Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

Try turning off your guest network if you have it enabled. This worked for me. My router no longer booting devices off. Also you can try turning your 2.4G speed down to 289, which I read will force it to only use 20hz.
Message 51 of 64
rmm200
Aspirant

Based on another reply, I dropped all the way back to R7000-V1.0.9.6_1.2.19.

I have not factory reset on this one - that will be my next step, but so far all looks good.

I have 2.4G set to 54 - I understand I need that for 5G to get AC speeds.

From everything else I have read - turning off Guest mode only works because it forces a router reset. Your mileage may vary...

Message 52 of 64

That's true - it will force a reset. But so far every time I've done a reset the devices are good up to an hour before getting kicked. Never really longer. With guest mode off they are all on two days now with a steady connection. I'll report back next weekend, and hopefully all this headache is only temporary.
Message 53 of 64
HWAM
Apprentice

I guess it's time to put some negative notes on the Netgear Facebook pages. Make the story public.
Message 54 of 64
Kglass77
Aspirant

I've been having the same problem for the past couple of months I blamed it on my crappy internet at first but I read this a whole thread tried to reset turn off parent control and it still doesn't work. I see now that there is a firmware update I'm going to try that and see if that works
Message 55 of 64
s7726
Guide

This is a great piece of hardware, unfortunately Netgear doesn't seem to care about this issue. I wouldn't waste any more of your time. Go with the advanced tomato firmware, you'll get more features, just as much performance, and all your devices will work again.
Message 56 of 64
samrrw
Aspirant

+1.  It's 6 months old and last weekend, all my 2.4GHz devices stopped being able to connect.  I've tried all your recommended tricks (thank you).  I've gotten it to connect for up to 10 minutes, but then it stops working again.  It does not appear NetGear is resolving this problem quickly.  I posted an accurate (and unfavorable) review on Amazon where I purchased it, plus Kindles are 2.4GHz and a victim of the problem.  I have a lot of expensive wireless electronics I can't use.  NetGear has lost my trust.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 57 of 64
bytat
Tutor

Possible solution: completely cleanse the wifi settings on the devices and reconnect.

This worked for me. I'm on the xvortex/merlin asuswrt firmware.

A while ago I suddenly had issues with some ios devices not connecting to the 2.4 ghz band/ sudden drop outs. I tried to revert to older firmwares , even stock, but the problem still remained. I got the idea to try resetting all wifi settings on my iphone, reconnected to the network, and suddenly it worked again. This might be stating the obvious but don't neglect to try this if all else fails.

Message 58 of 64
JamesGL
Master

Hi samrrw,

What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure to update it.

https://kb.netgear.com/000055563/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-28

Message 59 of 64
SleepyGuy06
Tutor

Advanced tomato is the one true fix. I have had it running smoothly for a few months now. Not one issue.
Message 60 of 64
BradR7000
Star

@SleepyGuy06 wrote:
Advanced tomato is the one true fix. I have had it running smoothly for a few months now. Not one issue.

I agree.  Currently at 133 days of uptime for me.  It's been flawless.

Message 61 of 64
samrrw
Aspirant

I unplugged the router today, all day, and when I returned home and plugged it in, it is working.  I have no illusions this is permanent but it sure is nice to have everything connecting.  Full confession - I have the Xfinity version of the R7000 (NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S DOCSIS 3.1 Ultra-High Speed Wifi Cable Modem Router Combo Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Cox, Gig-speed from Xfinity (C7800) . My firmware level is 3.01.38.  I'm not sure if I could put Advanced Tomato on it, but if/when it stops working again, I'd be happy to try.  The Xfinity forum has the "can't see 5GHz but can see 2.4GHz", which is exactly opposite of the problem I've had.  I came here for help and very much appreciate all the good advice.

Message 62 of 64
Jlchavis0844
Aspirant

What worked for me was switching the security from WPA and WPA2 to just WPA. I'm not sure why that would matter except maybe it resets the radio? The initial issue started when I configured a static IP through the router for one of my devices. Weird.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 63 of 64
Mzrdisi
Aspirant

I would not reccomend using WPA security.

Message 64 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements