Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: R7000 AC1900 Bling power light after failed firmware update

@myersw , apologies...I attempted an OTA update via the app. It'd always worked before, but now I'm seeing that TFTP might be the way to go from here on out. Also, I realized I initially commented on the wrong thread, I have a 6700v2. Similar issue, though. I think I'm figuring it out now, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 26 of 68
Highlighted
Master

@eealdrich wrote:

@myersw , apologies...I attempted an OTA update via the app. It'd always worked before, but now I'm seeing that TFTP might be the way to go from here on out. Also, I realized I initially commented on the wrong thread, I have a 6700v2. Similar issue, though. I think I'm figuring it out now, keep your fingers crossed for me.

OTA with app is a good way to get a brick. Better to login with browser or better yet download and do a manual update. 

The tftp way needs some patients as it is some wait time dependent. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 27 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yeah, I have (sadly) discovered that. I think I just got lucky all of the other times. I'm doing everything correctly, yet I keep getting a "connect request failed" error in response to my tftp cmd string. Argh.

Message 28 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just tried pinging it, no response, request timed out. Is this a lost cause? It's outside the warranty but their fw update caused the brick, so I'm not entirely sure what my chances on getting any support from Netgear are.

Message 29 of 68
Highlighted
Master

@eealdrich wrote:

I just tried pinging it, no response, request timed out. Is this a lost cause? It's outside the warranty but their fw update caused the brick, so I'm not entirely sure what my chances on getting any support from Netgear are.

May be able to recover using serial to usb cable assuming you have a windows PC. Works for routers besides ones listed. Has helped me more then once. 

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-debrick-or-recover-netgear-r7000-r6300v2-or-r6250-wi-fi-rou...

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 30 of 68
Highlighted

OK, Got the tfpt Feature enabled.

CMD - one necessary addendum :  cd to folder where the R7000.... .chk file is so the command can find the file to apply

Mine still failed becase no connection to Router/Network could be established.

Tried numerous times. The Router would not allow a signal in.. It's Dead Jim..

Out $172

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 31 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks a lot. This has unbricked my device. 

So terrible that a firmware update through the gui would cause this! Fortunately I was able to do this with TFTP, etc.

Really unclear and outdated support documents. Fortunately these did work. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 32 of 68
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] This has unbricked my device.

Which "This"?

> Really unclear and outdated support documents.

About which "documents" are you complaining?  What, exactly, was
"unclear" or "outdated"?  (When you join a months-old thread there is
often some potential for "outdated".)  Were these (unspecified)
"documents" as unhelpful as this complaint about them (whatever they
are)?

> CMD - one necessary addendum : cd to folder where the R7000.... .chk
> file is so the command can find the file to apply

Do you mean like this?:

4. Change the command prompt directory to your desktop. To change
         directory, type in cd desktop.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634

I'll admit that:

1. Download and save the router's firmware onto the desktop of
         your computer. [...]

could have been clearer about exactly which file needed to be where.

In my experience, suggestions for improvement in these documents have
no visible effect.

Message 33 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

If you're doing it wirelessly and your connection dropped then most likely the firmware update would not be successful. If you're doing it wired but then something happened like you accidentally turn off the router's power, lost the connection etc. then update would not be successful. Fixing this problem is not that difficult. Just make sure that you could ping the router, use tftp tool and load the firmware. Wait for the update to finish and that's it.

Message 34 of 68
Highlighted

I performed the firmware update wired in directly from router to cable modem (500 mb/s).

first indication something was not going to plan the power light was still blinking yellow (i’m Color-blind, so I think it’s yellow) at 22-23 minutes after the initial download . I was sure that the install should not take that long so I started (using my phone) looking for FAQ/Anserws to question, “now what, firmware install seems frozen after 22 minutes”.

most responses indicated it was a fail. Triy communicating with router using app or browser.

that was a fail too. Could not communication with router. Tried the tftp tool route. Not successful because router was not responsive to wired or wireless communication. The Windows machine I used could not see nor communicate with the router in any way. It’s toast. I bought a new router. I needed connectivity the following morning and it was imperative I have a router as doing biz on a cell phone was out of the question.

thanks for your interest and help!

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 35 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mine is exactly the same and also use for business so will be taking it back to the store today!

NetGear need to properly test thier software updates, this should not happen!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 36 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

I got the same problem when I updated firmware on line yesterday. Very frustrated. Just glad to find out this forum and I could solve the problem thru the attached link. It is quite complicated to me as not really technical in computer. But still it works. Thanks.

Netgear really need to check how come updating firmware can result in bricked router where I do not have such experience in other devices such as NAS.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 37 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the link.  I have a power button blinking red and followed the TFTP instructions, got it to the point where it shows me block #0 and then.... I wait.  30 minutes later nothing has changed.  I clicked break and then tried it again to get to the same no result spot.  Any other ideas what might be plaguing my extender?  Thanks.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 38 of 68
Highlighted

@Alawck wrote:

Netgear really need to check how come updating firmware can result in bricked router where I do not have such experience in other devices such as NAS.

Netgear and everyone else.

Sadly, this is an industry wide issue, probably because everyone buys the same chipsets from a limited range of suppliers.

There are ways around it – such as having two banks of memory, loading into a spare bank and then switching banks after the update – but that costs more than most people want to pay.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 39 of 68
Highlighted

@czechczick wrote:

.... got it to the point where it shows me block #0 and then.... I wait.  30 minutes later nothing has changed. 

Not sure what that means. It is the whole TFTP process that we need to know about.

What prompts do you get?

TFTP is not the easiest thing to manage. So it can be a good idea to find a video that walks you through the process.

Timing seems to be important. You have to start the TFTP process at the right time.

It can take several attempts to get that right.

One thing to try before you start is the "recovery reset",  which is more severe than the regular factory reset.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 40 of 68
Highlighted
Sensei

> [...] followed the TFTP instructions, [...]

_Which_ "the TFTP instructions"?

One of the problems with joining an old, long thread like this is
that no one knows which part(s) of it might apply to your situation.

Message 41 of 68
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did as your instruction, but the process of copying the firmware file into the router did not occur.

Message 42 of 68
Highlighted

@khoahamai wrote:

I did as your instruction, but the process of copying the firmware file into the router did not occur.

No one knows what "your instruction" might be from the many messages in this year-old discussion .

No one knows what messages you got when you tried to do whatever you did.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your unknown problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Just another user.

Message 43 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

I have recently tried a firmware upgrade on my R7000, and it never got past the dreaded white blinking power light.

I found these threads, and tried a few things, including the tftp process.

I cannot get the tftp process to start because I cannot get past the step that says "Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing".

The steps from the "How to upload ...." instructions;

• Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.
  • Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.
  • Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.
  • Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing.
  • Count at least 10 flashing power LED and release the reset button.

Mine just seems to go into a cycle where the power light goes solid orange, and then all lights flash a few times, and then the power light goes orange again and the cycle repeats. It is only afterI release the reset button that the power light stays orange for a while and then starts flashing white.

So, I never get to the point I can count the power light flashing 10 times before releasing the reset button, so I cannot actually start the tftp process.

I have tried starting the tftp process anyway, but it never gets anywhere.

Has anyone experienced this problem or ahve any thoughts about how to get around it ?

Message 44 of 68
Highlighted

@CCNE37 wrote:

...the power light stays orange for a while and then starts flashing white.

You seem to have got the thing into "tftp recovery mode".

Have you tried the next steps?

See if the specified tftp commands work.

By the way, you have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want more help with your problem, start your own discussion.

Just another user.

Message 45 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the instructions. I read it that I had to keep the reset button pressed in until the power LED started flashing white (10 times). This does not happen - even after several minutes.

The light only turns from orange to white flashing after I release the reset button. Am I misunderstanding the instructions ? Can I start the tftp process without waiting for the power light to flash white (while the reset button is still pressed) ?

I tried the tftp steps 3 times anyway after I let it cycle throught the lights sequence a couple of times, and nothing happened.

I thought it best (perhaps incorrectly) to join this thread because it describes precisely what happened to my R7000 - I attempted a firmware upgrade yesterday, and the router never got past the blinking power light after the reboot step in the firmware upgrade. Many other forums get annoyed when someone starts a new thread identical to a relatively recent one covering the same topic. If you think it is best that I start another new thread I can do that though.

I am new to the router forum, but in my experience after a couple of years in the Arlo forums, the Netgear support team rarely chimes in on any thread - perhaps their monitoring is better in this forum ?

I am actually pretty annoyed that I cannot even contact support free because my R7000 is 4 years old. It is their firmware upgrade that failed and bricked my (up till now) perfectly good router after all. I have been upgrading firmware on various things including expensive full frame cameras without a mishap until now.

Message 46 of 68
Highlighted

@CCNE37 wrote:

The light only turns from orange to white flashing after I release the reset button. Am I misunderstanding the instructions ? Can I start the tftp process without waiting for the power light to flash white (while the reset button is still pressed) ?

I am confused.

Tell us what the power LED looks like now.

Just another user.

Message 47 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

Sorry, I will try to clarify.

I power down the router, press the reset button and hold it in, power on the router. The lights start coming on. The power light (and others) turn a dull white colour, pause, then it turns bright orange, pause, then goes the dull white again, pause, then bright orange again, and just repeats this cycle as long as the reset button is held in.

If I release the reset button the power light turns bright orange for a while, pause, then starts blinking white on and off.

According to the instructions - the 4th and 5th dot points below (if I am understanding them correctly), I am supposed to hold the reset button in until the power light starts blinking white.

The steps from the "How to upload ...." instructions;

• Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.
  • Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.
  • Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.
  • Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing.
  • Count at least 10 flashing power LED and release the reset button.

In my case this will never happen as long as I hold the reset button in.

So, my question is - am I misunderstanding the instructions, and, in fact, I should be releasing the reset button to start the power light blinking, and then start the tftp process, OR, is there a problem with the router where it should be starting to blink (with the reset button still pressed) but it isn't.

Is this clear now ?

Right now, the power light is blinking white as it has been doing for 24 hours since the failed firmware update.

Message 48 of 68
Highlighted

@CCNE37 wrote:

Right now, the power light is blinking white as it has been doing for 24 hours since the failed firmware update.

That's what I wanted to know. The rest is a repeat of what you had said before.

This means that your R7000 is not in what many call the "bricked" state. As long as this is the power LED, and not the Internet LED.

In other words, the instructions on the TFTP page are not appropriate. They are there for a power LED that is solid amber.

The whole point of all that button pressing is to get it into the recovery mode. That';s the flashing white light.

You said earlier:

I tried the tftp steps 3 times anyway after I let it cycle throught the lights sequence a couple of times, and nothing happened.

I'm afraid that "nothing happened" doesn't help much in diagnosing what is happening.

What happens when you try the tftp operation?

Even when TFTP fails there will be messages. What do they say?

Just copy and paste into a new message.

Please do not repeat all those "steps taken" yet again.

As to this bit:

I am new to the router forum, but in my experience after a couple of years in the Arlo forums, the Netgear support team rarely chimes in on any thread - perhaps their monitoring is better in this forum ?

You seem to have missed the point.

Apart from the fact that the Arlo team pops up regularly there, more than the Netgear teams intervenes here, that was the whole point of my comment.

You have joined in on a conversation that started more than a year ago. Hundreds of messages appear here every day, many of them added to old discussions. If the Netgear team spent all of its time chasing those red herrings, it would never get round to checking new messages. The people who raised the issue to begin with have almost certainly moved on to other things.

Just another user.

Message 49 of 68
Highlighted
Luminary

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I started again this morning.I followed the instructions in this link (https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP), except the bit about pressing the reset button.

I changed my IP address in properties to 192.168.1.1. I saved the R7000 firmware download file R7000-V1.0.9.64_10.2.64.chk to my desktop. I changed my Windows 10 settings to "turn on" tftp server. I opened cmd, and changed to the desktop directory.

I entered the command tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R7000-V1.0.9.64_10.2.64.chk into cmd.

I turned off the R7000, plugged in the network cable to my desktop PC, turned the router back on, waited for the solid orange power light to start flashing white.

I then pressed Enter in cmd. Nothing happened, and about 45 seconds later I got this message - Connect request failed

I then downloaded the tftpd64 software, and installed it. I entered the information into the fields in the boxes as per the "settings" attachment (and the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client). I changed the server interface to the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2)I219-V - I did notice that in front of this description was a IP address of 169.254.227.39 - I was expecting it to be 192.168.1.1.

I turned off the R7000 again for about 20 seconds, turned it on, waited for solid orange light to turn to a flashing white light and pressed Put.

I got the pop-up error message 10051 -  can not send packet data. Tftp server may have been stoppedError code 10051 [A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network.]

I repeated this process again but this time entering the 169.254.227.39 IP address in the host box, and got the same error message.

I appreciate an assistance with this. I will also post this into a new thread I have started on the same issue.

Message 50 of 68