Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

123DaveG
Tutor

Re: R7000 2.4ghz not working but 5ghz is fine

I do not see it that way. When I called support they expressed no responsibility and assured me they could fix it, if I paid $139. I will reseach new router options, but I will never consider Netgear.

Message 226 of 426
tn77
Star

Yes, their initial responses were horrible. Once I contacted the CEO, everyone in their company understood the magnitude of the issue. I'd consider Netgear in a heartbeat; this router was perfect for 16 months, and it's been fixed since the hotfix. It stinks that their engineering and testing missed this, but ASUS routers (and a few others I've used) aren't in the same league.

Message 227 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

My call was today.  Acted like they never heard of the problem. I asked to speak to a supervisor since they would not help without payment. They said supervisor was busy and I should call back later. They broke the unit with the new firmware and I suspect the reason was to accommodate the Arlo products. I think this is unforgivable behavior. I have had other routers and replaced them because they were outdated and newer products offered new features. I have spent many hours working on this problem. I buy products to save time and enjoy not to spend frustrating hours of my time attempting to make them work. Sorry for the rant just really disappointed.

Message 228 of 426
Nifer
NETGEAR Employee

Hi 123DaveG, if you are still experiencing this issue after downgrading and resetting, please send me a private message with your contact information and I'll ask a support engineer to call you. This temporary workaround has been successful for others, but if that's not working for you, we'd like to understand your issue. I apologize for the work you've invested in first upgrading and then rolling back firmware. Thank you for your feedback on this issue.

Message 229 of 426
tn77
Star

Yeah, when I initially called about the issue I was just trying to point their attention to this known issue; they also acted like they had no idea about this. I flat-out refused to discuss money or warranty, and I wasn't going to let them start any troubleshooting steps; I just wanted to discuss the firmware. It did get through to a supervisor, however, and a case was started for me. That wasn't enough so I contacted the CEO, and (unlike many corporations) after that they went and got a fix pretty fast. I've had no issues.

It is disappointing, and the Arlo crap is likely the cause. But I have worked in software for many years; crap happens. It took them a while, but they finally responded with a fix. Not sure why you don't have that fix, but if the full firmware fix is coming next week, for my money I'd wait on that fix rather than go shop or configure a new one. This router has been 100% reliable for me except for about four weeks between firmware upgrading and getting the hotfix.

Message 230 of 426
abhishekrs
Aspirant

I re-installed the last firmware and it seems to have worked - maybe netgear silently fixed it without bumping up the version 🙂

Message 231 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

using 1.0.6.40 now and all seems well, then again I had no issues with 1.0.6.28. The GUI is faster in this version though, I wish you would set Arlo to opt in, rather than have it opt out. Many peopole wont use Arlo so that should not be enabled by default. So far so good though.

Message 232 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Just because it was working perfectly till you changed firmware does not mean its not hardware. Updating firmware taxes the router, so it could well be a hardware issue that was there or developing and the firmware update has pushed the router and now that issue is showing up. and I would look into this as a hardware issue. I have not personally had any issues with 2.4Ghz on either 1.0.6.28 or 1.0.6.40.
Message 233 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

In this new firmware '1.0.6.40' under QOS WMM for 5Ghz it says says (5Ghz 802.11a/n) it used to say in previous revisons it said (5Ghz 802.11a/n/ac) has wmm been removed for 802.11ac or is it a typo in the firmware?

Message 234 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

I came across this site searching as to why my 2.4 stopped working, I see why now.

I now have a very expensive router that it is unusable because of the consequences of netgear distibuting experimental firmware to use us, the consumers, as their test bed.

I own several netgear products to include powerline and switches , time to find out a more reliable source for my home networking needs.

spent 2 days trying to figured this out.

so netgear rep, what's the way ahead?

Message 235 of 426
123DaveG
Tutor

Some owners have had success rolling back to an older firmware version,  When I did this 2.4ghz worked again but at intervals of 1/2 to 24 hours wifi just stops working. I have to turn the router off and then on. This has been going on for a while. I wonder why all units do not behave the same way. Maybe there are a variety of components used so that some units worked and others had problems. As one of the previous posters stated, this may be a hardware problem.

Message 236 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

updated to the latest beta firmware (they all beta if you ask me), still issues with the 2.4,  wife's laptop only connects to 2.4 and she is not happy, thanks netgear!!

will try an earlier version and see what happens.

Message 237 of 426
cruxrealm
Aspirant

The beta firmware 1.0.6.40 works on my router.   2.4/5 works after upgrade/reboots including wireless cams and wireless repeater.   I did not do any reset and no issues/disconnects encountered so far. Running for 3 days now. 

I just disabled ARLO today since I am not using it.   It is on by default. 

Message 238 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Did you reset the router after updating? Does your wifes laptop have 5Ghz?

Message 239 of 426
cruxrealm
Aspirant

I did not reset the router.   I loaded the firmware and after the reboot,  all services worked fine for both 2.4/5 ghz

All  wifi devices I tested so far have no issues:

The dual band repeater and dell laptop use  both 2.4/5 ghz.

Webcams, game consoles, rpi and hp laptop use only 2.4 ghz.

Apple mac/tv use only 5ghz.

No drops so far for the 24/7 running repeater and webcams.

If you are going to use the beta firmware,  just make sure you backup your router config and have a copy of your current working firmware handy in case you want to go downgrade.

Message 240 of 426
david-net
Aspirant

Also, try to change the 5ghz band channel
Message 241 of 426
mkruger
Aspirant

Hi,

I have updated to the firmware provided (1.0.6.40) but I am still not able to get my devices online on the 2.4GHz. They show up under the attached devices, but have no hostname associated and don't get an IP address. They worked on 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and not in 1.0.6.28 so something broke the 2.4GHz in this release.

Starting to doubt that this issue will be fixed or is even being addressed, since it is still present in the Beta.

Message 242 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

Did you hard reset the router and enter settings manually? I have had no issue with 2.4Ghz on any builds recently.  Also if under warranty it could be hardware. 

Message 243 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

I tried 4.28 and still having issues, the fact that everything I've read here states that the only thing that changed when the issues appeared is the upgrade to the new firmware discard the hardware unless the firmware that was loaded caused it. in my case everything has been working for months until i upgraded and yes I'm out of warranty.

again netgear rep, what's the way ahead?

Message 244 of 426
rpoffen
Virtuoso

@neonflx2 wrote:

I tried 4.28 and still having issues, the fact that everything I've read here states that the only thing that changed when the issues appeared is the upgrade to the new firmware discard the hardware unless the firmware that was loaded caused it. in my case everything has been working for months until i upgraded and yes I'm out of warranty.

again netgear rep, what's the way ahead?

I read all three of your posts and not once did you say if you tried a hard reset to factory defaults followed by a manual reconfiguration. This has been mentioned many times in these threads concerning the R7000 firmware.

If you have not done this, then I suggest you try it. Most everyone who had problems at some point solved it by performing this reset (this is NOT a simple reboot or power cycle, it is erasing all your settings back to factory defaults and entering your setup as if from scratch)

Message 245 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

I have done that everytime I flashed the firmware, any other suggestions?
Message 246 of 426
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Do you have your 2.4G band set to auto channel, or do you have a specific one selected?

You can try setting your channel to one that is least used by others in your neighborhood. Try to pick channels 1, 6 or 11 since they don't overlap with each other.

Message 247 of 426
neonflx2
Tutor

I have try auto and channel 7-9 since my closest neighbor is 1/4 of mile away not to worry about interference.

Message 248 of 426
stevehale70
Tutor

I was running AdvancedTomato and thought I would try the new beta. 5ghz band is about 50% through put, so back to AdvancedTomato until Netgear can produce a functioning firmware
Message 249 of 426
Killhippie
Prodigy

I honestly can't see it being Netgears firmware but you never know, unless there is a batch of routers that have with certain hardware configuration issues. I know quite a few people with R7000 routers and no one has issues like this. Maybe it's to do with returning from third party firmwares? I am totally lost on this. 

Message 250 of 426
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7