Guide

R7000 1.0.6 - They should call this the Nightmare WiFi Router, are firmware updates always this bad?

I upgraded from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 and was greeted with some annoying issues. I was able to get back into the web GUI and upgraded to 1.0.6 then reset the router and configured everything manually. Now I can't get into the web GUI at all, some of my LAN devices are randomly failing to getting IPs, wireless devices can't rejoin the network after leaving the house and coming back.

Are firmware updates from Netgear always this bad? 

I was pretty happy with my Netgear products, I have this Nighthawk R700, a ReadyNAS, and a Netgear switch. This makes me want to just ditch Netgear. I can't believe that they don't seem to test their firmware before releasing it.

NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7000 1.0.6 - They should call this the Nightmare WiFi Router, are firmware updates always this

[ Edited ]

If the issues you describe had appeared during testing then the firmware would not have been released, the issue does not appear to be prevalent.

Can you post some details of your setup please, in particular the manufacturer and model number of your modem?

When you say that some devices are randomly failing to obtain IP addresses, is this wire/wireless/both? Does the same device sometimes get IP data but at other times fail or is the randomness between devices?

Re: R7000 1.0.6 - They should call this the Nightmare WiFi Router, are firmware updates always this

What modem are you using? Is it possible it's a modem/router combo? Nitgear has added some in my opinion VERY confusing automated functions that will change lan IP to 10.0.0.1 if it sees another router in the network.

Apprentice

Why is that confusing? To me it seems very appropriate and adequate...... It is the 'smart' router function. And I am absolutely very happy with it!

Luminary

Coming from linksys to netgear, same story: fw updates are great to break things.

This is my first Netgear router, and maybe the last if I end up seeing they do the same as linksys with fw updates.

I already posted in the 1.0.6 firmware thread about the p2p performances, tested during 2 days, different clients, different trackers with 1.0.6 and 1.0.4. It is a disaster and useless. Only a reboot fixes it for a few hours before it needs another reboot because of falling speeds. And yes, port forwarding was reconfigured as documented in the changes notes.

1.0.4 has no issues even after a few days online

In any case, unless there are important security fixes, no reason to update if it works.

PS: on the other hand, I am very pleased with the support in their switches and NAS.

Tutor

I also face problems with installed 1.0.6 firmware. My ATAG One thermostat refuses to get connected via Wifi and doesn't receive an IP address. And also some other mobile devices have problems connecting in one time. In total I've around 25 devices in my home network. Wired equipment does connect, wireless audio speakers do connect, but especially thermostat, printer and some mobiles have problems connecting to 2.4G band. 

I unchecked the Arlo network option. I've tried to address reservation for my thermostat but also didn't work out. I'm rather experienced with this stuff but spent a lot of useless time now with this crappy firmware. Very dissatisfying from Netgear! Don't upgrade is my advice.

Guide

There are the instructions that I followed for my Arris modem from Uverse.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734

It doesnt have options for a true bridge mode, IP-Passthrough is the closest it comes to that, and it does assign the WAN IP to my router.

Aspirant

I also wonder how this firmware update was released. Update my R7000 from 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 and most of the devices were unable to connect with authentication error. They were able to connect to guest wifi.

I am/was so happy with NetGear R7000 (recommended and forced my friends to buy) but lost confidence  after this firmware upgrade.

Sensei

You should perform a factory reset.  I really don't know why Netgear didn't recommend this in the Release Notes.  It's quite evident that 1.0.6 is incompatible with the configuration settings from 1.0.4 and earlier.

If you can log into the router, go to ADVANCED > Adminisration > Backup Settings > Erase.  Alternatively, push and hold the reset button until all of the LEDs flash off and on. 

Wait for the router to reboot and reconfigure by hand.  Do not reload settings from a backup file saved with 1.0.4.

Aspirant

I updated to 1.0.6 and also faced the same issues with older devices such as iphone4s and canon wireless printers not able to acquire an IP address and connect to 2.4ghz network.   The 5ghz wifi was fine.   I had to downgrade to 1.0.5 to get Smart Connect working again.

Sensei

jcbarril wrote:

I updated to 1.0.6 and also faced the same issues with older devices such as iphone4s and canon wireless printers not able to acquire an IP address and connect to 2.4ghz network.   The 5ghz wifi was fine.   I had to downgrade to 1.0.5 to get Smart Connect working again.

Did you try performing a factory reset while you were on 1.0.6?

Apprentice

[ Edited ]

Greetings Gents,

We're all here to help on another, but there is no need to update firmware unless:

It addresses a specific issue you are experiencing

Provides improved compatibility, or major performance enhancements over what you have currently

Addresses a security flaw you'd be remiss ignoring

Otherwise, the shipping FW is usually ok.

In case any of you have tried to restore a saved .cfg from an earlier version to a newer FW revision, this will not work, and almost always introduces problems into your environment as The Ether points out.  A factory reset is aslo recommended. 

