× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R7000 AC1900 Bling power light after failed firmware update

My R7000  router failed during a firmware update.  The power light is blinking.   I would like to know how I can manually install the update.  

I read several posts and tried the various factor resets.  I have tried to connect my desktop to the routher with an ethernet cord, however it doesn't connect to the routerlogin.net. 

I have downloaded the latest version to my desktop.

I appreciate any guidance you can provdie.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 68
Highlighted
Master

Re: R7000 AC1900 Bling power light after failed firmware update

The firmware on the router is corrupt caused by whatever the failure was. Here is a way to get things back again following these instructions. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 68
Highlighted
Sensei

> My R7000  router failed during a firmware update.  The power light is
> blinking.

You may be a candidate for the TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for
example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

That thread refers to a particular KB article:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/

which Netgear (in its wisdom) seems to have removed, leading to a
blank/useless error page, rather than to its apparent replacement:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/

Also:
      https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/

Message 3 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Bill -

That worked for me. 

Just to clarify, I connected my pc to the router using one of the 4 ports, not the yellow port.  Only one of the 4 would connect to the router.

Thank-you.

Message 4 of 68
Highlighted
Master

That is correct for the recovery you use one of the 4 Ethernet ports. 

Glad you got it recovered. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 68
Highlighted

There is a newer version of that TFTP article for Windows users:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It takes on board the fact that TFTP is a part of Windows.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thankyou for the reply's everyone. I will check out all the information supplied and try to fix the issue. I'm not very techy though so it will be a challenge.

Cheers

Message 7 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have downloaded the firmware update zip file but the extension is bin, not as stated in the notes, quote - The firmware file format is either a .img or .chk file.

Is this correct?

Message 8 of 68
Highlighted
Master

@Siouxzq wrote:

I have downloaded the firmware update zip file but the extension is bin, not as stated in the notes, quote - The firmware file format is either a .img or .chk file.

Is this correct?

Where site did you download this from? For Netgear 7000 the latest download file ends with .chk. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 9 of 68
Highlighted

as @myersw says, you need a chk file.

Find it here:

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.34 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That also explains how to upload it to your router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Many thanks to all who contributed here.  This thread got me back up and runnin'!

Message 11 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for the guidance, for I hav not tried it yet but I’m sure it will fix. Thanks!
Message 12 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

What if the TFTP method doesn't solve the blinking amber problem? Are there any other steps that I can do? I installed the new firmware thru TFTP and it's been like an hour and the router still blinks amber. I presume since I can ping gateway successfully this is not a hardware problem?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 68
Highlighted

@r0218 wrote:

I installed the new firmware thru TFTP and it's been like an hour and the router still blinks amber. I presume since I can ping gateway successfully this is not a hardware problem?

Try again?

Perhaps using older firmware.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 68
Highlighted
Master

The tftp method may take a few trys to get it. There is a small window when you can do the actual tftp command. Make sure you are following all steps. Have done tftp on a r8000 and it can be tricky to get it. 

There is another method, but it requires a serial to USB cable and opening the router covers voiding warranty.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 15 of 68
Highlighted

The recent Firmware bricked my router.

Thanks for all the messages and replies.

The solutions (including Factory Reboot/nuclear solution) FAILED because the Router is UNRESPONSIVE. No communication with the router seems possible. My computer can not 'see' the router and a scan of the Router (wired or WiFi) does NOT show this Router.  "I thinks it dead, Jim" . . .

I'm out $172 for a new router.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE UNTIL NETGEAR FIXES THE CORRUPT CODE

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 16 of 68
Highlighted

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE UNTIL NETGEAR FIXES THE CORRUPT CODE

Corrupt code would hit everyone. More likely to be a glitch in the update process.

Most experienced users steer clear of offers to update firmware over wifi and/or using the automated download process.

It is better to download the firmware and then to use the manual update procedure described in the release notes.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 68
Highlighted
Sensei

> The recent Firmware bricked my router.

_Which_ "The recent Firmware"?

> The solutions (including Factory Reboot/nuclear solution) FAILED
> because the Router is UNRESPONSIVE. [...]

"UNRESPONSIVE" when you do _what_?

If you want to deal with your own situation, then starting your own,
new thread (with some actual information) might make more sense than
ranting in this old thread.

Message 18 of 68
Highlighted

Then Netgear needs to give cautions regarding using their App or Web Browser to up date.

I have read many other posts. Seems that some of the Community have figured out that downloading the update, then manually applying it works.

That should be included in NETGEAR's Email.  DO NOT USE OUR APP or allow the automated Browser-based page to apply the updates.  

I still don't understand why the App process won't work. In theory it should be doing the same steps as the Manual Method ?

Message 19 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mine seems to be bricked as well. I can't even perform a factory reset. I'll be trying the tftp...but just know you're not the only one.
Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 20 of 68
Highlighted
Master

Might be helpful to others to know what process you used for the upgrade. From app, from browser logged into router and to update firmware or did you do manually. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 21 of 68
Highlighted

The update in question. I am trying (again) to get through the steps outlined in the "TFTP" work-around. I can not get passed step 2.b. For Windows 10. Right-clicking on "Ethernet" gives me a box with "Pin To Start", not Step 2.c. ("Properties".  Not being a PC guy, I'm not sure where to fine "Properties" as clicking on "Ethernet" in the left-side margin does not yeild "Properties" option on the right side.  So this metheod fails too.

ave the following updates available:
R7000
Download the latest firmware here
Latest firmware version: v1.0.9.64
Message 22 of 68
Highlighted

First Attempt was using the phone - Netgear App. While sitting alongside the router.. appeared to have downloaded (gave a signal it did), and then "installing" message... then every devce went dark for the next 20-25 minutes.

I did a factory reset, then went to my MacBook pro (in another room) and attempted the same using the web-app.. no joy there either. 

Lesson learned, do not use automated methods to take delivery and apply updates.

I am trying the TFTP method from a PC in the house. I get stumped at step 2.c. - selecting "Ethernet" from ""Network Connections".. The step states right-click on "Ethernet" and select "Properties"..  I right-click on "Ethernet" and get a dialog box stating "Pin to Start" ..?

How do I get to "Properties" of the Ethernet option? The 
"Search" box comes up with "No Results" when I search for Ethernet Properties. as well (not a PC guy here). Windows 10 here. Maybe that's the problem.

Message 23 of 68
Highlighted

I managed to to get the "Properties" sectio. Selected static, put in  the IP address.. Went to Cmd and after holding downthe rest button and turning on the router, then went to Cmd and hit enter (with the appropriate entry) - got this message:

" 'tftp' is not recognized as an internal or external command " .

Is there another way to do this in Windows 10 ??

Message 24 of 68
Highlighted

@buster_petaluma wrote:

got this message:

" 'tftp' is not recognized as an internal or external command " .

Is there another way to do this in Windows 10 ??

Have you enabled TFTP in Windows 10?

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

See the note at the end. It takes you here:

What Windows 10’s “Optional Features” Do, and How to Turn Them On or Off

Just another user.

Message 25 of 68