Highlighted
Master

Re: R7000 AC1900 Bling power light after failed firmware update

The 169.254.227.39 address says you did not get an IP address from DHCP. 

It sounded like you were saying at one point that you were setting the IP address on the PC to 192.168.1.1. That would be the address of the router. You need to use something else liike 192.168.1.10.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 51 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

Thanks for the reply.

Apologies, let me clarify - in the network device IPv4 properties I set the IP address to 192.168.1.10, and the default gateway address to 192.168.1.1 (as per the instructions). The subnet mask is self populating.

I used the 192.168.1.1 address in the host field in the Tftp software - maybe this should have been the PC IP address of 192.168.1.10 ?

Colin

Message 52 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

Well I tried again from scratch, and got something to happen using the Windows 10 TFTP client.

It came up with a message saying that transfer was successful.

After a few minutes, the power light turned solid orange and stayed orange for about 10 minutes - I was about to pull everything apart again, when it suddenly turned solid white and the internet light came on.

I have checked and the firmware is back where it was before I believe, which is the same as the firmware version I used for the transfer via TFTP.

I am very hesitant to try the firmware update again.

Message 53 of 68
Highlighted

@CCNE37 wrote:

I entered the command tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R7000-V1.0.9.64_10.2.64.chk into cmd.

I did ask you to tell us what happened when you issued those TFTP commands. The results can be important. In this case, I suspect that nothing happened because of the order in which you did this stuff.

It is usually better to follow instructions and not to make up things as you go along. That one, for example, seems to have been done in the wrong order.

You do the TFTP  stuff after all the other things that you say that you did next:

@CCNE37 wrote:

I turned off the R7000, plugged in the network cable to my desktop PC, turned the router back on, waited for the solid orange power light to start flashing white.

I then pressed Enter in cmd. Nothing happened, and about 45 seconds later I got this message - Connect request failed

You needed to do all that before trying TFTP.

Heaven only knows why you did this bit:

@CCNE37 wrote:

I then downloaded the tftpd64 software, and installed it. I entered the information into the fields in the boxes as per the "settings" attachment (and the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client).

That is redundant when you enable TFTP in Windows.

Then there is this bit:

I changed the server interface to the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2)I219-V - I did notice that in front of this description was a IP address of 169.254.227.39 - I was expecting it to be 192.168.1.1.

That too is well off piste.

Perhaps the instructions do not make it clear.

The idea is that you disconnect the PC from everything else. Just plug it into the "broken" router.

But I see that @myersw has already commented on that.

This bit is odd:

I have checked and the firmware is back where it was before I believe, which is the same as the firmware version I used for the transfer via TFTP. I am very hesitant to try the firmware update again.

This could mean one of two things:

• the firmware you wriote to the router with TFTP was the original on the R7000 rather than the latest
  • the R7000 recovered because it was in recovery mode and TFTP had nothing to do with bringing it back to life

Given the unclear nature of your account, only you know which applies. But as I have said several times, even though they can work, the TFTP instructions that Netgear provides do not apply to a router that is in recovery mode, with a flashing white power LED.

We don't know how you applied the original firmware update that caused you this grief. If you did it with Wifi, then repeating the process with a wired connection is a lot safer, and is what Netgear recommends.

The safest option for updating is to read the manual and to follow the instructions for a manual firmware update.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 54 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

Michael

You clearly did not read my later posts where I got the router working again.

I did tell you what happened the first time - the message was "Connect request failed". I have no idea what you are on about ?

I don't believe I did anything in the wrong order or failed to follow instructions the first time - it just didn't work (which is mentioned in the instructions that you might have to try more than once !

I obviously did do all of the router stuff (turning off & on etc) before clicking PUT or Enter on the tftp stuff. I think I said that.

The reason I tried the TFTP software is pretty obvious - because the Windows 10 TFTP client did not work (Connect request failed) - if one method doesn't work then try another method.

I have no idea what you mean by "That too is well off piste." The reason I had to select this option was that the alternative option was "127.0.0.1" is a software-only loopback interface" which clearly was not correct.

I did connect the PC from everything else - as the other poster commented, the random IP address was probably due to a connection not being seen.

I suspect the reason that the firmware in the router currently is not the latest is probably due to the "recovery" firmware I chose to use (the one that was "applied" with TFTP) was not the latest because it appeared as if the latest firmware had failed to load which is what got me into this mess. I initially thought that the "new" firmware was the same as what I had a couple of days ago before the "update" attempt, but I think that there is some subtle differences, so I do believe that the earlier version that I applied with TFTP has been implemented.

I applied the original firmware over a wired connection (the desktop does not have wifi) - probably where I could have improved the chances is by downloading the firmware to HDD and "manually" rather than allowing Netgear to download and apply it. I used "Check for new version from the Internet", whereas I should have used "Locate and select the upgrade file on your hard disk"

I believe I followed the firmware instructions completely (there really isn't much to do if you select the "Check for new version from the Internet" option - I have had the R7000 for over 4 years and this is not the first time I have updated firmware, but it is the first time the process has failed.

Message 55 of 68
Highlighted
Guru

> You needed to do all that before trying TFTP.