I've used products from both manufacturers over the years.  Linksys has been around a little longer, but doen't have an industry advantage on a consumer level.  Both have released good products, both have had their share of up's and downs.  The grass isn't greener on either side.  I personally prefer netgear consumer and pro-safe offerings to Linksys.  In my experience they have consistently been more reliable.  Professionally, we are a Cisco shop, however, we were Netgear for many years and they always got the job done.  My R7000 has been one of the best routers I've ever owned.  Stable and extremely reliable.  You can see I haven't upgraded for quite a while.  I haven't needed to.  Just consider this before pulling the trigger to upgrade.     

~R7000 1.0.7.6_1.1.99
~R6400 1.0.0.26_1.0.14
~WNDR 4500 v2_1.0.0.60
Aspirant

[ Edited ]

Same results here.  I've been doing the updates for over a year without any need to reset. The previous update (1.05) I replaced the port forward rules as directed, and no issues. This 1.0.6 is nothing short of chaos. I factory reset the router with a paperclip but my 2.4ghz clients would not connect. 5ghz clients seemed fine. I played with it for a while and ultimately backed it out and went back to 1.0.5 and I imported my settings backup file, all is well.  I had no specific need for 1.0.6 I'm just one of those that likes the latest firmware.  I'm sure for many of you it worked perfectly.

Aspirant

After rey update to 1.06 I faced issues with slow download speeds. This after I did a factory reset and entered details by hand.
Apprentice

I have to agree with those who have problems that it is a bit ridiculous to be forced to reset your router after a firmware update. And  not being able to use the backup of your settings is more than a little ridiculous...

However when you do it and everything works... You'll be..... uhm .... possibly still wondering why you had to do it and still not in a state of enlightenment....

But if you did all of that and your divices still won't work... there may be another little trick. Just try to reset one of your devices to see if that brings back your connection. I am happy that most of my devices did not show any problem and just worked on the new firmware. However my iPhone showed problems. For some reason it drained it's battery very fast looking over and over again for WiFi locations while using GPS. After I had reset my iPhone networks settings it now works well.

But if you have a lot of devices, you may start to get a little anoyed by now...

Luminary

It does not take that long, some Asus firmware requires factory reset and the same manual restore as Netgear, the reason is these routers are now very complex and restoring a backup file from a previous firmware could bring incompatibilities in settings, from the last version. that are beyond just your own entries.
Virtuoso

As a software engineer myself, I am somewhat disappointed that Netgear cannot handle this better. It is not hard to design into the firmware the ability to keep settings sane when switching versions. It just takes some good design practices.

The same applies to backup files, this could have been designed in such a way as to be immune to firmware version changes, in fact basic settings could even be translated between router models, it just seems they chose to do it in a quick and dirty way.

Luminary

[ Edited ]

As I said earlier Asus and other router manufacturers gets you to do the same with some of their updates, as routers have got more like small pc's this feature has become needed sadly. TBH if you have all the settings in a text file it does not take long to copy and paste them to the routers GUI. Seriously how long does it take to get up and running.

Aspirant

I went from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5 and got hit. I had to fall back to 1.0.4 and things have been fine since then. I am waiting for a stable release before doing any further update on my R7000.

Despite the problems in the current release, the R7000 has been reliable and one of the best routers I used. I have recommended it to some people. I hope Netgear could come up with a stable release soon. I don't mind if I have to re-enter all settings if that is the way to make the R7000 work properly again.

Apprentice

I have been stable and my R7000 was reliable from the first time I updated to this new firmware. My router is faster and due to Smart-WiFi all my devices can communicate with each other. If you encounter problems I am really thinking that this is caused by something else than the firmware. But I must be carefull with such a statement because different cofigurations can come up with different bugs. Even in this, in my eyes, good firmware..... ( 1.0.6 )

Guide

Regarding the above comment, "If you encounter problems I am really thinking that this is caused by something else than the firmware."

If that's the case, then why has Netgear as of today 2/13/16, officially pulled / deleted / removed / all of the version 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 firmware download files for the Nighthawk R7000?

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion if I'm running 1.0.6 then should I revert back to 1.0.4 just in case Netgear found some serious flaw, such as security-related backdoor or some such?

Apprentice

That is a very good question! Did you ask Netgear already?

Luminary

[ Edited ]

It was pulled as the prior one was as well because of the number of complaints with bugs with it supposedly. If its working with no issue for you I was told to you could keep using it. Ironically 1.0.4.30 has the readyshare print vulnerability.

NETGEAR Moderator

Hi blogthis,

The firmwares was pulled out due to some reported issues found on it. If you have not experienced any issues with the latest firmware, then you may continue using it. For security flaw, no issue found or even reported.

Luminary

so when do we get a fixed firmware? I'm not happy running on 1.0.4.30 as I miss some of the new features 1.0.6.28 brought, and its IPV6 was fractionally better than 1.0.4.30 too, which isn't saying much.
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors