Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

Hi, installed new firmware yesterday and so far only issue is the reach of 5GHz band. I live in a fairly small apartment and with older firmwarfe signal reached all corners, now it does not. Earlier it reached the 12 m to balcony and now i have to be inside.

Has anything changed in the strength of the signal?

I can no longer access router from remote site either and genie for iphone, or mac. Even the webbrowser works very slow when logging on to the router from home, feel like the router has slow respons to genie software (it is upgraded to latest versions too)

Best regards

Lennart

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 376 of 426

After reversing to older version everything is working again so I will stay away until new bug fixed release shows up

Message 377 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Did you hard reset the router after updating?
Message 378 of 426

By that you meen factory reset or power on/off, i did the latter one.
Message 379 of 426
JamesGL
Master

HI Daydream_II,

Reset means pressing the reset button until the power turns amber.

Message 380 of 426

Hi, will test this ehen i upgrade again sometime. Should also be in the instructions so everybody nows
Message 381 of 426
fishbone
Star

R7000-V1.0.5.64_1.1.88 installed without problems and works so far (without reset since I didn't want to spend the day configuring). Getting close to 600Mbps on our most distant PC in a crowded Wifi space. Thanks.

Message 382 of 426

And then having to do all settings all over again... Should not be needed when doing an upgrade in my opinion.

/Lennart

Message 383 of 426
IrvSp
Master

@Daydream_ll wrote:

And then having to do all settings all over again... Should not be needed when doing an upgrade in my opinion.

/Lennart

True, but that is when going 'forward'. The beta's seem to add some differences where the settings are saved. Like the Arlo SSID info on the  recalled beta's. Users going to the official new release or the beta's based on code without the Arlo support reported for instance they still had the Arlo SSID. Although I don't have the code to look at (it is open source by the way) I assume the data area is NOT updated/changed during and install of new firmware. Hence old settings would be kept, but from the old recalled beta that data might be invalid and cause problems. Hence the need to clear it all and re-enter it manually. Saved data I guess is only good for re-installed settings  on the SAME version, not a new one possibly.

Bottom line I guess is you only need do that when going backward in firmware versions. Forward/upgrading it might not be necessary depending on what the developers did.

Message 384 of 426
TheEther
Guru

It's less common but compatibility issues can also happen when moving forward. It happened when Netgear made some changes to port forwarding in the release after 1.0.4.30.

Netgear's configuration file format was not designed with version compatibility in mind. If they adopted a structured data format, like Google Protocol Buffers or even XML, then these issues wouldn't occur. Obviously, that will require engineering development to make the switch. It's not clear that that is a cost Netgear is willing to incur.
Message 385 of 426
jguerdat
Guru

I see a new version, 1.0.5.70, is released.  Release notes show minimal changes:

• Enables the admin password protection feature for USB storage access services.
  • Requires the user to change the router admin password during the router installation.

@Nifer, any word on Arlo compatibility?  This is dragging on and on...

Message 386 of 426
jguerdat
Guru

Message 387 of 426
VE6CGX
Master

Why don't you try? Xvortex, Tomato, dd-wrt, etc. many choices out there. When I had R7000 I never used stock firmware.

Message 388 of 426
richlow
Aspirant

Tried a factory reset, but still no internet access on 2.4g!!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 389 of 426
IrvSp
Master

More details might help here?

Does the 5Ghz work?

What are you using to try and connect at 2.4Ghz? Did it ever connect to that frequency before?

What firmware version are you using?

Did the 2.4Ghz every work before?

Does the WIRELESS tab on the Router via a browser show it enabled and if so, what boxes are checked?

What SECURITY are you using?

Does it work with NO security?

Message 390 of 426
VE6CGX
Master

How many times do you have to get burned making hasty f/w update. Who says newer f/w is always better. Did you read the release note B4 updating? Why? you ask? f/w is modular in nature like any other softwares. Often one person does not write whole f/w modules. Kernel is a Linux kernel and it has to work in harmony with all the various modules. Wireless driver is from Broadcom. or Qaulcomm If one part of module is modified by it's original author to improve or fix a bug,etc. he is only thinking his module. But many times it affects other modules causing trouble making it worse than previous version. Numerous beta testing can't cover all the possible operating condition. So if you must update f/w as soon as newer version shows up, test your patience, wait a while until it's proven in the real world.

In my working days I saw a software package which was producing fault condition when every 25K times it is used.  It took a while to realize it and another while to correct the bug. Remeber old saying,

'Don't mess with someting not broken'  When you get into trouble you should be able to get out of it.

No plan B?

or so used. Took a while to see it happening and took another while to fix the problem. Please, don't be so anxious to try newer f/w when your box is working OK.

Message 391 of 426

I have now installed latest firmware and its working fine exept for some language errors. When using swedish and a webbrowser to manage settings, the WIFI settings for security and password does not exist. Changed to english and they are there, so a bug for swedish language
Message 392 of 426
richlow
Aspirant

@stuckincube wrote:

Right, but rebooting causes the entire router to reset.  I was adding that just pushing the button fixes the issues which might help isolate the problem, since it is just the wifi that is disabled and then reenabled.  The router keeps going with wired with no issues, and 2.4G is fixed without reboot.

