Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

Killhippie
Prodigy

Did you do reset from the menu or use the reset button on the back. Just wondering if there is a difference I know it should be the same but it's worth mentioning. I always use the reset button on the back and hold for ten seconds. Doing that I have not seen any of these issues at all. I even went back to 1.0.4.30 with no issue which suggests remnants of previous firmwares causing corruption maybe.  

Message 251 of 426
stevehale70
Tutor

@Killhippie I'll do another hard reset and reflash the netgear beta and see what happens as like you it doesn't make sense why I have this issue.
Message 252 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Don't use a config file after to put back your settings, enter everything by hand. It's a chore but it's the best way to avoid issues. Hope it works. 

Message 253 of 426
jblackst2800
Tutor

After I reverted to an earlier firmware V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 I used my backup file to restore my settings. I found that everything worked fine including my 2.4 ghz but all of the port forwarding I had for my cameras and security/home automation system did not work. I had to manually delete them and re-enter and that fixed the problem.

Message 254 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

1.0.5.48 has an issue with port forwarding that's why 1.0.6.28 was released, but you had to manually reset the router by holding in the reset button for twenty seconds to clear all port forwarding info and reset the router. If you do that with 1.0.6.40 that should also work. Hopefully there will be a full release firmware soon. Do not use back up settings, they can contain settings from previous firmware versions that do not apply to the latest versions and once again cause corruption. Also always reset the router with firmware updates, I can not stress this enough, lots of code changes happen and a hard reset and manual install of your settings is really the only way to make sure things work as they should. Also some peoples issues are hardware related, and they blame the firmware because when re-writing any devices firmware if you have hardware issues thats when they will really show up.

Message 255 of 426
jblackst2800
Tutor

Thanks Killhippie,

Yes.....that is why I had a problem with my port forwarding. When I did a hard reset and rolled back the firmware I did a restore from my saved backup. When I went to the port forwarding page they were all there but not functioning. That is when I manually deleted and re-entered them to fix my problem. Since everything is working right now I will jsut wait until I get the go ahead with a proven and tested new firmware release. At that time I will enter everything as you suggested manually.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim

Message 256 of 426
h_smith
Guide

As others have mentioned, I too had saved a copy of my old settings in to a back-up along with my previous firmware version in the event that I had to revert back to my old configuration. A question that I have for Netgear is whether or not the entire non-volatile area used to hold configuration settings is backed up when you execute the back-up and save the file to your hard drive or not. In addition, if you load your back-up file in to the router, is the entire non-volatile area erased overwritten? This is an important question that I would like to have answer to. If only partial data is overwritten when a back settings are restored then it makes sense to me that you would need to perform the "factory reset" to wipe out the NV area. If the restore of the back-up settings is only partial, this is a bad concept in my opinion! The lack of an erasure of the NV area seems to be the situation and that is why these factory resets are required whenever versions of firmware are changed (with or without backup settings).

I would also like to sharply disagree with the idea that Netgear is pushing out firmware updates from within the browser management system that require a factory update. I would suggest, and I think that most would agree that without notification to the user, firmware updates that require a full-blown factory reset, and the requirement of abandoning all previously saved configuration settings should not be made through this interface unless you have the ability to warn the user that they must perform a factory reset and abandon their back-up settings. I am guessing that many people do not even back up their settings every time they perform the firmware update, and rightfully assuming that an incompatibility would not be introduced in this way!

If you cannot warn the user about what is going to be required of them if they click the on the auto-update link then please do not do it. Also please do not insult my intelligence by stating that there was a mention of factory reset requirement in some release notes that I was never presented with during the update process. I do not have the time or inclination to read these release notes for features that I will not use.

I would also like to chime in on the comment about new features being enabled automatically on a firmware update. This is irrespective of all of the other firmware issues going on. When I did an upgrade to one of the newer versions of firmware, I noticed that the port forwarding for my website (one of the most typical uses for ANY router) could not be enabled because some new feature had been enabled and was using port 80. I had to hunt around in the settings to find this new service and disable it before I could re-enable the port forwarding for my website. This was a time consuming and frustrating process as I do not have time to learn about new features that I will never use that have taking over resources used in the most typical use case that becomes disabled. When I discovered what happened I have to say that I found that irritating to say the least. What the <blank> comes to mind.

While someone had argued that if new features are disabled then people will probably never use them. I would sharply disagree that just because you want to role out some new feature that you will make the decision to take my time to figure out why my system no longer works, placing the new feature above my customizations. To be honest, I do not care about this new feature and I sure as heck do not want it taking over port 80!

To summarize, in the future please do not enable new features that A) Could present a possible security risk that should be enabled by the end user willing to take that risk not knowing a thing about it. B) Please do not role out new features that take critical resources away from the mostly commonly used use cases!

Message 257 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

What security risk? As to release notes they are there for the user to read.  I do agree Netgear should make it clear you need to reset when needed but the same happens with Asus routers you have to do resets, and it seems people generally find that out via forum or reading the release notes... I guess it's partly a case of RTFM if you can't be bothered to find out what new features were included that's your problem not Netgears, if you have time to update then you have time to read the release notes it takes a few minutes you do have the time, it's about being bothered to make it though..  If using auto update which I myself don't (I like read the release notes first)  Netgears should address this but reading the notes once again would mitigate this. Also opt in is better than opt out. I myself don't need Arlo and I imagine many users don't as well so tbh it should be turned off by default. Those who need it can turn it on. Arlo in the R7000 smacks of advertising a feature by having it on so you will buy it.

Ultimatey though like your car, your TV, your washing machine etc you have to take responsibility for learning your equipments features, if you can't be bothered don't complain when you dont know what's going on. As to the NV ram I would as over at smallnetbuilder.com  Merlin writes third party firmware and will give you the answers you need I would imagine. I do know that on certain updates they recommend a full reset, probably when new driver updates are included and also major new features. Browse their forum it's very helpful. 

Message 258 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

I have tried everything mentioned here following every advice carefully to no avail, I'm using my old wndr3700v1, yep another netgear product, hopefully that one doesn't go bad on me like the r7000, oh my bad i would have to flah the messed up netgear firmware for that to happen.

I even tried 3rd party firmware and still can only connect to 5g not to 2.4

I'm done with netgear.

Message 259 of 426
mikegoldnj
Aspirant

Will moving to either the beta or back to the older firmware correct the slow WiFi issues?

Message 260 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Hardware dies, it happens it could also happen to any make of router you buy. I'm sorry it happened to you but its one of those things. All hardware dies eventually.

Message 261 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

What slow wifi issue, I'm not seeing one. What firmware are you on now? Have you done a full hard reset and resinstalled your settings yourself, not by a save file?

Message 262 of 426
mkruger
Aspirant

I just tested and it works on 1.0.6.28 and 1.0.6.40 when disabling the security, but not with security enabled? Still same issue device shows up in list of devices but with no name or IP. Is this a known issue? Any suggestions or solutions?

Message 263 of 426
JamesGL
Master

Hi mkruger,

If it will still not work after factory reset and manual reconfigure, you may revert to firmware version v1.0.4.30.

Message 264 of 426
LeftCoast
Aspirant

I just installed the beta version, 1.0.6.40, this morning when my earlier version, 1.0.5.48, failed on 2.4GHz. I did a hard reset to factory and reconfigured everything. It worked for about 9 hours and then 2.4GHz failed. I am going back to 1.0.4.30 to see if it works. I guess 1.0.6.40 isn't quite ready for distribution yet.

Message 265 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Been running for 5 days now with no issue whatsoever. I have no ides a why some peoples R7000 units are playing up, I can only think you have defective units somehow. Unless some of you are not hard resetting using the router using the reset button at the back of the router and holding it for 20 seconds. Really odd. I have never had any issues with any builds. I would at this point be looking at issues with the 2.4Ghz radio in the router as a hardware fault if 1.0.4.30 does not work.

Message 266 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi LeftCoast - I'm sorry to hear that the beta firmware didn't work for you. Did you have success with the earlier version of firmware? Are you willing to share the configuration files from your router with the beta firmware? Thank you!

Message 267 of 426
LeftCoast
Aspirant

I did not back up a configuration file for the beta version. It only worked for 9 hours. I also checked the logs and they do not go back to the beta version. I am using 1.0.4.30 right now and it seems to be working. I did a hard factory reset for 20 seconds after I uploaded the beta version and then reconfigured. I do use port forwarding and Dynamic DNS.

Message 268 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Okay, thank you. I am very sorry to hear that the beta did not work for you, but glad that you have something that is meeting your needs. Please let us know if this problem returns, thank you!

Message 269 of 426
J_Gonzalez
Tutor

I installed the BETA firmware last week. Since then we've had the WiFi drop twice (that I know of).  I think the older firmware was a little more stable, not sure this one is doing it.

Message 270 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

when are we getting final firmware for the R7000 this has got to the point where I think I may have to get a new router, this is taking way to long. Its a disgrace.

Message 271 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Is this new official firmware ever going to arrive, this extra week is turning out to be a little longer. To be blunt this is getting pretty pathetic now. What is the delay and why cant you sort this issue out? Netgear is not a name I'm recommending any more. Oh and IPV6 please, make it work... Asus have for years... stop adding features we dont need and make the basics work.

Message 272 of 426
houseofbugs
Tutor

You guys are like a bunch of whiny kids. Run 1.0.40.3 and stop whining.
Message 273 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

First off I don't want to run a version with vulnerabilities in it. Readyshare print is vulnerable In that version.  Secondly there are features in the latest firmware I use. Just because you don't please don't assume others don't as well, if you can't come up with a helpful comment don't comment at all. 

Message 274 of 426
houseofbugs
Tutor

Then make sure your WAN end of things are secure. If you have to protect against intruders on your LAN side then you have bigger issues than a firmware one.

Message 275 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7