Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

123DaveG
Tutor

Why no reply on timing for new firmware. I have the Beta and have to restart the router each day(or more) speed drops to 1/2 at random times. This problem has gone on an way too long.

Message 351 of 426
JamesGL
Master

Hi fishbone,

Right now we do not have any beta firmware that has the Arlo feature. No ETA if there will be a beta firmware to be released/

Hi 123DaveG,

What is the beta firmware the router is using? Is the speed issue occurs on wired or wireless devices or both?

Message 352 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

Both, v1.06.40...

Message 353 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi 123DaveG - the specific issue is that the WiFi driver changes to support Arlo made the 2.4 GHz unstable for all R7000 customers. So we temporarily disabled the Arlo capability. We are testing more Arlo cases to confirm we have a solid fix that doesn't impact the 2.4 GHz. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience! Nifer

Message 354 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Sorry, just to clarify - I work for NETGEAR. Thanks!

Message 355 of 426
daveshan
Initiate

Nifer, for those of us that prefer to skip the Beta, when will the production firmware fix for the 2.4g issue be released?  (I don't need Arlo.)  This issue is about 6 months old now.

Thanks.

Message 356 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi Daveshan - we hope to release a production version of the R7000 firmware without Arlo support by the end of May. Thanks for your patience with us! Nifer 

Message 357 of 426
JyBravo70
Guide

End of May???  THIS is exactly when I recently moved, this past weekend, I purchased an Asus AC-3200 instead of the getting another Nighthawk.  This is adding insult to injury.  Being one of the first to register the problem on this thead I have been more than patient awaiting some positive steps that demonstrate a degree of competnecy and ability to correct an issue that arose and frankly, I lost faith in Netgear as a company to respond to issues that occur to their hardware.  Without this degree of confidence the company can identify, test, and respond to issues found is the reason I have turned to your direct competition for new devices.  As I moved I got an Asus wifi router, Cisco 8 port switch, and am thinking of telling the wife to just factory reset the router and leave it for the people moving into our home when she moves out in 2 months. 

Having technical issues is fine and acceptable if communicated proactively and frequently with updates, milestones, and next step timelines.  The responses have been few and while those by you were great it seems your corporate overloards and sending you out with too little data and do not care enough or take us customers for granted in not dedicating enough resources and bandwidth to investigate and deploy a solution to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of the user base.  This is sad as the customer relationship based off this shows just how much Netgear cares about us after the sale and in maintaining the equipment post sale.  

Message 358 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Dear JyBravo70 - I am very sorry about the issues you've had with our R7000. I've shared your community post with the head of the R7000 product development team. I have a meeting with him on Monday and will discuss your experience, as well as the experience of our other community members. I genuinely appreciate your feedback, and your willingness to try and help us improve our product quality, and I'm sorry we didn't resolve this issue quickly. I hope the Asus router works great for you. Best wishes to you and your family as you move to a new home! Thank you again. Nifer

Message 359 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

I ditched my R7000 after months of you not getting any fixes out, I made the huge mistake of getting the R7800 it has issues with iPhones and iPads (sorted in beta tests but it should not have been released like that) and still you failed to roll that into Mays update. Frankly the fact you are using OpenSSL versions from 2005 and not even keeping up with the latest OpenSSL CVE's (https://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html) leaving routers potentially vulnerable says a lot. I think I'd be better off with an Asus router which gets patched regularly, has useful things like the Trend engine that looks for malware, has a HTTPS login page which you cant store the password on and even lets you change admin to something else less obvious.
Don't get me started on the tired GUI of all your routers, Netgear firmware is appalling and after banging my head like many other users you still have a borked version of IPv6 as you drop certain ICMP packets that should not be dropped. Asus and other companies seem to at least try keep their routers safe and up to date and have working IPV6, Netgear also just drops EOL on routers like the R7500 and brings out a v2 and look how little support that unit has got! Considering the price of the equipment it feels like you are just into the bottom line and it feels like your coders are vastly inexperienced, I mean how long does it take it you to update to the latest OpenSSL versions? The R8500 using OpenSSL 0.9.7f 22 March 2005 (software that is 11 years and 2 months old)  is outrageous let alone taking into account that routers huge price tag you think you would get the latest OpenSSL version and better and more frequent firmware updates.

Message 360 of 426
jdoncarlos
Guide

Thank you Killhippie for raising the security issue. I updated my R7000 firmware as recommended when Netgear many months ago primarily assuming that Netgear had incorporated current security fixes - - and then encountered 2.4 ghz not working. Am now running one of the Beta releases that restored 2.4 ghz. QUESTION - what is the security status of the firmware now? Is it really years behind? Is it vulnerable? Thanks,
Message 361 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

last night I lost 2,4ghz and had to restart router to get it back. As I stated I am using v1.06.40...Beta firmware. So much time wasted on a product that should be reliable. I too will look into the Asus router. I have held back because I also have the 6200ex.

Message 362 of 426
IrvSp
Master

V1.0.6.40 is NOT the present 'stabilized' beta. That one you are using had be WITHDRAWN. Stability problems for many people. The 'new' beta is a downgraded stabilize version with NO Arlo support. It is V1.0.5.62. Use either that or the last Official release, V1.0.40 and you might find it works better.

Message 363 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

I can find 1.0.5.60_1.1.86. Where do you find V1.0.5.62

Message 364 of 426
IrvSp
Master

Message 365 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

Thanks, trying it now.

Message 366 of 426
jguerdat
Guru

FWIW (not much), I'm using 1.0.6.40 with Arlo and haven't had any 2.4GHz drops or even any issues at all.

Message 367 of 426
eburies
Aspirant

I recently completed a hard reset, downloaded the newest beta version, hard reset, and now making working on port forwarding. Here's to hoping the 2.4GHz wifi remains stable. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 368 of 426
RHTiktak
Aspirant

Have exactly same experience and am completely fed up with this divice. Getting help from Netgear is really impossible due to their entrance policy.

This Netgear R7000 is a verry dissappointing device. Spent already days trying to resolve. Read all advices on this and other sites, but no positive results. No interference at current lcation. (tried Zyxel modem on 2.4 GHz on exactly same spot and works stable without any hick-ups) Result is a couple verry upset upgrowing children and wife.

The 2.4 Ghz is just not working.

Software version is 1.0.4.30. Device has been purchased in May 2015. Serial number 44534C77A1212

Please HELP

Message 369 of 426
kkirispo
Aspirant

cannot solve the issue even though downloading the version1.0.4.30, previous version 1.0.4.28 and other previous versions.  Please advise when the new version will be released to solve all the bugs found?  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 370 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

Installed v1.0.5.62. performed hard reset. I still have to reset several times per day to keep all 2.4 device's going. iPhones work but not others (ring) devices.

Message 371 of 426
eburies
Aspirant

I did a hard reset before installing the beta and then another hard reset after installing the beta version. So far so good no need to reset for the past 3 days.
Message 372 of 426
jguerdat
Guru

I see that v1.0.5.64 is released on the downloads page.  Does this one support Arlo, also?

Message 373 of 426
IrvSp
Master

No.

Message 374 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Good news! We now have a production version of firmware that should resolve the 2.4 GHz issue, v1.0.5.64. You may download this firmware from our R7000 page here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000#searchResults

As IrvSp correctly notes, this version of firmware fixes the 2.4 GHz issue and reinstates the new features, such as Kwilt, Smart Connect, and WiFI Transmit Power Control. It does not support Arlo.  We hope to have a beta version that supports Arlo in the next two weeks.

We welcome any feedback you provide on this new firmware, and appreciate your patience as we resolved these issues. Thank you all for supporting the R7000 and NETGEAR!

Message 375 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7