Seems to be working so far! even on Os 7. Although no issues with 8.1, so seems to be affecting Windows 7 OS at present.? 

thanks for the info.

Message 393 of 426
VE6CGX
Master

In old days, B4 the days of networking(router) we used word 'system initialize' reboot causes soft reset vs. pushing button causes hard reset.

this is the difference.

Message 394 of 426
VE6CGX
Master

Couldn't you go back to previous good working f/w? NG dropped ball for sure for latest round of R7000 f/w update.

Message 395 of 426
IrvSp
Master

@richlow wrote:

@stuckincube wrote:

Right, but rebooting causes the entire router to reset.  I was adding that just pushing the button fixes the issues which might help isolate the problem, since it is just the wifi that is disabled and then reenabled.  The router keeps going with wired with no issues, and 2.4G is fixed without reboot.

Seems to be working so far! even on Os 7. Although no issues with 8.1, so seems to be affecting Windows 7 OS at present.? 

thanks for the info.

Check the Security type... neighbor had a similar problem. Worked fine in W7 but couldn't connect in W10. Turned out to be the SECURTIY setting. Need to use WPA2. Once the router was reset with that security it worked fine.

Message 396 of 426
avgUser
Aspirant

Just to inform anyone of you not yet switched to Asus. Still using the old fw V1.0.4.28_1.1.64 with simply no issues. This looks problem free but I am still not happy reading your messages of the last 3 month on the forum. 

I completely agree that configuration data loss even partly is not acceptable in case of fw renewal. Config file save/load is useless if any previously entered config data is lost. That is one of the good reasons I do not try any new fw versions. 

Message 397 of 426
h_smith
Guide

I mentioned that months ago but it did not apparently deserve a response. To suggest that I have to re-enter all of my settings each time I upgrade the software is really unacceptable. I did it this time for the latest software but once I am stable I am staying there. While it is good to keep a backup of your configuration settings the reality is that you need screen shots of all of your settings to manually re-enter them. How this became acceptable at Netgear is beyond me.

Message 398 of 426
IrvSp
Master

@h_smith wrote:

I mentioned that months ago but it did not apparently deserve a response. To suggest that I have to re-enter all of my settings each time I upgrade the software is really unacceptable.

Well I suspect there is usually a reasonable reason for needing to do this. Don't forget the flash contains the OS, GUI, and router programming. In a perfect world the OS and GUI would not have any effect on the programming of the router. Therefore in some instances it is best to re-enter all settings after resetting the router after updating. Only NG would know when AND why, but lately I've noticed they have been 'suggesting' the reset/re-enter 'request'. Wish they said why?

Don't forget, s/w will do what it is directed to do for all users the same way. Of course no two routers are probably using the same exact set of settings, so issues could be caused by settings themselves or combination of them.

Two other things to consider besides most of the reports here are of errors/problems and most likely are a very small percentage of users, a majority of whom have no problems at all.

1. There could have been some faulty d/l's, no MD5 supplied to check the contents of the flash d/l, which could be contributing to the problem.
  2. Not all routers might be the same. Although there are no version numbers associated with the h/w, it appears the routers are built by different vendors and more than likely with different component suppliers. Because of this some components might fail under some different settings, but I'd suspect this would not be the case alone. However we all have different line voltages and stability. Some could experience problems due to this as well.

Base settings can cause problems too. I have a neighbor that had a problem with his Laptop wireless adapter when it was upgraded from W7 to W10. While it had no problem connecting to the router under W7 it could not under W10. Hmm, why would that be, other devices had no problems connecting to the router, why this particular laptop? It was a Toshiba and they really didn't have a W10 driver but the h/w manufacturer did so I got that. Did NOT fix the problem? We purchased a NG USB Wireless adapter. Disabled the internal one and fired up the NG USB and installed the latest W10 driver. STILL could not connect. Discovered the problem, his router was set to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" for security. Why was it set to that? Because his ISP said to do that (it is the one to use if you have older equipment and works for most people). Just changed it to "WPA2-PSK [AES]" and both the NG and internal Toshiba devices worked. A simple security change. Just goes to show how a simple setting can make a difference between connecting and not.

Me, when I update I do nothing first and just TRY it. Have a problem, RESET/RE-ENTER is the way to go.

Message 399 of 426
fishbone
Star

"RESET/RE-ENTER is the way to go"

@IrvSp - Stop apoligizing for these guys. That may have been the case in the past, like storing data on cardboard with holes punched in. Technology and user-friendlyness evolve.

It is not rocket science to design a coherent settings file format - especially after being in the router business for decades.

How difficult is it to stick user configuration like port settings etc into a structured XML file? Reading such a file is no different than reading user input from the web form.

In fact, just for manufacturer testing they should have tools to reliably, consistently and repeatedly read settings.

You could probably create an industry standard for tedious to enter settings most of us here care about (ip reservation, port mapping etc).

I enter the same stuff into every router - and guess why? Because, without going into details, the 'internet' doesn't talk to a specific router but is based on standard protocols.

Not only that. Expecting users to re-enter a working configuration manually across several screens is error prone.

-------------------

Now, I am scared to try 1.0.5.70_1.1.91, which my router wants me to upgrade to. Is anyone running this for some time without issues already?

Message 400 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7