Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 5Ghz WiFi speeds

evilhomer1
Tutor

R7000 5Ghz WiFi speeds

Hi all, I have an AC1900 router connected to an ARRIS SURFboard SB6190.

I'm subscribed to Xfinity Internet on the Blast plan and can verify that I get 200+ Mbps when wired directly into the modem.

Once I connect the router, I'm running both a 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi network but both are capping out around 40Mbps.

I've done a factory reset and upgraded to the newest firmware but I'm still having the issue.

In the past, I've gotten over 150+Mbps on the 5Ghz network and I can't figure out why the speed is 1/3 of what it previously was.

Anyone have any ideas?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
evilhomer1
Tutor

Re: R7000 5Ghz WiFi speeds

I finally figured out the solution.

The QOS database was out-of-date.

Even though I don't have QOS on, apparently this can still impact the speeds because I'm back to running normally now.

To manually update the database, I checked the Enable QOS checkbox and then pressed the Update Now button.

Hopefully this will help others.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

You recently updated the firmware but did you reset and re-enter your settings or re-load old saved settings?

Is QoS enabled? If so is the speed setting correct? If you disable it, does that correct the problem? WMM must be enabled though.

Message 2 of 13
evilhomer1
Tutor

Hi, I factory reset all settings before upgrading firmware.

Once upgraded, the only settings I changed were my WiFi network names.

QoS is turned off but WMM is turned on.

Message 3 of 13
Pirat28
Aspirant

I have the same problem. It started with the firmware version V1.0.9.10 (I like to call this on "The Disney circle update") and include also the firmware version V1.0.9.12.

So I switched back to version V1.0.9.6 where the 5Ghz WiFi speed is ok.

I'm in contact with the Netgear support, but at the moment they found no real solution for my problem.

Message 4 of 13
evilhomer1
Tutor

Even though I don't have QOS on, apparently this can still impact the speeds because I'm back to running normally now.

To manually update the database, I checked the Enable QOS checkbox and then pressed the Update Now button.

Message 5 of 13
IcyTexx
Aspirant

Oh my god, you're my hero.

This is such a random and weird bug/problem.

I have FTTH 200/100mbps, I was getting the full speed on my laptop, and on my iOS devices (all 5GHz AC) download was capped at exactly 45mbps, and upload worked normally. It seems your solution worked, now I'm getting full speeds on all devices.

Thanks again!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 13
IrvSp
Master

I can't say that this alone is the fix?

I have 100/10 Mbps service.

For testing I've been using an iPad Pro 5Ghz connection on the latest IOS (11.1.2). I use SpeedTest's app usually.

First let me say I never 'saw' the problem as even at 50 Mbps it was plenty enough for my purposes and only 3 other 5G devices in use and basically only one other at the same time. That speed was fast enough that there was no notice of a slowdown.

Additionally, the iPad was used some distance away from the router, and speeds below 100 Mbps when testing were common.

So after seeing your post I brought the iPad near the router and tested before doing anything. I looked at the RESULTS and up until 10/22 I was getting 114/11, and some of those tests were a distance away from the router. Now prior to 9/16 the results were quite different and even sometimes on the same day. The down speed varied greatly, from 13 to 114 with almost everything in between,  even when tested 2 minutes later. What I can't say is WHEN any specific F/W was installed... but I suspect it was the 2 before this one.

That said, the first thing I checked was the database date/version.

Version: v1.170,0.0.11

Release Date: 2017/07/23

Checked and it was the latest.

So I ran Speedtest, 76/11 Mbps???? Hmm... Another test, last night after I read this, 46/11 Mbps? Odd?

So I decided to ENABLE QoS and run the speed test there, 114/11 Mbps. I then set the router with this.

Test results were pretty poor, 17/11 Mbps (btw, most test are using the same servers that are fairly local to me)????

I then DISABLED QoS and reset the router. Poof, back to 113/11 Mbps.

So since I wasn't out of date for the database I doubt that either it was the cause or everyone is out of date.

So I'm more thinking it is the QoS speeds that are stored with the flash possibly? However I'm thinking that QoS doesn't only effect Wireless but all types of connections (otherwise it would be useless)? So QoS and its database probably aren't the answer here? More an internal flash problem that somehow is corrected by enabling QoS, running the speed test, setting the router for them, and once rebooted, disabling QoS. Of course, I could be completely wrong?

If a test on a wired PC with QoS off didn't see the same problem as a Wireless device I don't see how QoS could have been the cause?

Message 7 of 13
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

Would you try this trial FW ?

I think it can fix this issue.

https://ntgr-my.sharepoint.com/personal/jackchen1_netgear_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=118...

Message 8 of 13
Hoyty
Apprentice

@evilhomer1 wrote:

I wish I had found this two weeks ago. This should be official response from Netgear support after firmware upgrade.

Message 9 of 13
acford
Guide

Wow! I work in the IT field and I have a good working knowledge of networks, routers, etc. I don’t know how you were able to figure out updating the QoS database. I’m subscribed to the Blast! service with Comcast and was getting 150mbps...even on WiFi. I did a random speed test this morning and was capped at 35mbps. I tried rebooting the router and changing channels but nothing got me over 35mbps until I performed the QoS database update and now I’m back to 150mbps. Amazing! I also never use QoS and had it disabled and still have it disabled. 

NETGEAR - Obviously this is a bug that needs to be addressed. There is no way for the average consumer to figure out an issue like this, especially with QoS being disabled. I certainly had no idea until I found this thread. Please fix this ASAP. Otherwise, consumers using this router are only leveraging less than half of their available bandwidth. 

Message 10 of 13
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi acford,
Did you use the latest FW ?
Thanks
Message 11 of 13
Pirat28
Aspirant

The 5GHz Bug was fixed with the last firmware 1.0.9.18 !

I was one of the firmware beta testers for this 5GHz bug, becasue my 5GHz net was running very slowly and I had to fall back to the firmware 1.0.9.6. It needed some weeks to get it fixed.

Thanks a lot to the Netgear QA & Support Team!

Message 12 of 13
windsaga
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Pirat28,

Thanks for your confirmation and affirmation.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7