R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

HWAM
Apprentice

Re: No firmware seem to bring back 2.4

@rogier64 Same here. I can't explain why and old version with a lot of resetting isn't stable anymore.
Message 51 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

I'm really disappointed in netgear's customer service (they sent out a firmware that "broke" the product) they should either fix it or refund or even if it's out of warranty. It's obvious it's a software issue but no responsibility taken.
After reading all these posts and seeing people having success with third party software would someone be willing to private message me instructions on how to use third party software to fix netgear's total failure. (Still believe it was on purpose to sell me routers like Apple did with their phones)
Thank you!
Message 52 of 71
rogier64
Luminary

@Rjphllps7 wrote:
I'm really disappointed in netgear's customer service (they sent out a firmware that "broke" the product) they should either fix it or refund or even if it's out of warranty. It's obvious it's a software issue but no responsibility taken.
After reading all these posts and seeing people having success with third party software would someone be willing to private message me instructions on how to use third party software to fix netgear's total failure. (Still believe it was on purpose to sell me routers like Apple did with their phones)
Thank you!

Hi, did you manage yourself to setup the R7000 router before?

Message 53 of 71

I went to an asus router, done with netgear, I do believe it was intentional as I mentioned before, still may flash ddwrt or tomato on the netgear just to play around
Message 54 of 71
rogier64
Luminary

Flash XWRT-Vortex on your R7000 and you will see it becomes an Asus too :-)

Message 55 of 71
CaseyM
Aspirant

I have this same issue, but I've been investigating and I'm not sure it's soley Netgear's issue. Does anyone have a Google Home or Google Chromecast on their network? I got a few Home Minis around the holidays when I started seeing this issue and now there's this:

https://www.myce.com/news/confirmed-issue-google-cast-causes-temporarily-wifi-drops-around-world-834...

Still, hopefully either Netgear or Google will release updates to address this.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 56 of 71
JMDB1010
Guide

NO 2.4? DUST OFF THE INTERNAL COMPONENTS

I've tried every firmware and that's what did it - it was overheating and causing no 2.4. Haven't had a problem since. Using V1.0914

Message 57 of 71

I have the nest thermostat which is google now, in previous post i mentioned it when someone else mentioned the only new thing to their network was a google home, but I got a new router and not having the 2.4 issue on the same network so not sure, and I popped it open to check dust and its clean
Message 58 of 71
rogier64
Luminary

It is not overheated and it is not Google Cast that causes a faulty R7000, it is the buggy NG firmware. Just wait for new NG firmware or flash an alternate firmware like XWRT-Vortex or Tomato to solve all problems instantly.

Message 59 of 71

Got advanced tomato waiting, the new router is fine but going to flash that to the netgear to play with and keep as a backup
Message 60 of 71
CaseyM
Aspirant

I might agree with this, but I've downgraded firmware (to a version I know worked before I had the Cast devices) and factory reset the router and the problem still persists.

Maybe it's some combination of the two things?

Message 61 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

Just FYI on their R7000 website they released another beta https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx#Firmware Version 1.0.9.26 - Hot Fix and I just installed it.  It reports to fix wifi disconnect issues but I have not had it on long enough to test the full extent..  feel free to try it and let us all know.  More people testing it the better so its not an isolated problem!!...  glad to see something is finally getting accomplished..."MAYBE"

Message 62 of 71
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please try the new firmware and report back.

https://kb.netgear.com/000053870/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-26-Hot-Fix

Message 63 of 71
CaseyM
Aspirant

I installed v1.0.9.26 yesterday and haven't had any issues so far, but they sometimes take more than a day to show up. I'll report back if I have problems, but this looks good for the time being - thanks!

Message 64 of 71
JamesGL
Master

Hi CaseyM,

Looking forward for your feedback.

Message 65 of 71
CaseyM
Aspirant

After 3 days (which is longer than I've gone without issue since it started), everything has been working fine so it looks like the latest firmware fixed things (at least for me). Thanks!

Message 66 of 71
Rjphllps7
Star

I have the hot fix installed and it works pretty great but there are times my internet says it's connected and yet no internet traffic. I run a speed test and it says either no traffic or bad "something I can't remember". After reset of router it works fine again.. So this hot fix is better but not all there. Keep up the work and look forward to getting this back to when I first got this.. Great and working with no problems.

Would be nice if Netgear offered a upgrade program especially for the this debacle firmware issues.
Message 67 of 71
gdalsnes
Aspirant

I have V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 and lost 2.4 today. A reboot and it was back. At time of loosing it i could not connect to either 2.4 or 5, said " fetching ip address" (or somthing) on Android. This went on fot 5 minutes until i could connect to 5, but then 2.4 was gone. Bad bug. R6250 i had before did not have this problem.
Message 68 of 71
Sshskr44
Aspirant

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

Ok, so I've signed up for an account here just to get in on this after lurking for the past couple weeks. I updated on April 4th to V1.0.9.28_10.2.32. I had been having issues for a few weeks with the wifi dropping in and out, but had also noticed problems when wired directly to the modem. Spectrum came out, replaced an obsolete modem, re-terminated some cable, replaced 2 splitters and a 5 foot section of cable that a couple squirrels had chewed like a corn cob. The tech hooked up to the house with a piece of equipment and called the connection as good as it gets. Later that evening, the router began to have issues again.

After the download, I reset to factory defaults and rebuilt the router. I have some hardwired cameras and an NVR so I basically forwarded a couple ports and changed names. That all works well. I also have 3 Foscam R2 PTZ cameras running on wifi. They are only capable of running on the 2.4 Ghz band. Since the upgrade they don't even see the network. They will work when hard wired just fine. I was finally able to add them to the network using WPS. They don't show in my 'attached devices' screen, they don't show up in an ARP table, and I can't see them using the IP cam tool software from Foscam. BUT THEY WORK IN THE FOSCAM APP ON MY PHONE. I'm at a loss. The 2.4 band is not showing some other devices hooked to it either. When the 2.4 band does work it's super slow most of the time. I'm talking 12/5 on a 60/5 connection while the 5Ghz band is running 67/5.5. Is it time to just trash this thing?

Message 69 of 71
William10a
Master

Unless they give you a modem with a router in it. The 2.4 ghz wifi should not be brother by the modem it has to be working  for you to have a internet connection in the first place.  From what I have seen in all the postings about wifi issues with the R7000 and others routers on this site you are not alone.

People have done firmware updates,down dated their firmware and switch to other firmware with mixed results leading me to think that it is not all software or hardware but a mix of both the chip sets in the routers and some part a design error that may the real problem to touch so many devices.

Message 70 of 71
Sshskr44
Aspirant

Firmware on cameras was updated shortly before firmware on router, with no ill effects.

The NVR is a Q-See brand and is associated with 4 wired IP cameras. They and the NVR work great. It’s a QC818.
Message 71 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements