Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

@houseofbugs wrote:

@fishbone wrote:

Sorry, this may have been covered before but I am hesitant to re-read 30+ pages...

I realize starting with a fresh factory set is ideal, but...

Can I flash 1.0.4.28_1.1.64 and the settings from 1.0.6.28_1.1.83 survive?

Or can I save the 1.0.6 setting, flash and factory reset 1.0.4... and restore settings from that file?

Thanks.

Factory reset and manually re-enter your settings. I wouldn't recommend using your stored config file.

Correct.  Netgear introduced major changes to the configuration file format between 1.0.4.30 and 1.0.6.28.  Files from these two versions are incompatible and should not be interchanged.

Message 301 of 426
J_Gonzalez
Tutor

If you read one of my previous posts, I have a Linksys EA9200 (AC), that also is dropping the 2.4GHz channel.  Although with the Linksys, it doesn't drop it nearly as often as the Nethear R7000 does, I would say maybe once a month or once every other month.

Which is why I posed the question if it may be the chipsets being used in these AC routers.  I haven't been able to determine what chipset the Linksys uses.  I read that the netgear uses the Broadcom Xstream chipset, but I don't know if there are different versions of that chipset.

Message 302 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi J_Gonzalez, someone from our support team should have reached out to you today to gather your config file. Please let me know if that didn't happen. Thank you so much for your help!

Message 303 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Also, thank you for the description of the physical environment. I've shared that with the engineering team. That will help us understand what a noisy environment looks like to a customer and not just in a lab.

Message 304 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

After weeks of triying to get the netgear firmware to work, I gave up and installed tomato. it seems to be working ok thusfar, one day.

when and if netgear gets their act together i will revert back, I have a feeling that I will be using tomato for a long time.

Message 305 of 426
fishbone
Star

Ok, I was going to sit down and actually downgrade, but...

If I recall correctly the VPN component was upgraded in 1.0.5 to support OpenVPN TAP, which 1.0.4.30 doesn't - so rolling back is not workable as we've already made that switch and some clients only support TAP.

Bottom line - I need the fixed firmware.

Message 306 of 426
Splitcell
Aspirant

2.4ghz is too congested. It only has maybe 300 mbit in a good situation and you share that with all of your neighbors. This started about 4 years ago when YouTube and Netflix started offering 1080p video. These services use 6-8 mbit per stream according to those 2 providers. My household typically has 3 streams going on Friday nights and weekends. Multiply that by all the networks you scan around you and you will see that there is not enough to go around on the 2.4ghz frequency. This will eventually happen to 5ghz as well. 4k streaming uses 25 to 54 mbit, depending on compression type used. This is not a failing of your router, it is the end of life of this 25yr old technology.
Message 307 of 426
tn77
Star

Gee, I guess none of us is actually having a problem. Thanks so much for an unhelpful reply, newcomer!
Message 308 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

Splitcell - you are wrong for soooooo many reasons.
Message 309 of 426
oertje
Aspirant

Hoi,

I have problems,

since januari I had version 1.0.6.0.30 and it was ok, but since a  few days the wifi is not good, I must power off/on.

Which version is the best for now?

Message 310 of 426
Miked2
Apprentice

Hi, it has been about a month since this post.  When will 1.0.6.40 be released to the public? Thx

Message 311 of 426
J_Gonzalez
Tutor

The beta release was v1.1.10.167514, so I imagine any general release that comes out next will be 1.1.x.x

As an update, it's been 2 weeks since I went back to 1.0.4.28_1.1.64, and so far no problems.  With the other versions, the problem would appear after 3 or 4 days.  So looking good so far.

As I mentioned before, the one thing I did do different this time was to do a hard reset of the router after i updated the firmware, then reconfigure.  When I tried the other versions, including the beta version, I wasn't able to reset the router.  So I don't know if all the other firmware versions were still buggy, or if a hard reset was required.

if I had the time, I would install the beta firmware then do a hard reset and see if that's stable.

Message 312 of 426
jblackst2800
Tutor

I am using firmware version V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 and not having any problems with that. It has been over 3 weeks since I rolled back to this version.

Message 313 of 426
fengels
Aspirant

I have the same problem with version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83

Message 314 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi everyone, I apologize again for the delay. I talked to the engineering VP responsible for this software and the hope is that we can have updated beta firmware available mid next week, with a production version to follow. I know this is taking longer than I committed, but I'm doing my best to keep the issue prioritized within the engineering team. Thank you for your patience with us.

Message 315 of 426
avgUser
Aspirant

I have used firmware version V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 for 4 month when same happened 1st time to me 2 weeks ago. I have found and read most of the posts here (thanks for that) and returned back to 1.0.4.28_1.1.64, with no problems so far. I could preserve most config data except port forwarding, which needed a painful 20 minutes to manually set up again, without factory reset done.

The sad thing around this is, that when the unit was 1 month old, I have upgraded to V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 (to a well known bad firmware version for all others involved) but realized that I have lost portt forwarding setup. Having been still in support I wrote this to the support. As you can expect the existing issue with 2.4 GHz connection  was not even mentioned by them. Of course, the config loss due to firmware upgrade is still not solved which is a joke. 

Message 316 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

I gave up on Netgear releasing a stable firmware, from my trusty 3500L, wndr3700 v1 and some older ones to my new paper weight R7000 (thank you netgear), btw I still have all my netgear stuff, yep never know when you going to need it, I purchased my last netgear product, if I'm going to spend over $150 on any product I expect a level of support, I understand hardware fails and I am ok with that, this wasn't a hardware failure unlike some of you like to believe, this was caused by the release of buggy firmware.

Been using Advance Tomato and is ok thusfar.

Message 317 of 426
fishbone
Star

Just so there's no confusion...

It's quiet because there is nothing else to be said about the problems right now, not because we lost interest in the update...

Message 318 of 426
J_Gonzalez
Tutor

For me, it's been a month since I rolled back to 1.0.4.28_1.1.64 (did a hard reset after installing that firmware) and so far we've had no problems.  Normally we would have the 2.4Ghz channel choke after 3 or 4 days.  So this tells me that it's definitely a firmware issue, which I believe is the position of Netgear.

Since the office needs are simple, I don't feel that I'm losing any features.  When netgear does finally come out with the latest working firmware, I would consider upgrading right away if there were performance improvements, otherwise I may wait a while to see how things settle down.

Message 319 of 426
Brain150
Aspirant

Message 320 of 426
oertje
Aspirant

Since today my wifi  is bad and I had version ....28 , so I had a restart and put the wifi button on and off, but all my port forwarding was disapeared! when I look in the router.

What is going on Netgear????

We are still waiting for a solution.

My cams are suddenly very slow.

What must I do now, Is the version Tomato an solution?

The version....28 was stable for about 3 weeks. What a mess Netgear!!!!!

Message 321 of 426
fishbone
Star

We depend on the enhanced OpenVPN implementation of 1.0.5+ which made things easier on mobile, so 1.0.4 is not an option unfortunately.

I am somewhat baffled why it takes Netgear so long to fix known show-stopping issues on a high end product.

There seem to be organizational issues not being able to prioritize it with engineering.

This month is bad timing for experiments on a critical component in our network, but if we don't get a solution in the coming weeks I may give Tomato a shot.

That said, I selected this router to have a reliable high end device that we can count on and generally don't have to think about, not to have a gadget to tinker around with.

Message 322 of 426
KazzMANIA
Apprentice

I too am now getting pissed off. It should not take this long to fix a known firmware issue. I have been buying and recommending netgear routers for many years. I think it's time to consider other options going forward.
Message 323 of 426
Leonardo34
Aspirant

I too getting issues... Hope the 2.4ghz gets fixed soon.
And when doing a factory reset, instead of reconfiguring everthing afterwards, is it ok to just use my settings backup to get everthing back right away or its not recommended?
Thx
Message 324 of 426
oertje
Aspirant

After a broke of my power 230V all my cams have an other port. I have versionV1.0.4.30_1.1.67

Pff I do not know what I must do.

Netgear what is going wrong . It was a expensive router. and I hear nothing from you.

Message 325 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7