Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

david-net
Aspirant

Try to set region to EU in wireless settings. This fix the problem for me. But yes, it's a workaround....
Message 26 of 426
mvwcjfg
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. 5G is okay but 2.4 will not connect. Tried to change the wireless channel to EU, but the North America is grayed out and will not let me select anything else. Problem started today right after upgrading firmware to V1.0.6.28_1.1.83. Tried reverting to the previous version, but have the same problem. Need to wait for Netgear to fix the bug?

Message 27 of 426
TheEther
Guru

Factory reset your router, folks.
Message 28 of 426
mvwcjfg
Aspirant

That worked. Thank you.

Message 29 of 426
ghurlebaus
Aspirant

Things were working fine, but thought I would install the latest updates.  Big mistake, now I have the same problem where 5G is working fine but 2.4G is not.  I'll wait a week for a fix before returning the router.

Message 30 of 426
TheEther
Guru

@ghurlebaus wrote:

Things were working fine, but thought I would install the latest updates.  Big mistake, now I have the same problem where 5G is working fine but 2.4G is not.  I'll wait a week for a fix before returning the router.

Did you try the factory reset as I suggested two posts above?

Message 31 of 426
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

1. What are the devices that cannot connect to 2.4Ghz?(Brand,model,Operating System)

2. Have you tried changing the channel to auto or assigned channel?

Message 32 of 426
h_smith
Guide

Ever since installing R7000-V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and then R7000-V1.0.6.28_1.1.83, I have been having reliability issues with my Samesung S5 and my Windows 7 machine with a Realtek 8812AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC.

I have given up and gone back to R7000_V1.0.4.30_1.1.67. It appears that something bad happened at R7000-V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and it carried on to R7000-V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.

It is not that devices do not connect, it is that data is being dropped somewhere.

I never had a problem with either of these devices prior to that update.

Message 33 of 426
TheEther
Guru

@h_smith wrote:

Ever since installing R7000-V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and then R7000-V1.0.6.28_1.1.83, I have been having reliability issues with my Samesung S5 and my Windows 7 machine with a Realtek 8812AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC.

I have given up and gone back to R7000_V1.0.4.30_1.1.67. It appears that something bad happened at R7000-V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and it carried on to R7000-V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.

It is not that devices do not connect, it is that data is being dropped somewhere.

I never had a problem with either of these devices prior to that update.

It's absolutely a must to do a factory reset after upgrading from 1.0.4.X to either 1.0.5.48 or 1.0.6.28.  Do not restore settings from a backed up configuration file because that will undo the factory reset.  Re-enter settings by hand.

Message 34 of 426
h_smith
Guide

Thanks for the tip.

Message 35 of 426
stuckincube
Apprentice

I had the wireless fail on my last week.  I did a factory reset by holding the button on the back; and then manually entered all the settings again.

This morning the 2.4g wireless failed again.  Devices see the SSID, but just can't connect.  Turning the router off and then back on fixes the problem.  But there is definitely an issue with the firmware (I'm using V1.0.6.28_1.1.83).

Message 36 of 426
scornell2288
Guide

Same here, I am on V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 and no devices, iphones, ipad, laptop, chromebook, printers, 3dsXL, PS3, Xbox One. I tested everything they all fail when any auth method is used, I tested each chanel. Nothing works. I have to setup a guest network allow it to share my network and enable it for only 2.4 then I can connect to it using wpa2 and all of the other methods. 

Message 37 of 426
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same problem here: 5GHz works perfectly fine, 2.4GHz doesn't. I try to roll back to the 1.0.4 firmware, and had the same issue, I then factory-reset the router, and re-entered the configuration by hand, it worked for a while, but the next day 2.4GHz devices were unable to connect again.

Message 38 of 426
stuckincube
Apprentice

2.4G failed twice today for me.  Problem seems to be getting worse.  WTF.  This router was perfect until recently.  ARG!

Message 39 of 426
daywood
Tutor

Thanks for the tip about re-entering everything by hand. I appreciate you pointing that out, and I'll do it if I have to, but we shouldn't have to accept that as a solution. They clearly broke something here, and a configuration restore should not break it again. It should only be restoring settings like the network names, passwords, channels, etc., which were fine all along and didn't cause the problem. So whatever they broke also exposed a problem in their configuration restore process.

Message 40 of 426
daywood
Tutor

Hi James. I only think this would be worth pursuing if I suddenly had one device that wouldn't connect anymore. But nothing from a large variety of devices will connect to the primary 2.4 GHz network anymore, no matter which channel I try.  

Message 41 of 426
oertje
Aspirant

All my devices on 2.4ghz do not work, hope there will be a solution quick

Message 42 of 426
howzatar
Aspirant

I'm glad to find I'm not the only one with this variation of problem.  I thought it was weird that the gues 2.4 ghz works but the the primary one does not.  Everything can see the primary 2.4 ghz, but nothing connects to it.  The 5 ghz works fine, but not all of our devices are capable of connecting to the 5 ghz.  Other than that, I seem to be limited to only 8 wireless devices.  I'm still trying to find a way around that one.

Message 43 of 426
ellave
Aspirant

Edit - OK appear to have fixed it, I have something call Negear Arlo (wtf that is) anyway I disabled it & its working again

Another affected user here, upgraded firmware yesterday, now nothing can connect to the 2,4 Iphone, Andriod phones & tablets & windows PC.

Come on Netgear admit you have a problem please & issue a fix

Message 44 of 426
home_user
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. 5G is okay but 2.4G will not connect. Tried to change the wireless channel to EU, but the North America option is grayed out and will not allow me to make a different selection. Problem started today, immediately after upgrading firmware to V1.0.6.28_1.1.83. Tried reverting to the previous version, but have the same problem. Need to wait for Netgear to fix the bug?

Message 45 of 426
TheEther
Guru

@home_user wrote:

I am having the same issue. 5G is okay but 2.4G will not connect. Tried to change the wireless channel to EU, but the North America option is grayed out and will not allow me to make a different selection. Problem started today, immediately after upgrading firmware to V1.0.6.28_1.1.83. Tried reverting to the previous version, but have the same problem. Need to wait for Netgear to fix the bug?

No.  You need to do a factory reset.  See my post earlier above.

Message 46 of 426
bjtech
Tutor

A factory reset and manual settings re-entry does work.  Mine's been running smooth since I did it over a week ago.  Had the same initial symptoms, primary 2.4 wouldn't allow devices to connect, 2.4 guest and 5 both worked fine.

It's a real PITA, but I screen shot every page in "Advanced" settings (or you could take pics with your phone).  Then reloaded defaults and manually re-entered all settings.  For some, this might be an easy fix.  For me, I have about 20 DHCP Reservations, 7 Port Forwards, and some security settings for my cameras that I had to re-enter.  Took me about 25 minutes to reconfigure.  Couldn't afford to wait, some of those devices are WiFi thermostats.

Message 47 of 426
Summukhe
Aspirant

whats more strange is that if you do not keep any passowrd for the 2.4 ghz band, the router works fine. the moment u put a passowrd to its ssid, the connection to the internet would just not happen

Message 48 of 426
oertje
Aspirant

Thanx for the help, reset had result, but pfff all PF and other things must set. I have my modem in bridge, so I had 2 hours work.

Message 49 of 426
daywood
Tutor

I decided not to do the factory reset just now. Not only do I not want to re-enter everything, I don't want to go back to the original firmware version. I'm assuming that if I do the reset, re-enter all of my configuration, and then upgrade the firmware to the latest version, I'll be right back to the problem I was having. As it is now I have one working 2.4 GHz network (guest) and working 5G networks, so I would like to avoid going back to an earlier firware level where I had nothing but trouble with my router-attached hard drive. It has finally become reliable with later firmware upgrades. So I'm going to hang on for a while and see if Netgear owns up to the problem and issues a new firmware level with a fix, or at least assures us that doing a factory reset and then upgrading to a new level won't break the 2.4 GHz network again. Are you out there Netgear? Show yourself!

Message 50 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7