Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 AC1900 Allow guests to see each other and access my local network

longs91peak
Aspirant

R7000 AC1900 Allow guests to see each other and access my local network

I expect the answer is simple, but I don't know it and can't find one via searches

When checking the 2.4 Guest Wireless 'Allow guests to see each other and access my local network', which of the following does 'local network' refer to?

• 2.4 Guest Wireless
  • 5.0 Guest Wireless
  • 2.4 Wireless (not Guest)
  • 5.0 Wireless (not Guest)
  • Wired ethernet
  • All of the above

Thanks very much!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
NwSkier
Initiate

Local network refers to your LAN which includes all enabled interfaces OTHER than guest networks. The guest network allows access to the WAN but is segmented from your LAN, much like Comcast uses their Xfinity wifi hotspots broadcast from customer's access points.

When you check the option you are referring to, this basically bridges the two network segments and allows your guest access to your LAN like any other interface. Great for testing or allowing temp access, but essentially removing the whole reason you'd want then to use the guest network in the first place. I mean unless you really don't want then to know your primary interface passwords.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
NwSkier
Initiate

Local network refers to your LAN which includes all enabled interfaces OTHER than guest networks. The guest network allows access to the WAN but is segmented from your LAN, much like Comcast uses their Xfinity wifi hotspots broadcast from customer's access points.

When you check the option you are referring to, this basically bridges the two network segments and allows your guest access to your LAN like any other interface. Great for testing or allowing temp access, but essentially removing the whole reason you'd want then to use the guest network in the first place. I mean unless you really don't want then to know your primary interface passwords.
Message 2 of 3
longs91peak
Aspirant

@NwSkier wrote:

Thanks for the great explanation!  It is as I suspected.

I have all of my IOT devices on the Guest network in order to segregate them from my local network.  I found the ' Allow guests to see each other and access my local network' checkbox when I put the Chromecast on the Guest network!

I don't want the checkbox checked, so what to do with the Chromecast??

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7