R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

Rjphllps7
Star

R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

I have read all the posts and feeds about the nighthawk having issues connecting. Previously it was the 2.4 working great and the 5g having connection issues and now after a software update its now the opposite. 5g is great and strong but the 2.4 works for a few hours then nothing unless I reboot or change channel. If I change the channel it works and then 2 hours later or sooner it's off again. Please help thank you
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 71
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

Hi Rjphllps7,

Please update the firmware to the latest one.

https://kb.netgear.com/000052576/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-14

If issue still exist, reset and reconfigure manually.

Message 2 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

Thank you for the reply. This suggestion was not helpful at all and generic. I did these steps before posting here. After updating, resetting and going to factory settings, and manually configuring it did the exact same things (even changed the between name to a totally different id). I eventually after many many trouble shooting techniques disabled the 20-40 option. This isnt ideal but if it makes my internet consistent then it's option is off for now.
I would like to say I'm a little more tech savvy so the funny answers (reboot, reset, update, blah blah are quick easy answers with no thought) let's try as a community to ask and care more then just the similar response to almost every post in the "community".
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 71
Fairytail
Virtuoso

@Rjphllps7 When posting here, you have to indicate all the steps you have tried. Don't assume that users who read your post have psychic ability to know what are the things you have done. 

Good for you that you have found a work around for your issue but again if you want community to give you the best answer then provide a more detailed post.

Message 4 of 71
JamesGL
Master

Hi Rjphllps7,

I apologize as I did not know that you already tried those steps. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Message 5 of 71
jggarceron
Aspirant

I am having the same problem and already installed the latest firmware. I did also try turning off 20/40 but my 2.4ghz connection is still having issues. Any suggestions?
Message 6 of 71
JamesGL
Master

Hi jggarceron,

Just to verify that you have done factory reset on the device after the update?

Message 7 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

Fairytale: you are absolutely correct and in behalf of my anger I apologize. After going through page after page of troubleshooting and that is the same answer on every page just update firmware I got upset because updating firmware isn't the "golden" answer.
Also this should be a helpful site, got any suggestions on fixing the issue or just attacking me without understanding my anger? Thank you
Message 8 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

jggarceron: you are right that didn't solve the issue at all, was a temp solution that worked a day then back to having issues.
Message 9 of 71
jggarceron
Aspirant

Yes, I did. Any suggestions?
Message 10 of 71
jggarceron
Aspirant

See this other thread. This issue has been going on for a while now. I hope it's not time for another router. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-2-4ghz-not-working-but-5ghz-is-fine/td...
Message 11 of 71

Looks like I joined the ranks of 2.4 issues, after years of no issues at all 2 days ago my 2.4ghz stopped working, no rhyme or reason. I have it set to auto update but there was an update notification yesterday so I updated hoping it would just resolve the issue, and yes I factory reset and entered everything again. And yes it was a factory reset not a power cycle. That fixed it for a couple minutes. Downgraded the firmware next,used an old one recommended in an old post with the same issue from 2016, and again, reset, re enter. Work overnight and kicked out again today. 5ghz is fine but some devices can't use 5ghz so I can't just change everything over. As another user said it is a bit annoying to see this issue has been going on for years now with no solution, just the same tired answer, "have you reset and manually entered the info", is there any viable solutions yet? Monitoring, resetting and manually reconfiguring Everytime it goes out is not a viable option.
Message 12 of 71
William10a
Master

I notice one common theme to all the 2.4 ghz band issues it seems that a firmware update was done within a few days of the problem showing it self, has anyone else?

Message 13 of 71

I'm not sure when the previous update came out, it was set to auto update but in my case it started out of the blue 2 days ago and there was the newest update that I had to install and that still had issues. Plus there's posts of this issue on here back to I think 2015
Message 14 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

Same here with V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 and previous firmware. Wifi 2.4 stops working and 5 is working fine. Attached devices are dropped and connecting to guest wifi is also not working. I tried it with my smartphone because ap wasn't stored in smartphone. I have this problem with the two latest firmware versions. I the past it was working great for months. Last two firmware versions not stable. This morning again. I have a test ping script running on my cable connected raspberry pi. It's pinging my 2.4 wifi ip cam every 10 minutes. It wasn't reachable for about an hour and it came back automatically. Also another 2.4 wifi device had problems in the same timeframe. So 2.4 is dropping but it will come back after a certain time. My ping script is running every 10 minutes and excecuting a ping. 

Message 15 of 71

I set my 2.4 to auto channel, then as per an older posts recommendation I turned off the ddos protection, so far so good I'll see if it makes it through the day. The only recent changes I made in years were turning on guest wifi a couple weeks back and last weekend changing wifi names, doubt a name change would do much but if the other changes don't keep it working I'm going to keep undoing things to put it back to where it worked fine. I've had the thing for like 4 years or something, just odd it suddenly decides not to work.
Message 16 of 71
djjaeger82
Star

Please report back and let us know if that workaround is stable.  The only thing I've found so far that works is reverting back the oldest initial release firmware 1.0.0.96 and doing a factory reset on the router with the reset button and a paperclip.  I'm about 12 hours in and no wifi drops yet.  Will report back later today or tomorrow on the status.

Message 17 of 71

no luck mine kicked out again, so I had turned off guest, turned off the DDoS protection, had the 2.4 channel set to auto but that wasn't working so set it to a channel thats open and was running V1.0.7.6_1.1.9 firmware and it kicked out, since it didn't work I went to the newest firmware, factory reset, manually entered everything again, have the same changes (no guest no ddos) set up so just going to run with that and see if it kicks out, if it does the last thing I can do is change the wifi name back to what worked for the past few years, then it will be back to exactly where it was before all this started happening and if that doesn't work I'm switching to my backup router, Belkin. Can't have this keep going down, everything runs on the wifi here, TV, phones, obviously internet so yeah it kinda shuts things down for us.

Message 18 of 71
djjaeger82
Star

I've made it 24hours now without any wifi drops after reverting back to 1.0.0.96 (initial firmware release) and doing a hard reset using the paperclip on the router button.  If it makes it to 36hours overnight I'll start flashing newer firmwares slowly until hopefully I can get back to ~mid 2017 without any issue.

Message 19 of 71

I'll have to try that firmware since mine just kicked out again
Message 20 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

Just got the same problem again (FW: V1.0.9.14_1.2.25)

2.4 GHz devices had problems again. Very strange, a ping was giving a normal reply but accessing the webpage of the wifi ip-cam was not possible. Device was also not available as connected device in the netgear list.

All 5 GHz devices didn't had any problem, also listed as connected device.

After a short while my remote raspberry pi session (I was remotely checking the problem) was gone. At that time the 2.4 GHz devices came back and they worked again. After restarting my remote session with my pi I saw the webpage of my wifi ip-cam again so 2.4 GHz was working again.

Conclusion:

- 2.4 GHz devices are losing their connection

- a ping is still working, normal reply from device

- after a while it start working again

- maybe with a short disconnection of all devices because my remote raspberry pi connection was gone for a moment.

Message 21 of 71
JMDB1010
Guide

JAMES the moderator enough non working advice Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

James, If you are seriously wanting to help, then read the 100s of customers who haven't had 2.4 for over a year. Most of us have spent hours reading through the posts hoping for a solution. None work and your expert recommendation to upgrade the firmware is laughfable, it does not work for any of us. Either look into the issue and post a sticky to solve our problems or admit that your R7000 are defectives and that we are out of luck if out of warranty. It won't do much for customer loyalty but at least we'll stop waisting time reading through pages of post hoping for a solution that does not exist.

Message 22 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

@PariahComplex wrote:

no luck mine kicked out again, so I had turned off guest, turned off the DDoS protection, had the 2.4 channel set to auto but that wasn't working so set it to a channel thats open and was running V1.0.7.6_1.1.9 firmware and it kicked out, since it didn't work I went to the newest firmware, factory reset, manually entered everything again, have the same changes (no guest no ddos) set up so just going to run with that and see if it kicks out, if it does the last thing I can do is change the wifi name back to what worked for the past few years, then it will be back to exactly where it was before all this started happening and if that doesn't work I'm switching to my backup router, Belkin. Can't have this keep going down, everything runs on the wifi here, TV, phones, obviously internet so yeah it kinda shuts things down for us.

I am for sure version 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 was working fine!! For years! Can you try this version. Please downgrade to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 and reset with the switch on the back. Maybe other guys can do this test. I am 100% sure 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 was great. 

Message 23 of 71

I'm on some beta firmware right now, only flashed last night so if that doesn't work I'll try that one
Message 24 of 71

I'm on some beta firmware right now, only flashed last night so if that doesn't work I'll try 1.0.7.2_1.1.93
Message 25 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements