has been there for a couple of years. It used to be just fine until a few months ago. The bandwidth is good.

I have set the router to autoselect the channel an I'm currently the only one on that channel.

How do you know the bandwidth is good? 

Have you tried changing the channel? 

What modem is the router connected to? 

Message 4 of 12
SMV1234
Aspirant

I tested the bandwidth by using the nighthawk app and keep it right next to the bell. All doors that are usually closed, were left closed. I got an upload of 6MBPS.

I did see an very low upload speed when I checked after you asked. about .7 MBPS. Had to reset my router to factory settings. Not sure which of my changes impacted bandwidth. But, I have 6MBPS right now and I still can't connect to my phone on WIFI only. Works just fine on data network. Chromebook is okay on WIFI. 

It can't be the router because chromebook skybell app works on wifi. It can't be the phone because the skybell app works on data network. I'm confused.

My 2.4GHz is on a channel by itself. with "best" clarity. Not sure why changing channels would help. 

I have my own modem Surfboard 6183.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

so you tried changing dns providers? 

What modem are you using? 

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

sorry, missed you have the 6183. Is it the sb6183?

Message 7 of 12
SMV1234
Aspirant

Yes - sb6183

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

A couple things you can try. 

1. Change the dns provider.

2. Try hotspotting a phone to connect the camera to temporaritly. See if you can connect if its connected through a phones hotspot. (simply shut off the router and name the phone's hotspot with the same ssid/password and it should auto-connect)

Message 9 of 12
SMV1234
Aspirant

1. Changed DNS provider to OpenDNS.. same issue - "stream could not be established".

2. Also tried the hotspot. Video streamed fine.

It does point to something that the router is doing or not doing. Also since it was working consistently months ago, maybe it has something to do with a firmware update?

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

di you try a factory reset? 

Message 11 of 12
SMV1234
Aspirant

Yes, but what I've not tried yet is connect the bell with default settings. I'll try that this week.. but I can't leave it on default.. I have only changed the ssid and password. Everything is the factory settings. The other part refers to removing the password completely. I'll try that too.. but that's definitely a no go solution
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements