Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

jblackst2800
Tutor

Hello,

rpoffen has stated that Netgear is working on a fix for v 1.0.6.28 and should be out in a couple of weeks. Netgear tech support told me to go back to v 1.0.5.48 until they had a fix for the latest version. My

R7000 is working fine now that I rolled back my firmware V.

Jim

Message 201 of 426
Hajster
Aspirant

@Nifer, thanks for keeping us posted on this fix.  I'd recommend one other thing:  since so many of us only upgraded our firmware due to the multiple email messages received from Netgear, it would be a good public relations move to send out another email with apology for the mistake.  This should be followed by notification of the fix as soon as available.

I've been happy enough with Netgear routers over the years that I'm willing to wait for the fix since I've stabilized using 1.4.30 release.  Many others might not be so inclined unless Netgear takes positive steps to acknowledge the frustration they've caused so many people.  Customer service is the only way to keep long-term customers when problems arise.  Your marketing team should be working on this message just as hard as they worked to push the Arlo architecture out to all of us unsuspecting users.

Message 202 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Jblackst2800, I'm happy to hear that the earlier version of firmware is working for you.

Hajster, I think you have a good point. I'm checking with marketing regarding how best to communicate this, as well as evaluating how to prevent this from happening again, 

I just received an update from QA a couple of hours ago. This past weekend's testing proceeded uneventfully, with no issues found to date, increasing my hope that we can release updated firmware by the end of this week.

Again, thanks to you all for your patience and assistance.

Message 203 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi Stuckincube, yes. We have changed both our functional testing and QA testing.  I spent nine years as an R&D engineer with NETGEAR before moving to support, so I agree with and appreciate your systematic approach to testing.

Message 204 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

A few of you have been willing to test the release candidate firmware and I think we've provided it to all who are interested. We hope to complete the QA in the next few days and have the production version available soon. If there is anyone else who would like to test this version of firmware, you may download it here:  http://files.netgear-support.com/go/index.php?action=d&step=3

Please note that release candidate (beta) firmware is not final firmware and may contain bugs.

if you download the firmware, please share your experience on this thread or send me a private message, so that we can all benefit.

Thank you again for your patience!

Message 205 of 426
david-net
Aspirant

I can't log in with my username (or email) and password used for this forum at the link you provided to test the beta firmware....

Message 206 of 426
houseofbugs
Tutor

Same here. I can't download the file either.

Message 207 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Okay, thanks for the feedback, I have someone checking on the link. I'm sorry this isn't working correctly and hope to have it resolved promptly. Thanks!
Message 208 of 426
jdoncarlos
Guide

Hi Nifer,

I had previously volunteered to test the release candidate but did not feel it was reasonable to require me to sign a legal document to do so.  So, I am glad you posted a link directly to the software - unfortunately my netgear signin does not work for that link.  

I completely agree with Hajster that Netgear needs to clear this up with a notice and appology to all, including me, that received the admonition from Netgear to upgrade.  I would add that Netgear should be less harsh in rejecting requests for support - my request was 92 days after purchase and it was flat rejected unless I paid additional.  I then had to find this message string by myself.  Leaves a bad tase.

Message 209 of 426
h_smith
Guide

I also cannot log in to download the firmware using the above posted link.

Message 210 of 426
jblackst2800
Tutor

Hi jdoncarlus,

My feelings exactly. I actually received two e-mails from Netgear telling me how important it was to upgrade my R7000 router to the new firmware. I did so and that is when my 2.4ghz stopped working. I also called Netgear support and since my router was 120 days old they would not offer any phone support unless I paid a fee for that. I eventually convinced them that since the reason I am having this problem is not something I did but rather Negear released a firmware release that was buggy. I was then in contact with a tier 2 tech support tchnician and he just asked me to go back to the previous firmware. After I did that everything worked again. It does sound like Nifer from Netgear is trying to help us all resolve this problem. I certainly do not plan on doing any future firmware upgrades until I hear from this forum that it is working properly. Thanks again for Nifer's help and everyone on this forum working together on this problem.

Jim

Message 211 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

I am very sorry that the link I provided previously didn't work. To resolve the download difficult py, we moved the firmware from our website into Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/gff35js08j6nzof/R7000-V1.0.6.40_1.1.90.chk?dl=0

Please let me know if you can't access the firmware at this link.

We had hoped to provide production firmware yesterday, but have delayed for another week. The release candidate, which is the same firmware in Dropbox, has successfully passed our QA tests. However, our software engineers have asked for a few more days of testing.

The feedback has been positive from those of you who have kindly tested. But we have difficulty repeatedly inducing this problem in our lab, so it's hard to confirm that this fix will resolve all the issues you've experienced.

We feel badly that we inconvenienced everyone with the previous version of firmware, so we want to take a little more time to confirm that this latest firmware truly fixes the problem. I apologize for the delay.

Thank you again for your patience and your invaluable feedback and help resolving this issue.

Message 212 of 426
jdoncarlos
Guide

Nifer,

I just downloaded and installed the firmware from the dropbox link that you supplied - and - 2.4GHz wireless now appears to be working again!!  I did not do a factory reset but will if it seems to be needed.

Security fixes are super important these days and I commend Netgear for keeping our firmware up to date (I hope).  Netgear is not the cheapest router - customers should expect several years of good performance and up-to-date security patches.  The 90 day Netgear support is pretty unfriedly - perhaps there should be an option for support when important features of the router fail after installing a firmware update.  

I really appreciate your help,

Message 213 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

I had the 2.4 GH problem downgraded and did the factory reset. Now the router just frequently stops all Wi Fi and needs to power cycle often. it also will not let you log in until this recycle is performed. Called customer support will not do anything unless I pay $139. Considering just buying another router.

Message 214 of 426
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Is the router under warranty? If so, and it turns out that the HW is faulty, then you won't be charged.

Message 215 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

No. The router was operating perfectly until I upgraded firmware as suggested in the email.

Message 216 of 426
david-net
Aspirant

What fw did you downgrade to?
Message 217 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

4..30 the now newest on the site.

Message 218 of 426
david-net
Aspirant

Try the 4.0.28 and see what happens... 4.0.28 is stable for me.
Message 219 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

OK, Thanks I will give that a try. Do I need to do another reset?

Message 220 of 426
jblackst2800
Tutor

Hello, I actually downgraded my firware to 1.0.48 and everything is working for me now. I do believe Netgear actually pulled 1.0.48 from available download and show 1.0.30. I would think that would work as well.

Message 221 of 426
david-net
Aspirant

A reset after up/downgrade is recommended...
Message 222 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

I did the downgrade and reset, working fine last 10 minutes. fingers crossed. Thanks

Message 223 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

That worked for almost an hour. I had to do a power cycle to get wi fi working.  Guess it's time for router shopping. maybe I will try the Asus?   I should have ignored the upgrade firmware email.

Message 224 of 426
tn77
Star

I'm very surprised things aren't working for you still. The hotfix firmware has worked for me for weeks. Apparently 0.28 should work as well. The release version of the firmware is supposed to be this week or next week, based on comments here.

ASUS routers SUCK SUCK SUCK. I bought one and it went bad very shortly after getting started, so I figured it was just a bad router. Bought another one of the same model, same issue. Do not buy their routers! (Although I have three of their laptop/chromebooks with success.)

NETGEAR dragged their feet on this but since the CEO and executive team got involved, they got on creating a fix and they fixed the issue. I think you just need the right version.

Message 225 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7