R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

JMDB1010
Guide

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

Tried that firmware also, does not work. I don't even see 2.4 as a wifi network option. I can't believe Netgear is not posting anything of value regarding this issue so we stop waisting time trying things. 

Thanks for the help though!

Message 26 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

@JMDB1010 wrote:

Tried that firmware also, does not work. I don't even see 2.4 as a wifi network option. I can't believe Netgear is not posting anything of value regarding this issue so we stop waisting time trying things. 

Thanks for the help though!

Tried which version?? Please be more clear about versions to eliminate communication problems. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 71
JMDB1010
Guide

No firmware seem to bring back 2.4

V 1072 that you recommended. I also tried all versions between 4.18 to 5.70.

Message 28 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

Re: No firmware seem to bring back 2.4

@JMDB1010 wrote:

V 1072 that you recommended. I also tried all versions between 4.18 to 5.70.

In that case I guess you have another problem.

Message 29 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

A rep just sent me a beta version that today is my first day testing and so far it's holding. If it clears all day with no issues I'll tell the developer and hope he gets it out to everyone..
Message 30 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

@Rjphllps7 wrote:
A rep just sent me a beta version that today is my first day testing and so far it's holding. If it clears all day with no issues I'll tell the developer and hope he gets it out to everyone..

Let me guess, this one: R7000-V1.0.9.13_20171020_wl.chk

I got it this morning. I didn't tested it yet.

Message 31 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

Yes and so far so good.. But I usually test for at least 24 hours before I give a short term verdict!
Message 32 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

Let's hope. It's an old date version 20171020 !?!?!?

Keep me informed please. I'm having problems almost daily now. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 33 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

I tested out the beta that was sent over and worked great for about 5 hours then back to issues again. Looks like the beta had promise but doesn't have a long term solution.
Message 34 of 71

I'm running that same beta, supposedly no problems yet but I haven't been home to monitor it, my roommate said it's been fine but he's connected to the 5g and explaining it to him is useless
Message 35 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

I downgraded to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 half an hour ago. I resored the backup from that time and version, it's from october 2016. From that time it was working great for more than a year.

Steps I took:

- Flashed 1.0.7.2_1.1.93

- Reset router, back site little small hole

- Restored the backup which was made with same 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 version

- Added/Changed some minor things, port forwarding, reservations.

Lets see what it does now!!

Message 36 of 71
uat75035
Aspirant

I had DD-WRT running on my R7000 for maybe more than 2 year and it hadbeen solid.  Lately (more on this) I notice my google Home mini which was connected to 2.4 GHZ kept on having trouble connecting to it.  It would re-connect after I reboot the router but it'd only last a few hours.  After several tried I decided to flash back to Netgear V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 and of course I did a factory reset.  The problem exists with the Netgear firmware as well.

I started noticing this issue after I purchased whole bunch of Google Home mini this past thanksgiving, 5 of them to be precise.  Not sure if this is a coincident, anyway, I have reconnect them to 5 GHz.  Most of my devices are now connected to 5Ghz but there are devices that can only connect to 2.4 and they keep on dying.  I am really hoping to get a fix on this.

I am thinking this is either a hardware issue or something that connects to the router that's killing 2.4?

Message 37 of 71

That's interesting, the only new device on my wifi, 2.4, is a nest thermostat, pretty sure that's a Google device as well, only a couple weeks old, think I installed a week before my 2.4 started acting up
Message 38 of 71
JMDB1010
Guide

In my case 2.4 was due to overheating - nothing to do with firmware versions

After waisting so much time trying different firmwares, I  simply disconnected the R7000 for an hour and boum 2.4 came back. In my case the issue was not disconnection, I simply did not see it at all as a wifi network. 

Unsure if it will last but I dusted off the unit and crossing my fingers. 

Message 39 of 71
jrobs7777
Aspirant

Has anyone had any "long term" success (which in this case is more than a few hours) with any of the discussed solutions or workarounds?

I updated the firmware and am running V1.0.9.14_1.2.25.  My 2.4 issues only surfaced within the last week or so but it is not sustainable.  If I can't figure out a solution, I'm going to have to ditch the router.  Too many connected home devices rely on 2.4 network.  

Message 40 of 71

Mines been pretty good since I put firmware R7000-V1.0.9.13_20171020, haven't had the 2.4 go out that I've noticed since I put that on
Message 41 of 71
jrobs7777
Aspirant

@PariahComplex wrote:
Mines been pretty good since I put firmware R7000-V1.0.9.13_20171020, haven't had the 2.4 go out that I've noticed since I put that on

So that is not publicly available right now - what steps did you take to get the beta?

Message 42 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

I'm not sure if I want to upgrade from the beta. After or took a couple of days for the beta to do whatever I haven't had any issues at all. Been 2 days and everything seems to be working. Can someone try the new update and after a few days let us all know how it goes? If not I'm sticking with the beta for now
Message 43 of 71
HWAM
Apprentice

I had to update to 1.0.9.18 an hour ago because also my old firmware version got the same problem again after 36 hours. I thought I had fixed it with an old V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 after flashing via the first FW ever. 3 resets and 3 old FW versions were not enough to make it it stable again.

I do not have the trust 1.0.9.18 is solving the 2.4GHz problem. I guess I have to buy a new router. Downtime is not acceptable anymore.

Message 44 of 71

that beta firmware I was running lasted a short time and 2.4 went out, went back to what I had before it stopped working, old ssid names and newest firmware, less then 24 hours, due to lack of interest in helping from them unless of course you pay for support I'm going to assume it's deliberate to force you to buy the newer model so I'm done with netgear and hooking my belkin back up

Message 45 of 71
jams218
Aspirant

I fix the problem in my Ex7000. Below the instructions. It takes like 30 minutes with all verifications. I am happy now. I hope you can fix your problem.

https://kb.netgear.com/30695/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-5-64

Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is R7000-V1.0.5.64_1.1.88.chk

Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.5.64_1.1.88.zip

Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://www.routerlogin.net.
Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.
Message 46 of 71

Good luck and hope it works but most of us flashed multiple older firmware with no luck, lasted a short time, I've moved on to an asus and have no problems now
Message 47 of 71
JMDB1010
Guide

Seriously anyone with 2.4 issues with r7000 should first dust off the inside of the unit, it worked for me. I tried flashing several firmware and nothing worked until I cleaned up the inside of the unit. Since then no more issues.
Message 48 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

Not even the beta is working now, I still have 2.4 and works but it goes in and out constantly. My alarm system only works with 2.4 and alerts me every time there is no connection... (which yesterday I stopped counting at 23).. Unacceptable, NETGEAR, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? FIX THIS ISSUE ALREADY, NEED TO START SUING YOU LIKE APPLE, YOU BREAKING YOUR OWN ROUTERS LIKE APPLE SLOWING DOWN OLD PHONES?
Message 49 of 71
rogier64
Luminary

After I flashed a new firmware, I never got the router stable again. Even flashing some older firmware versions did not solve my problems. You might think that there is a hardware problem, but flashing an alternative firmware solved all problems, so it is not the hardware but the firmware.

Message 50 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements