Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 5ghz not stable

ov10mech
Star

R7000 5ghz not stable

Running latest firmware V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 -   Multiple devices connected to the 5GHZ side are very unstable.   If you do a constant ping to the router you can see the dropped packets as shown in attachment   2.4ghz is fine but I need the speed of 5.  I have tried messing with the 5ghz channels with no luck.  This is in a single family home so neightbors are not too close.  Anyone else have this issue and anything I can try.  I need to try another vendor if I cant fix this.  WPA2-PSK [AES] if that matters.  Also did complete factory reset recently.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 5ghz not stable

Agreed, many people are having issues with the current firmware. You can downgrade to earlier firmwares though. Have you tried this? 

@TheEther wrote a great response to someone on how to do so. its here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-to-Downgrade-Firmware-on-Nighthawk-R7000...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
ov10mech
Star

After reading through through more posts there seems to be a lot of people having issues with the 5G side.  

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Agreed, many people are having issues with the current firmware. You can downgrade to earlier firmwares though. Have you tried this? 

@TheEther wrote a great response to someone on how to do so. its here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-to-Downgrade-Firmware-on-Nighthawk-R7000...

Message 3 of 6
ov10mech
Star

I will give that a try.  What version is considered stable?  I only use simple port forwarding and WIFI in the house.   

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

@ov10mech wrote:

I will give that a try.  What version is considered stable?  I only use simple port forwarding and WIFI in the house.   

Nothings ever really perfectly stable or manufacturers wouldn't update firmware. With that said, I've heard good things about the .42 firmware. If you're a more advanced user you can always look into dd-wrt but that'd be a different forum 🙂 

Message 5 of 6
ov10mech
Star

Re: R7000 5ghz not stable - fixed

Downgraded last night to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 - Didnt do any of the factory reset stuff.   It's a world of difference.  Not a single ping lost in hours and noticed the latencey is not all over the place like it was.  The internet seems so much snappier like I am hard wired.   Lesson leared : Dont upgrade just to upgrade.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7