Not really.  Read it again.  (Repeat as necessary.)

> That too is well off piste.

Someone is.

> I obviously did do all of the router stuff (turning off & on etc)
> before clicking PUT or Enter on the tftp stuff. I think I said that.

That was clear enough to some of us.  Others of us seem to
misunderstand many things.

Message 56 of 68
Highlighted

@CCNE37 wrote:

Michael

You clearly did not read my later posts where I got the router working again.

Not guilty. Read my message again and you will see that I quote from several of your replies, including the one that said you had got it working.

I was just trying to understand what went on and where it went wrong first time around.

@CCNE37 wrote:

I did tell you what happened the first time - the message was "Connect request failed". I have no idea what you are on about ?

The bit about "Connect request failed" comes some way after the earlier reference to TFTP commands. You described several steps that you took in between those two statements.

I turned off the R7000, plugged in the network cable to my desktop PC, turned the router back on, waited for the solid orange power light to start flashing white.

That is the whole point. You have to be logical about these things. Don't do stuff in a random order.

Take this bit:

@CCNE37 wrote:

I believe I followed the firmware instructions completely (there really isn't much to do if you select the "Check for new version from the Internet" option

Nope. As I explained, while "Check for new version from the Internet" often works, that is not the most reliable way to update the firmware.

That can miss new versions and "hotfixes" that have yet to reach the update server. It also cedes control of the update process to the Internet download from the update server.

Heaven help you if that goes wrong. It can lead to the very symptoms that got you in the first place.

The best way is, as I suggested, to manually update the firmware.

Here's how to do this with the latest version for the R7000:

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.88 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But do read the health warnings before diving in. The new firmware may break something that is important to you.

That is another reason for eschewing the automatic update process.

By all means use that as an alert for new firmware, but when you see that message, go do it manually.

By the way, your "success" message does not say which firmware version you are now on. That makes it hard to know exactly what went on in the process you eventually used.

I have checked and the firmware is back where it was before I believe, which is the same as the firmware version I used for the transfer via TFTP.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 57 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Has anyone gotten past this part ? My power led just turns orange then shuts off while the other led indicators are just flashing like crazy so i have no idea what to follow 

Message 58 of 68
Highlighted

@3arc wrote:

Has anyone gotten past this part ? My power led just turns orange then shuts off while the other led indicators are just flashing like crazy so i have no idea what to follow 

You have just  joined in on the end of a long and messy conversation, with recent contributions from someone who did not have the classic "bricked" device, with the orange power LED.

I see that you already have several discussions under way. Sadly, your responses there don't make much sense. Especially the last one:

Re: R7000 power Led stays orange when turned on af... - NETGEAR Communities

I see you have started yet again.

R7000 ac1900 has amber light after a firmware upda... - NETGEAR Communities

Stick with that. You won't learn much from this conversation.

Just another user.

Message 59 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

I am a little puzzled.

In this thread you seem to be saying that your power light turns solid orange, and then turns off while the other lights continue flashing ?

In the thread you started in August (linked above), you seemed to indicate the same symptoms as I experienced above (in this thread) - where the power light turns solid orange and then starts flashing white ? These two scenarios are clearly quite different.

And in the thre third thread (linked above), you refer to not seeing the 10 flashes after the orange light, which seems to indicate that you are trying to follow the instructions by holding in the reset button while you power on the router and not seeing the flshing light.

I am no expert (clearly as referenced in the above conversation), but if you have the same symptoms as me - turn router off, turn router on (without holding in the reset button), lights go through their start up sequence (where all lights flash at some point), the power light turns solid orange for a while, and then starts a slow flashing white.

If this is what you see, then I can tell you that folling the TFTP process did work for me eventually (it took a few attempts). I have Windows 10, so I used the built-in TFTP client in Win 10, so I cannot comment as to how this would work on a Mac

I also tried following the instructions by holding in the reset button, and this never got me to a flashing light. I was advised that if it got to the white flashing power light without holding in the reset button, that I should try the TFTP process anyway (without touching the reset button), and it did work eventually.

Message 60 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you this thread has been very informative I've read all 3 pages of these back & forth replies if it wasn't for you guys my router would still be sitting in my room collecting dust

Message 61 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey it's all good I finally got the router working yesterday i stumbled upon this old thread & saw the issue you were having i gave up on the reset method with the paper clip & just waited till the power led switched to white then entered tftp 1st try transfer successful 

Message 62 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Message 63 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Message 64 of 68
Highlighted
Tutor

That was the problem! Thank you so much. I didn't realize those were buttons, I thought they were just indicator lights.

Message 65 of 68
Highlighted
Tutor

Hey, my scenarios is aslo same, TFTP worked but the light is still blinking, did you fiund any other solution?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 66 of 68
Highlighted
Guru

> Hey, my scenarios is aslo same, TFTP worked but the light is still
> blinking, [...]

You can find many things in this thread, but I don't see that
symptom.

Message 67 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

After several tries, it worked! I used the TFTP Client for Mac.  Be sure to wait for the firmware to install.  I was able to unbrick the router.  My plan is to hardwire it to the router as that gives far superior performance compared with just extending the wireless network.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 68 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements