Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

KazzMANIA
Apprentice

I just called support again.  They do not have this issue in their first-tier support database.  They got me to use channel 11 (already tried - no change in result),  and had me change fragmentation length and CTS/RTS thresholds each to 2304 (have not tried yet)  and the  reboot router.  It worked (but rebooting router always gets 2.4 back up).  Said he will make notes but cannot escalate issue unless it happens again.  Usually takes 4 to 36 hours for 2.4 to fail so I should know in next two days if this change solves the issue (very doubtful)  or has me sending this router back.  I'll let you all know either way.  

Message 76 of 426
JamesGL
Master

Hi KazzMANIA,

Please check your inbox.

Message 77 of 426
Kernald
Guide

Hi @JamesGL,

Having the same problem for a while now (and not being the only one here), it would be nice of you to share all the information you have publicaly on this thread, if that can help anyone, or even help anyone help you.

Thanks

Message 78 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

So, after I made the changes to the router settings described in my previous post, the the 2.4Ghz remained perfectly reliable and ran without incident for 30 hours. However, shortly after I made the changes, I noticed that the my netflix was buffering a lot more than usual. I have a 50 megabit ISP that can peak at 70 megabits so I knew something was up. I used speedtest - ran it about 30 times from two different PCs on my network (using Ethernet connection) and on several wifi devices connected via 2.4 and 5Ghz. If you can believe, the wireless results were between 45 and 50Mbts on 5Ghz and about 20Mbts on 2.4, which is expected. However, my ethernet connections all tested at 0.2 to 1.4Mbts - WAYYYYY slower than it should be. I bypassed the router and went direct into modem - got to 48Mbits minimum speed and bursted well of 50. Ran about 20 tests over an hour and tried hitting different servers: exerienced some variability but very little and all within expectation. I connected router (without rebooting) and went back down to about .02Megabits. OUCH. Rebooted router and modem. Ran tests again. Exact same. I undid the settings I changed (described in last post), rebooted router and modem. I recovered my performance in LAN but the 2.4Ghz modem fell off again. I called support, we spent 2 hours running every conceivable test and, in the end, they decided that there was a problem with the router. Durring this period, my first teir tech was talking with his backup support (teir 2) and he told me that this router might suffer from being made with parts that did not meet design specifications. He offered RMA. I went to Best Buy and bought another identical router (original was purchased from Amazon). Plugged it in yesterday, configured it exactly as I had originally with the first router (nothing fancy), ran two hours of tests. It was perfectly stable and FAST and has been running without issue for about 40 hours now. The model numbersare identical on the two routers but one I had all the trouble with has a serial number starting 44475B and the new one from Best buy (and that works perfectly) is 44475C, suggesting that it was made at a later date and therefore might benefit from containing different components or at least same components from a different batch. Therefore, I conclude that what the support rep told me is likely true: some of these models include parts that function but which do not meet design specs and, the result of this is that the router manifests easily producable and unexpected issues not usually identifiable until the modem is deployed and the issues cause noticible trouble. Lots of people might not have even bothered to test the speed of their modem and, if they had, they might have assumed it was the ISP. Now that I have a fully functional version of this router I am both happy and impressed. Too bad I had to outlay so much more money for the replacement and also had to spend about 40 hours over 9 days and talk to four different support reps to learn the truth of the matter. On the plus side, I found netgear support easy to access and seemed committed to heping me resolve the issue.

Message 79 of 426
Kernald
Guide

Well then, I guess mine will go in for an RMA too. Thanks for your time!

Message 80 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

Just out of curiosity, what are first 6 digits of your serial number (starts 444)?
Message 81 of 426
Kernald
Guide

Well, I don't have any 444 in my serial number. I bought it in France, if it matters. First six characters are 3LL142.

Message 82 of 426

Sounds like a broken record, but same problem 5ghz and 2.4guest work fine but 2.4ghz does not work since upgrading firmware to v1.0.6.28 today.  Plan to do the factory reset per TheEther.  However, KazzMania's post is a headsup to getting in the RMA line.  Thanks for starting this thread ... thought I was the only one with an exotic issue that no one had ever encountered ... glad to have found this.  

Message 83 of 426

Update ... spent much of the afternoon doing a Factory Reset and reloading settings.  IT WORKED!  Wireless devices can now access 2.4ghz.  Thanks, TheEther.

Message 84 of 426
stuckincube
Apprentice

Factory reset only temporarily fixes the 2.4G wifi, the problem isn't fixed.  You can also temporarily fix the 2.4G by enabling and disabling the wifi using the button on the router.

Message 85 of 426
fenomatik
Aspirant

I have tried downgrading to all old firmwares plus a hard rest but 2.4ghz doesn't let my devces to connect .upgraded to latest firmware as well but no use . with the old firmwares 2.4 goes completely offline .
Also why its broadcasting arlo network ? Also tried to disable arlo broadcast but didn't solve the problem.
Message 86 of 426
fenomatik
Aspirant

Message 87 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

Hate to say it fellows but this is not likely a firmware issue. You need to get a more recent version via RMA.
Message 88 of 426
Kernald
Guide

And good luck contacting the support. I had a ton of stupid questions like what is my ISP, having mentionned the fact that the issue already appears in a local-only network, and linked that very topic… Three days after that first contact, I'm still answering that kind of questions, without any real progress.

Message 89 of 426
tn77
Star

It's time for everyone to start tweeting to them:

https://twitter.com/NETGEAR

Public shaming is often the one way to get a response to something like this.

Message 90 of 426
hbost
Aspirant

Doh!  I least you all read this forum before I did.  I had the same2.4ghz issue after firmware update.  I have the R7000 router and 6200 extender setup.  Thought maybe the 2.4 radio was going bad in my extender.   Did all the factory resets and such but didn't matter.  So I bought a new ex7000 extender and installed yesterday.  Guess what?  Still have the 2.4 problem today!  And i'm down $150 bucks.

Message 91 of 426
stuckincube
Apprentice

@KazzMANIA wrote:
Hate to say it fellows but this is not likely a firmware issue. You need to get a more recent version via RMA.

I'm not sure about that; many ran this router for a long time without issues until recently.  The problem seemed to start with the change of firmware; even though others report downgrading firmware doesn't fix the issue.

Let's hope Netgear fixes this very soon!

Message 92 of 426
Kernald
Guide

As downgrading the firmware doesn't help, I can see two obvious possibilities:

• a firmware (probably 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 regarding the date they were published) broke some component (or at least a specific variant used in some R7000 batches),
  • a component used in some R7000 batches has a limited life duration (manufacturing problem happens), that we reached

The fact that flashing an old firmware doesn't solve the issue, coupled with the fact that many R7000 broke at pretty much the same time is clearly disturbing.

Message 93 of 426
Kang2
Aspirant

I had this problem after installing 1.0.6.28 and I fixed it by wiping the settings and going back to to 1.0.5.48. 

I NEVER had this problem (router is 2 years old) until I installed 1.0.6.28 and yes I wiped the settings before and even after installing the new firmware.

Message 94 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

How long ago did you roll back? Has is been completely stable?
Message 95 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

HORRIBLE NEWS! Yesterday my 2.4ghz dropped on the new R7000 after running two days without issue. I rebooted the router and, as in the past, the problem was resolved. Today it failed again, exactly as before. So, this brand new router with a much newer serial number than my first router has same problems. I just finished rolling back to 1.0.4.28_1.1.64. I will report any problems
Message 96 of 426
tn77
Star

Seriously, it's time to start tweeting to Netgear. I've also written to the CEO.

Message 97 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

I'm in. I'll start tonight
Message 98 of 426
schneidernet
Aspirant

Ouch!  Was that painful!  23 devices that had to be setup again.  Took one day to figure out what happened and another to get most back online.  Many not easy like cameras that must be dismounted and taken to a PC to determine the new IP address.

I'll never push the Update button again and probably never buy Netgear again.  Shame on them.  Can't imagine what happened to businesses that put their trust in them.

Message 99 of 426
Le-Blanc
Initiate

I seam to have the same problem but only when I activate the guest network on the 2,4 Ghz band. When the guest network is off and rebooted everything seams to work fine.

Message 100 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7