Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900v2 fails IMAP connection

erikfjer
Aspirant

R6900v2 fails IMAP connection

R6900v2 fails to support an IMAP connect via port 993 for SSL.  Upgraded to latest firmware (V1.2.0.92_1.0.1).  When setting up an email account, the SMTP works fine (port 465) but the IMAP (port 993) won't connect.  Bypassing the router (connecting the pc directly to the cable modem) enables all to work.  Same thing with a cellphone using Samsung's email client - won't work with the router's wifi but turning off the wifi and going direct to Verizon's LTE service it works. 

How does one enable this port 993 IMAP function on this router?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R6900v2 fails IMAP connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 8
erikfjer
Aspirant

As I stated, the R6900v2 firmware is V1.2.0.92_1.0.1

The cable modem is MOTOROLA 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

The router would not be blocking IMAP connections. 

I would check the IMAP configuration on your PC. Contact the IMAP or mail service provider for there help and information regarding any IMAP configurations needed on the PC or mail program. 

Message 4 of 8
erikfjer
Aspirant

I performed a factory reset of the router and retested with same results, however, the problem is more nuanced than previously understood..

I use Thunderbird for gmail and it is an IMAP connection, that works just fine through the R6900v2 router.  When I either use the Windows email utility, or Thunderbird, for my other email address (domain eaa81.org) with IMAP it fails when through the router.  When bypassing the router, this other email address, whether POP or IMAP works fine.  One thing that is unique about this other email address is that the server names for IMAP, POP, and SMTP are the same, i.e., there is no prefix, unlike usual servers that typically use imap or smtp as a prefix for the server name.  What in the router could be interfering with the IMAP connection using eaa81.org as the server, when POP works fine through the router, and both POP and IMAP work when the router is bypassed?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Might ask the host support for this one email domain to see if there is any special configurations needed for this one email domain. 

What happens if you put your PC with this domain email service on it in to the routers DMZ temporarily, reboot the modem, and router and then check? 

Message 6 of 8
erikfjer
Aspirant

Configured the PC with hardwired connection as DMZ, rebooted modem and router, confirmed PC using the DMZ ip address, no joy.  Same funcationality, my IMAP gmail works fine, the IMAP for eaa81.org does not work.  The SMTP and POP for eaa81 still work.  Direct connecting (removing the router) everything works (IMAP, SMTP, POP).

I will make an inquiry of the ISP, but this is clearly something caused by the router.

Erik

Message 7 of 8
erikfjer
Aspirant

Spoke with ISP support people, and problem was IP addresses through router to mail server were blocked due to repeated login attempts from several of my pc's attempting to setup thunderbird. Tbird now has 5 options for authentication and even the ISP person couldn't figure it out. I bypassed the router and used a simple windows client that correctly configured and everything worked. Then connecting through the router failed because of the blocked IP. Once the ISP tech whitelisted my IP (assigned through the router), then IMAP worked with or without the router. Problem solved.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7