Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 2.4GHz signal is always stronger than 5GHz

hspatz
Aspirant

R7000 2.4GHz signal is always stronger than 5GHz

I'd appreciate any insights as to why my 5GHz signal is always slower than my 2.4 GHz signal. I have the most recent updates and firmware but this situation has been consistent since day 1. Thanks.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
avtella
Prodigy

Re: R7000 2.4GHz signal is always stronger than 5GHz

Signal wise 2.4 GHz will be better because it not only has greater range but can also penetrate obstacles better than 5 GHz. This will be the same regardless of brand or model.

In terms of actual throughput though 5 GHz will be much faster at similar ranges when compared to 2.4 GHz.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@hspatz wrote:

I'd appreciate any insights as to why my 5GHz signal is always slower than my 2.4 GHz signal. I have the most recent updates and firmware but this situation has been consistent since day 1. Thanks.

Subject says 'stronger', contents says 'slower'? Which is it, they are NOT the same?

I'll assume slower, but with out some MAJOR details, it is hard to speculate or assist.

On top of that, subject says 'R7000', but your footer says 'A7000'? One is a router, the other a network adapter.

If you really meant A7000, that is covered in another forum, click on Commity on top menu, click on HOME, and then NETWORK ADAPTER and post in there.

In any case, if it is a router problem and you continue here, or a network card and you go over there, some basic information is required.

In the case of the router, the firmware version and if this is a 'new' problem with it?

In all cases, specific data.

How the speed was determined? What test site was used?

Do you have a modem ALSO putting out a wireless signal?

Did you try different channels?

The device connected to the SSID?

Is Smart Connect enabled?

Is QoS enabled?

ISP speed...

and anything else one should know?

Message 2 of 4
avtella
Prodigy

Signal wise 2.4 GHz will be better because it not only has greater range but can also penetrate obstacles better than 5 GHz. This will be the same regardless of brand or model.

In terms of actual throughput though 5 GHz will be much faster at similar ranges when compared to 2.4 GHz.
Message 3 of 4
hspatz
Aspirant

Thank you very much. Networking has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Your answer was just what I needed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7