Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 5ghz Disappearing

NCJeepMan
Aspirant

R7000 5ghz Disappearing

Seems to be a lot of independent questions/discussions on or this topic or similar topics... Looking for someone to give me a definitive answer, so here's the question:

- My R7000 periodically and randomly drops the 5ghz band and all devices connected to it lose connection - the 5ghz network SSID is not broadcasting.

- When looking at the router admin page, it SAYS the 5ghz is running and normal.

- Requires complete unplugging and reboot before 5ghz shows back up again.

This is an expensive router so I am not happy that it is flaky and requires this kind of baby sitting. Anyone have a suggestion?
Message 1 of 64

Accepted Solutions
bill__schroeder
Initiate

I've been running Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 for a few months now without any 5GHz dropping.  The big tip that helped me, was after doing the firmware update, I did a factory reset to reset all of the settings to default, and it also forces the router to get new internal drivers for itself.  Before I did this, I was always losing my 5GHz.

View solution in original post

Message 64 of 64

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would think if the SSID has stopped broadcasting that the 5g radio may be failing, Unless you have selected do not broadcast SSID. Your post, to me is not clear on the SSID. You might try a factory reset and see if it continues.
Message 2 of 64
naholmes
Novice

I think I have a similar problem. I only have a couple of 5 GHz devices and when I go to use them (infrequently) they usually cannot connect to the router. The only way to make it work is to unplug the router and plug it back in. I've never actually experienced a dropped connection but I hardly ever use the 5 GHz band for more than a couple hours at a time.

I opened a ticket with support and it's been open for months. They tried giving me beta firmware which didn't do anything. They wanted me to capture the drop with wireshark but that has never happened to me and wireshark doesn't capture anything when my laptop is just unable to connect.

Now I'm in the RMA process and getting a new unit. I really doubt that's going to work it seems like a software problem because it always works after a power cycle. It sucks too because i have to pay to ship the old unit back.
Message 3 of 64
bill1228
Guide

Would be helpful if folks stated what version of firmware you are running. I am running latest V1.0.3.68_1.1.31 and 5G is solid for me. When folks state they have had a ticket open for a long time I always wonder if they have tried the latest firmware.
--bill
Message 4 of 64
NCJeepMan
Aspirant

I have latest firmware V1.0.3.68_1.1.31. To the question of SSID, the SSID is set to broadcast, but drops from view on all devices that can utilize the 5ghz band (I have several). When it drops, my devices reconnect to the 2.4ghz band. Only happens to 5ghz band. As I stated, the only way to get 5ghz back is to unplug the router and let it sit for a minute or two.
Message 5 of 64
naholmes
Novice

I'm currently on the latest .68 version of the firmware. I've tried five different firmware versions with the same problem. Also tried SSID broadcast / don't broadcast, changing channels, changing SSID and passwords, all types of security including and no security at all. The problem is always the same, once it occurs devices cannot connect to the 5GHz band. Even with no security devices go through the connection sequence but then are unable to connect. The only way to resolve it is to power cycle the router. Never had an issue with 2.4 GHz.
Message 6 of 64
naholmes
Novice

Also I should have added that I have tried both software resets and hard resets (paper clip method).

I received the new router just now. I'll post an update later this week as to whether that resolves the problem or not.
Message 7 of 64
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I think most of you experience this issue with the latest firmware. How about the previous firmwares?
Message 8 of 64
naholmes
Novice

I had the same problem with the original firmware (not sure the version), .56, .60, .68, and a beta version provided by support (between .60 and .68).
Message 9 of 64
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please try a new beta firmware. You may click on the link below to download it.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=LHmWIBPWI0
Message 10 of 64
RogerSC
Virtuoso

minions08,

Thanks for passing this along to users, really appreciated.
Message 11 of 64
NetgearN00b
Aspirant

Hi all,

For those of you who have tried it, how has the beta firmware minions08 sent performed for you?

I noticed I was having the 5Ghz start to disappear from my phone last night after upgrading to the 68 firmware.

Thanks
Message 12 of 64
bill1228
Guide

Have installed the beta firmware. Working fine for me but I only do routing, wired and wireless and USB3 share.

iPhones are famous for needing to remove the wireless profile (connection) and recreate. Not sure what happens but it is like with the updates there is something with the router firmware that the iPhone does not like until the profile is deleted. Have seen this on PC's as well but not as often.
--bill
Message 13 of 64
NetgearN00b
Aspirant

Hi Bill.

I appreciate the feedback.

I have an Android phone.
I've been thinking about it while at work and could be that I was just getting out of the 5GHz range.

I'll find out when I go back home.

Again, thanks for the quick reply.
Message 14 of 64
fibercarbon
Tutor

minions08 wrote:
Please try a new beta firmware. You may click on the link below to download it.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=LHmWIBPWI0

any changelog for this or eta on final release?
Message 15 of 64
sutedy
Guide

NetgearN00b,

I tried R7000-V1.0.3.80_1.1.38.chk but it is not stable you should try version

R7000-V1.0.4.4_1.1.37 at ftp://downloads.netgear.com/temp/
Message 16 of 64
naholmes
Novice

I received a new router by RMA and it's having the exact same problem as before. Connectivity to 5 GHz radio is lost after a period of time requiring the router to be power cycled.
Message 17 of 64
Redtulips7
Luminary

naholmes wrote:
I received a new router by RMA and it's having the exact same problem as before. Connectivity to 5 GHz radio is lost after a period of time requiring the router to be power cycled.

did you try on new Firmware yet?
Message 18 of 64
Fairytail
Virtuoso

any changelog for this or eta on final release?

It is now released in support site.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25737
Message 19 of 64
naholmes
Novice

Redtulips7 wrote:
did you try on new Firmware yet?

Nope. I just received new hardware last week and installed it on Wednesday and was waiting for the problem to manifest, which happened this morning. I will give this new "fix" a try tonight but I will not know if it worked until this weekend but the problem only occurs after a few days up to a week.
Message 20 of 64
covillen1
Apprentice

Just in case if anyone wants to read what they did in this version here is the link

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25737
Message 21 of 64
naholmes
Novice

My problem was resolved by the .80 firmware. The 5 GHz band has been available for 6 days without rebooting since I installed .80. It doesn't sound like a lot but that's longest it's worked in the 3 months I've owned the router.
Message 22 of 64
Nef99
Aspirant

I'm going to add myself to the list of people experiencing this problem. I've noticed it a number of times, and have found that a hard reset of the router keeps it going for a few days until this starts again. No indication on the router login page that there are any issues. Instead I've taken to running Vistumbler to identify the radio signal actually completely dropping, leading me to think this is a manufacturing defect. I'm running firmware V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 http://s28.postimg.org/p14luy4lp/5_Ghz_OK.png Purple Boxes show a non SSID broadcasting 5Ghz signal properly broadcasting. http://s28.postimg.org/esc4p4gjx/5_Ghz_Stopped.png Purple Boxes show the same non SSID boradcasting 5Ghz signal has stopped. Throughout, the 2.7Ghz with SSID is solid. I think I'm going to be sending this back to Netgear to see if a newer hardware revision gets rid of these problems. I've had this router since January 2014.
Message 23 of 64
VishnuT
Aspirant

I bought two R7000 routers in the first week of November and I didn't face this problem at all

This seems like a manufacturing defect in some early batches of routers
Message 24 of 64
Loudog2
Apprentice

mine does this periodically. It will still show the 5G broadcast on device but devices drop the connection. A unplug hard reset is the only thing that gets everything reconnected.
Message 25 of 64
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7